2023-24 Portal Options | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

If we had the fully focused, attacking Benny, he could play for anyone. That just doesn't happen that often.

I want both Benny and Brown back. Their games' arent' similar enough and both can help a winning team.
Definitely want Brown back, he showed some nice game this season and awareness on the court. Honestly Benny needs to mature and get his head on right. If he is right then sure. If he is going to sulk on the bench if pulled then happy to have him move on. New coach, new team and new attitudes required.

With Jesse and a couple more strategic additions, we could actually be a dangerous team again next year, so long as Autry is a reasonably competent bench coach.
I think this is a top 25 team; could be one our most athletic teams. If Judah bolts go after Curtis Pride. If Jesse leaves, I’d love Joel Soriano

Judah Mintz 6-3 So PG MD or
JJ Starling 6-4 So G NY
+Andre Jackson 6-6 Sr G/F NY
Benny Williams 6-9 Jr SF/PF MD
Jesse Edwards 6-11 Grad C NL

Quadir Copeland 6-6 So PG PA
Justin Taylor 6-6 So SG VA
+Quincy Guerrier 6-8 Grad F PQ
Malik Brown 6-8 So PF VA
Mounir Hima 6-10 Jr C Níger
Peter Carey 6-10 Fr PF MA
William Patterson 7-0 Fr C NYC

I think this is a top 25 team; could be one our most athletic teams. If Judah bolts go after Curtis Pride. If Jesse leaves, I’d love Joel Soriano

JJ Starling 6-4 So G NY

Malik Brown 6-8 So PF VA
That team makes a lot of sense and is a top 15 team. Could make a deep run in March too. That starting lineup is MADE for a fast paced, push the tempo offense. That would be a lot of fun to see in the dome and a great defensive team as well. Sign me up. The crazy part is it’s a very realistic team too. If Jackson transfers we have a shoe in and same with Quincy. Just not sure if Quincy would want to come off the bench. But that’s a very realistic team. I get the sense that of Judah comes back, Jesse is gonna wanna come back too cause he knows the team can do well. And from my understanding it’s looking like Judah is going to come back. Still might test the waters in the NBA but ultimately he comes back.

That team makes a lot of sense and is a top 15 team. Could make a deep run in March too. That starting lineup is MADE for a fast paced, push the tempo offense. That would be a lot of fun to see in the dome and a great defensive team as well. Sign me up. The crazy part is it’s a very realistic team too. If Jackson transfers we have a shoe in and same with Quincy. Just not sure if Quincy would want to come off the bench. But that’s a very realistic team. I get the sense that of Judah comes back, Jesse is gonna wanna come back too cause he knows the team can do well. And from my understanding it’s looking like Judah is going to come back. Still might test the waters in the NBA but ultimately he comes back.
Quincy is only averaging four points a game at Oregon. I’d love to see him come back and be the captain of the second team because the rest of the second unit are sophomores. I believe red was Quincy’s primary recruiter too.

Quincy is only averaging four points a game at Oregon. I’d love to see him come back and be the captain of the second team because the rest of the second unit are sophomores. I believe red was Quincy’s primary recruiter too.
He's averaging 8.7 averaged 10 last year.

Oregon is a long way from home for him to spend 3 years. Can't see him not starting over Benny realistically he never looked unplayable for us while Williams has really struggled at times.

In Pro sports guys typically do well when traded back to their original teams assuming they aren't too old so I'd like to see it.

No, we'll still need someone who can score in the low post, or else we'll be playing 4 on 5 next year.

What I'd like to see defensively is for Autry to adopt the Pitino / Louisville approach. 2-2-1 zone press to force teams to use clock, then fall back into the 2-3 zone. But don't play the forwards so high.

Don't play them at the foul line to exclusively defend the three, and then leave your center to cover the foul line, low post, and BOTH corners! If you keep the forwards 5 feet closer to the baseline, they can still close out on wing shooters, and they can also defend the corner, and get more rebounds because they are closer to the baseline.

With the guards, the strong side guard plays the ball and the weak side guard hedges halfway between the foul line and the 3 point line. As the ball switches sides, the guards slide to the opposite position.

This takes away a lot of the weaknesses of the way we play the zone. And don't forget, these guys may not have loved it, but they have been trained how to play it. It's already in their "kit bag".

But then, also have them ready to play an aggressive, in your face man. If we use a more defensively sound zone press, and can play man, too, then that's a great combination of defenses, You have a "Plan B" and a "Plan C" that don't rely on doing fundamentally unsound things on defense.
I will be extremely disappointed if AA plays zone more than 5 minutes per game. If he is mainly a zone coach next season then the hire was a mistake.

I will be extremely disappointed if AA plays zone more than 5 minutes per game. If he is mainly a zone coach next season then the hire was a mistake.

I think it's a great tool if you use it right. Not this "all the time" version with its obvious flaws the way JB played it, fully selling out to put 4 guys on the 3 point line, with only your center to cover the other half of the court and nobody to rebound. Pitino won a Natty at Louisville using a mix of a zone press, and then falling back into a 2-3 zone.

I think it's a great tool if you use it right. Not this "all the time" version with its obvious flaws the way JB played it, fully selling out to put 4 guys on the 3 point line, with only your center to cover the other half of the court and nobody to rebound. Pitino won a Natty at Louisville using a mix of a zone press, and then falling back into a 2-3 zone.
You are missing the essential issue; playing the zone seriously limited our recruiting. The coaches better be out there telling the recruits that SU is now a MTM team - we should know soon if this is the case.

Is Donovan Clingan happy at UConn? Could he be a portal
kid after the season is over with especially if he doesn’t get his numbers during the dance? He only gets 10-15 minutes per game but averages 7 pts and 6 rebounds during that time. If Sanogo comes back for Sr year then DC numbers might not change as much.

You are missing the essential issue; playing the zone seriously limited our recruiting. The coaches better be out there telling the recruits that SU is now a MTM team - we should know soon if this is the case.

OK, I get that. Guys want to play man. But we have a bunch of 98 pound weaklings, for the most part. Who are the lock-down defenders in our front court? Yes, we have good guards, but who is going to stop anybody one-on-one in our frontcourt?

We might start out playing man, but we're not structured to play man exclusively with this roster. I think the zone is a great weapon, if it's not the only tool in your kit.

If we ONLY play man, what are we going to do when that doesn't work? Because there are games that there will be negative match-ups that can be exploited against us.

It only takes one weak link to beat a man defense, and then you attack the guy who can't stop his opponent, over and over.

You always have to have a Plan B.

OK, I get that. Guys want to play man. But we have a bunch of 98 pound weaklings, for the most part. Who are the lock-down defenders in our front court? Yes, we have good guards, but who is going to stop anybody one-on-one in our frontcourt?

We might start out playing man, but we're not structured to play man exclusively with this roster. I think the zone is a great weapon, if it's not the only tool in your kit.

If we ONLY play man, what are we going to do when that doesn't work? Because there are games that there will be negative match-ups that can be exploited against us.

It only takes one weak link to beat a man defense, and then you attack the guy who can't stop his opponent, over and over.

You always have to have a Plan B.
We can hope.

JJ Starling 6-4 So G NY

Malik Brown 6-8 So PF VA

I don't think Jackson is a good fit. We already have too many non-shooters.
Getting Guerrier back would be interesting, but would he willingly rebound?

Maybe this question has been asked before but could a pro come back to college and play if he has eligibility? It all seems so muddied to me and heck, why not get Melo back if ya can...he has 3 years left.

So many posts I read have Jesse coming back (which I have asked about before) but do we actually think that he is? Any sources giving out that kind of info?

So many posts I read have Jesse coming back (which I have asked about before) but do we actually think that he is? Any sources giving out that kind of info?

It doesn’t seem like anybody “knows” anything for sure, yet.

But, it does seem that, given his GF is now on the coaching staff for Cuse Field Hockey, that him returning to school is not out of realm of possibility.

Hopefully we’ll know one way of the other soon, so Red & crew know who to prioritize in the Portal.

Clearly, if Jesse does not return, then a skilled C jumps up to the top of the wish list, along with a do-it-all Forward.

Many good teams play both man and zone, depending on matchups and situations. For us, playing the zone exclusively was the problem, especially when it was not working and for players/recruits, because it is not an NBA scheme. In terms of recruiting, it's not a good sell but I doubt kids would have an issue with it being a small part of the overall defensive plan. Pitino had great success with it at Louisville and Coach K at Duke.

It only opened today. So, "#1" is relative to time.
As others have said in this thread, watch who enters the portal as their teams are eliminated from post-season tournaments, or coaches move on.
well he is rated a 96 by 247, that wouldve made him #3 last year behind Emoni Bates &Tyrese hunter, whom were both rated 99 last year.

Brown runs the floor better than anyone and catches everything. He will thrive in a wide open game.
Yeah I think Brown’s athleticism is severely overlooked simply because he doesn’t have big time bounce and play above the rim. He actually moves really well and has excellent hands. Against the press I thought he did a great job staying in front of the ball and gets his hands on a lot of passes. I remember him saying he played wr and qb in high school so could explain some of it.

I think going with a 3 guard lineup would be fun. Basically what Baylor does. Get two big fowards to man the paint.

Grab Charles Pride and go with Mintz, Starling, and Pride as your guards. Or the best guard available that we can get.

You have 3 lethal scorers that are matchup problems on offense.

If the other team is big and runs half court sets then you insert another forward in place of guard.

I think going with a 3 guard lineup would be fun. Basically what Baylor does. Get two big fowards to man the paint.

Grab Charles Pride and go with Mintz, Starling, and Pride as your guards. Or the best guard available that we can get.

You have 3 lethal scorers that are matchup problems on offense.

If the other team is big and runs half court sets then you insert another forward in place of guard.
If we run a 3 guard lineup, i like Judah, JJ and Andre Jackson. I saw Andre play at the big east tournament last week and he is really like a point forward. He’s a great rebounder, can push the ball end to end and is one of the most electrifying athletes in the country. His defense is top notch and his shooting is his only limitation. It would be ideal if we could platoon him at small forward with Chris Bell, who is a one dimensional elite shooter.

If we run a 3 guard lineup, i like Judah, JJ and Andre Jackson. I saw Andre play at the big east tournament last week and he is really like a point forward. He’s a great rebounder, can push the ball end to end and is one of the most electrifying athletes in the country. His defense is top notch and his shooting is his only limitation. It would be ideal if we could platoon him at small forward with Chris Bell, who is a one dimensional elite shooter.

Why in the world would Andre Jackson come here? Have you heard something? He is on his way to the NBA soon. He also has a good team at UConn.

Why in the world would Andre Jackson come here? Have you heard something? He is on his way to the NBA soon. He also has a good team at UConn.
Rumor I read earlier, him and Hurley are sick of eachother