2023 Division I Men’s All Americans | Syracusefan.com

2023 Division I Men’s All Americans

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Thought we could have one thread for all post season All American lists. Here is US Lacrosse Magazine’s.

Honorable Mention:
Joey Spallina, Attack
Will Mark, Goalie

FWIW Jake Stevens was Honorable Mention as well.

Thought we could have one thread for all post season All American lists. Here is US Lacrosse Magazine’s.

Honorable Mention:
Joey Spallina, Attack
Will Mark, Goalie

FWIW Jake Stevens was Honorable Mention as well.

Wish they counted Kirst as a middie but I guess he did play a good amount of attack this season. Still they seem to give guys the middie label pretty liberally. He had an incredible year. 37 points, half at middie, and never played on man up. Dodged scored and drew slides against all kinds of different match ups.

Wish they counted Kirst as a middie but I guess he did play a good amount of attack this season. Still they seem to give guys the middie label pretty liberally. He had an incredible year. 37 points, half at middie, and never played on man up. Dodged scored and drew slides against all kinds of different match ups.

Yeah really wish he played his whole career for the Orange. He will be missed!

The ranking of goalies is a joke in my opinion. Liam Entenmann plays for one of the best defensive teams in the country and seems to be rewarded because of that. I am not at all convinced that he is the best goalie in the country but I know he is lucky to have played for ND and faced fewer shots and less quality shots thanks to good defense and coaching.

Matt Knote had a good year but faced significantly weaker opponents in the Atlantic conference than goalies in the ACC, BIG10 or even the Ivey.

Fracyon very had a strong year and has more credibility IMO than Matt Knote. I personally am ok with Fracyon being somewhere in the top 3 because he played in the BIG10 and was a leader in save %.

The losers here seem to be Will Mark and Michael Gianforcaro at Princeton with Mark being the biggest loser. For him to be honorable mention behind Knote, Entenmann and Fracyon is a travesty.

Mark had to play for Cuse with its porous defense and brutal schedule against the ACC. His save percentage took a huge hit in the ACC games and he still ended up ranked 12th in save percentage. He made 64 more saves than Entenmann. It is yet another demonstration of how stupid some of these awards are. No intelligent recognition of context, strength of opponents etc.

Disgraceful.

I'm expecting and hoping that Mark will be ranked higher in the remaining All-American lists.

Mark had to play for Cuse with its porous defense and brutal schedule against the ACC. His save percentage took a huge hit in the ACC games and he still ended up ranked 12th in save percentage.
thats exactly why he wasnt higher. he was below 50% in all four ACC games in april and in five of six overall. that's not going to get you high-end AA recognition. the performance vs. Duke in early march can only get you so far. his average in ACC games + md + hop + princeton was 48%

if you want to talk about context and strength of opponents, Mark was north of 70% in games against Holy Cross, Vermont, St. Bonaventure and Hobart and over 60% vs. Albany and Hofstra. you want to count those but not the ACC games?

Entenmann is very very good and part of the reason notre dame's defense is what it is is because he is so good. their schedule is no picnic and he brings it almost every week

Last edited:
Is there a freshman all American team or no?

sorry but this season might have been a repeat of last year without mark in cage.

Third Team
G Will Mark Syracuse

Honorable Mention
A Joey Spallina Syracuse
M Cole Kirst Syracuse

Surprised Jake Stevens didn't make it. Congrats to the Orange players who made it. Hope to see a lot more next year. Have to imagine players like Finn Thomson, Owen Hiltz, Jackson Birtwistle, Saam Olexo and Michael Leo have a good chance of making the list next year.

I can't stand when these list makers create "Teams" that have more players than would fit onto a lacrosse field. Kind of takes away the legitimacy of these lists for me when they do that to be honest. Five defensemen listed on first team? Are you kidding me? Four attackmen on first team (in addition to Campbell from Nova listed as middie when he is widely regarded as attackman, as well)? Two goalies on both the second and third teams? Totally defeats the purpose of these lists to do that.

Surprised Jake Stevens didn't make it. Congrats to the Orange players who made it. Hope to see a lot more next year. Have to imagine players like Finn Thomson, Owen Hiltz, Jackson Birtwistle, Saam Olexo and Michael Leo have a good chance of making the list next year.

I can't stand when these list makers create "Teams" that have more players than would fit onto a lacrosse field. Kind of takes away the legitimacy of these lists for me when they do that to be honest. Five defensemen listed on first team? Are you kidding me? Four attackmen on first team (in addition to Campbell from Nova listed as middie when he is widely regarded as attackman, as well)? Two goalies on both the second and third teams? Totally defeats the purpose of these lists to do that.
I think it is a vote counting list. If 2 or 3 guys are tied for spot, there is not much they can do.

I think it is a vote counting list. If 2 or 3 guys are tied for spot, there is not much they can do.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is a new policy. I can't remember USILA lists in the past that included more players than positions allotted. I guess ties don't leave much choice but I assumed that there was a tie-break procedure. Having 2 goalies on team 2 and 2 more on team 3 seems silly.

At the end of the day, having more kids have it on their resume is not a bad thing.

Nice to see Tucker get recognition for his year at Georgetown. I would probably have put him 2nd team but so it goes.

sorry but this season might have been a repeat of last year without mark in cage.
I was thinking same thing but then really marks numbers in acc games were below 50% except believe first time vs duke was above 50%. Don’t get me wrong mark is fantastic goalie and solid. Think with mccool or thompson prob been same results almost except scores might of been worst in some of them. But i think team and defense would of still beaten everyone they did. Grant think hopkins and first duke game might of been not close games like they were. I think overall defense just wasn’t up to acc standards. Offense was clearly legit. Not taking away anything from mark he’s def best goalie we had in few years. I just think we still end up bout same record as did maby not winning princeton game if anything. But our defense vs lower or middle teams held their own well. They did not vs acc teams which clearly was best teams this year. Maryland game feel was more fogos for reason that game wasn’t that close. But either way still stoked have mark n hopefully he def coming back.

I was thinking same thing but then really marks numbers in acc games were below 50% except believe first time vs duke was above 50%. Don’t get me wrong mark is fantastic goalie and solid. Think with mccool or thompson prob been same results almost except scores might of been worst in some of them. But i think team and defense would of still beaten everyone they did. Grant think hopkins and first duke game might of been not close games like they were. I think overall defense just wasn’t up to acc standards. Offense was clearly legit. Not taking away anything from mark he’s def best goalie we had in few years. I just think we still end up bout same record as did maby not winning princeton game if anything. But our defense vs lower or middle teams held their own well. They did not vs acc teams which clearly was best teams this year. Maryland game feel was more fogos for reason that game wasn’t that close. But either way still stoked have mark n hopefully he def coming back.
I think his percentages will be higher next season with a better defense in front of him vs ACC teams. Gotta have that lockdown defender like Duke and ND have let alone UVA has two this yr. Injuries hurt us with Figg and even Clary wasn't the same after he got hurt. Think of some of the open shots guys like ONeal, Cormier, Dickson exc..took on Will? He got peppered those ACC games vs Duke, ND, UVA and even UNC the first game. A lot of it had to do with face offs and wing play too. Transfers can help that which already Stevens playing wing will be huge.

Yea i think kol was the weak link. Yes our dmids at times weren’t great but that’s where teams attack mostly so it’s bound to happen. But i felt that wasn’t where a lot of goals scored on us came from. Uva n dame game n last duke game kol was main issue. I thought dwan was right move when clary went down but also thought take kol out as he just refused to stay with his guy and would leave his man alot. He also seemed more focused on preparing to slide before called for it. I think if maby of changed him things may of been better. Mean everyone else can play good d but if one man is leaving his dude or sliding for no need guys gonna feed the ball to that open man. Fig being back sure help but only think if he’s with the right other two guys. My mind be dwan fig n cacameo think should be starting 3. With olexo clary at lsm. At times can throw olexo down low if want. But think he’s needed on wing and in transition. Also have beck kasynski or something plus still like that frettrigo kid. Kol just don’t think has the IQ speed or footwork to be starter vs acc guys. Plus like to go with some taller dudes make up some more ground kol isn’t small but beck is tall dwan is tall and believe we have another guy who’s 6:3 or more witherspoon maby. But feel have some young quicker talent on d like to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom