2023-24 Portal Options | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Time to get our swagger back.

If we land that kid from TTU, land JJ and keep Judah, Red should get a raise before the season starts.
its going to be wild if autry coming in and shedding JB's system and rigid ways...brings back the glory days...simply by becoming much more appealing to recruits.

overnight success is possible in this new era...hopefully it happens.

Two observations:

1/ I really like Starling's game, but what I love more is that he is most likely a multi-year player. So, if/when Mintz departs 12 months from now, we are not starting over in the backcourt. That is one aspect of the portal that I don't think anyone comprehends just yet. How do a series of one-year players affect a program over the course of 5-10 years.

2/ I don't know this, but I wonder if Starling's final prep year at La Lumiere (Ind.) is now working in our favor (after initially helping ND's push). In other words, he's been away from home for the last two years and he has legit pro asperations. So, why not go home for a few years, feel the love and be around his family and support structure?
If we are good next season, which requires JJ to be good next season, he will be a first round pick in 2024.

Shot the ball terribly, including from the free throw line. Was lazy on defense(that can be fixed) and had more turnovers that assists. I don't disagree he's a great athlete.

Yeah hoping the ball handling and defense can be corrected by not playing ND ball. A lot of poor numbers on that roster this year in terms of efficiency on both sides of the ball.

JJ isn't coming to be a backup so either Joe is gone or Mintz is gone. I also dont see Joe starting for 4 years and then saying sure I will be a 6th man in my 5th year. So JJ looks to me like Joe is out 1000%

JJ isn't coming to be a backup so either Joe is gone or Mintz is gone. I also dont see Joe starting for 4 years and then saying sure I will be a 6th man in my 5th year. So JJ looks to me like Joe is out 1000%

Even early in the year I thought the consensus was Joe wasn't going to do a 5th year here. That said as some have noted around Joe and Newhouse.. not sure why he would leave if that came about.

Also its important to remember that a system/style change can make lineups look much different size wise. 3 or 4 guards could even be in play.. time will tell. Personally I hope he moves on taking a 5th year somewhere he can put up monster numbers.

Agreed JJ is only coming to start. Hopefully he's replacing Joe, not Judah. JJ and Judah starting, and Quadir and Justin playing off the bench, is a ferocious backcourt. Both JJ and Judah shot 30% from 3 freshman year. Judah's numbers will go up, as will JJ's I imagine.

Even early in the year I thought the consensus was Joe wasn't going to do a 5th year here.

I agree but people on here keep mentioning he might be coming back but I think JJ seals that he wont be coming back.

Assuming we land him..which looks good.

AT WORST, it's a Judah replacement. Always have to be ready and we've seen the past whatever years, we've had our pants down assuming guys would come back.

AT BEST, it's a really exciting backcourt. The most exciting backcourt coming into season since MCW days, maybe?

Love Joe for all of the grit and leadership he put in here, but reality is we need a massive upgrade on the defensive side and JGIII is always going to be a liability on that end.

JJ makes a ton of sense to pair with Judah (who I think ultimately tests the NBA and gets feedback to return to school). A JJ + Judah background would really elevate the team.

Shot the ball terribly, including from the free throw line. Was lazy on defense(that can be fixed) and had more turnovers that assists. I don't disagree he's a great athlete.
All good. One quibble: he did not shoot "terribly" (he was three makes from being at the magical 33% mark). But he can certainly shoot better. That's fair. That is where you have to watch/study his form. It is rock-solid and he can create his own shot to boot. He also took a good number of shots for ND at the end of the shot clock. We need some of that. Joe did that in the Wake game and it did not go so well.

Work to be done, but Starling has serious potential.

Assuming we land him..which looks good.

AT WORST, it's a Judah replacement. Always have to be ready and we've seen the past whatever years, we've had our pants down assuming guys would come back.

AT BEST, it's a really exciting backcourt. The most exciting backcourt coming into season since MCW days, maybe?

We know Judah wants to win.. i have to think this is incentive in favor of a return. Also- if anyone watched Judahs real where he was at the barber...they were talking about JJ a bit given ND was in town...plus JJ commenting on Judahs posts too.

All good. One quibble: he did not shoot "terribly" (he was three makes from being at the magical 33% mark). But he can certainly shoot better. That's fair. That is where you have to watch/study his form. It is rock-solid and he can create his own shot to boot. He also took a good number of shots for ND at the end of the shot clock. We need some of that. Joe did that in the Wake game and it did not go so well.

Work to be done, but Starling has serious potential.
The free throw percentage for a guard is not good. He's going to be an attack the rim guard and will live there. He needs to get that in the 75-80% range.

We know Judah wants to win.. i have to think this is incentive in favor of a return. Also- if anyone watched Judahs real where he was at the barber...they were talking about JJ a bit given ND was in town...plus JJ commenting on Judahs posts too.
Yeah was very similar to Symir commenting on Buddy's posts a bunch near the end of the 2021 run.

Also its important to remember that a system/style change can make lineups look much different size wise. 3 or 4 guards could even be in play.. time will tell. Personally I hope he moves on taking a 5th year somewhere he can put up monster numbers.
Yep, and with a more uptempo team, having 4 guards who can all play is a luxury. With Q and Starling being 6'4"+ they're basically SF size for college ball anyway.

The free throw percentage for a guard is not good. He's going to be an attack the rim guard and will live there. He needs to get that in the 75-80% range.
Agreed. Again, look at his form. He is going to be a 70%+ guy (I would guess ~75%).
(he shot 76% at La Lumiere as a HS senior)

Starling absolutely can/will attack the rim, but he won't do it as much as Mintz does.

He could stand to become a better finisher too. He only shot about 57% at the rim this season, which was slightly worse than Mintz (61%) despite being bigger than him. For comparison, Triche was around 65% his senior season.

Love Joe for all of the grit and leadership he put in here, but reality is we need a massive upgrade on the defensive side and JGIII is always going to be a liability on that end.

JJ makes a ton of sense to pair with Judah (who I think ultimately tests the NBA and gets feedback to return to school). A JJ + Judah background would really elevate the team.
6th man Vinnie Johnson role would be perfect for Joe.

PgEt1G5B_normal.jpg

Verbal Commits

@VerbalCommits
·
3h
Notre Dame G J.J. Starling has entered the transfer portal. http://verbalcommits.com/players/jj-starlin