2023-24 Portal Options | Page 132 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

I think this is the great advantage that Griffin and GMAC have as assistant coaches. I think they’re both exceptional with player development within their position groups. Let Red and Straughn use their influence to attract DMV and NYC/NJ/Philly talent
A lot of people had Pitino and Cooley on their list of who they wanted to replace JAB, and both have done a good job portalling. Obviously, so has Red and he has arguably upgraded the coaching staff, or at least the recruiting aspect of it.

Assuming 74 is a done deal, let the coaches get the new schemes implemented and hope for success. Bring in another experienced playmaker and that's a roster with potential.

Just wave a lawyer in the face of the NCAA and they'll back down.
Or just ignore them. They are toothless and need to be treated as such. It's a shame we treated them with respect in the past. They owe us, bigtime, but they will always try to mess with us.

The students will claim mental health issues to get the transfer waiver. Dangerous game for the NCAA to start making judgments on student athletes’ mental health. Sure it will get abused by the kids to get waivers, but it’s a big loophole they will use to their advantage.
God i hope not. Mental health issues are not something to use as an excuse to play a sport.

If McLeod is not sure that he wants to go to Syracuse, cut bait and try to concentrate on another center (several have entered the portal in its last days). Realize that you just can’t turn around and say to a partially unknown transfer “come to Syracuse”. There has to be a fit with what the player and team needs are.

Perhaps they can pull another Mintz like talent except being more a big man like they did last year with Mintz at the 23rd hour. Also remember the coaches were not completely sure if Andrew White was going to show up as a transfer until he was on campus.

Red and staff should be reaching out to other centers right now. A couple hit the portal that could be serviceable. Every time in the past that Syracuse put all their eggs in one basket and focused in on one recruit we have been burnt and left with nobody. Don't make the same mistake regardless of what this kid is telling you. Clearly, if he wanted to be Orange he would be Orange seems like we are a backup option or he is just stringing us along to see if something better comes up. Either way we should be calling the kid from Kansas and see what his plans are and see if he would come for a visit.

Red and staff should be reaching out to other centers right now. A couple hit the portal that could be serviceable. Every time in the past that Syracuse put all their eggs in one basket and focused in on one recruit we have been burnt and left with nobody. Don't make the same mistake regardless of what this kid is telling you. Clearly, if he wanted to be Orange he would be Orange seems like we are a backup option or he is just stringing us along to see if something better comes up. Either way we should be calling the kid from Kansas and see what his plans are and see if he would come for a visit.
Yeah I am with you on this one. If a guy is delaying because he is looking for a "better offer " perhaps, then he is not going to be all in on what Red is trying to do and honestly if that's the case I would just pull the offer and say good luck in finding the school you want to be at.

By the way, why is McLeod leaving Florida State? Because it was a dumpster fire last year, or he won't get enough PT, or something else?

And does anyone know what the staff thinks of him? I'm having trouble gauging where McLeod puts us especially if we're not playing zone much anymore.

That's the new game sadly.
And even more sadly, many athletes are not known about doing things other than for self interest. And the same goes for their posse.

By the way, why is McLeod leaving Florida State? Because it was a dumpster fire last year, or he won't get enough PT, or something else?

And does anyone know what the staff thinks of him? I'm having trouble gauging where McLeod puts us especially if we're not playing zone much anymore.

He is a massive dude at 7-4 255 who can run the floor well. His numbers per 40 are pretty solid but he is not by any means someone you would run your offense through. A good candidate for Griff to work with to maximize what he can give us. He is more experienced than say a guy like Udeh who is a similar player a few inches shorter. Given Reds comment on versatility I don't see any Center being brought in to play more than 20-25 mins a game. So with that he makes sense as an option. It doesn't hurt us that much if we successfully pivoted to one of the other guys left, Kante included. I still like the idea of a 7-4 guy who can rebound, alter shots and run the floor.

Seems like he's working on the mental health waiver incase he enters the portal next year too.

His game is really getting old.

I'm in the minority but I don't view McLeod's antics as gamesmanship. It's a big decision and a fair amount of programs contacted him. He's likely also negotiating NIL or at least discussing NIL potential. There's a dearth of centers in the portal so he's in demand right now--more so than he's ever been given he's not an elite prospect. All the deleting of posts could be because things are rapidly changing (e.g. he planned to go to Miss St and then the school canceled last minute). And, if he's not fully sold on Cuse, that's not his problem, it's the staff's.

However, it's a two-way street, and I fully hope the staff has contacted Udeh. He's better anyway. Why not take a swing at a better player, while also putting pressure on McLeod to commit now before he visits others.

He is a massive dude at 7-4 255 who can run the floor well. His numbers per 40 are pretty solid but he is not by any means someone you would run your offense through. A good candidate for Griff to work with to maximize what he can give us. He is more experienced than say a guy like Udeh who is a similar player a few inches shorter. Given Reds comment on versatility I don't see any Center being brought in to play more than 20-25 mins a game. So with that he makes sense as an option. It doesn't hurt us that much if we successfully pivoted to one of the other guys left, Kante included. I still like the idea of a 7-4 guy who can rebound, alter shots and run the floor.
Is McLeod essentially a more advanced version of Hima?