2023 Fall Ball | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Fall Ball

Flipped around watching this game yesterday. Small thing really but that is not English on this putback. He is #27 with the orange stick head who sets the pick at the beginning of the play. How hard is it to give out correct roster numbers before the game starts? Very hard apparently. Good news is he was a match up nightmare for team USA. He has seriously quick feet. Totally different style than Kirst, but he will be able to replace his dodging and drawing slides for us. Seems impossible to not pole out of the midfield, which leaves opportunities for dodgers like Leo. Had some great passes too.

Finn Thomson had some looks as well but did not quite land a point in this one. Still can create a heck of a lot out of two-man game looks and feeding in tight situations, even if he is not a dodger. Knows exactly where to be off ball as well. Would not surprise me if the starting mid line is Leo Thomson and English. Think he would compliment their dodging well.

Flipped around watching this game yesterday. Small thing really but that is not English on this putback. He is #27 with the orange stick head who sets the pick at the beginning of the play. How hard is it to give out correct roster numbers before the game starts? Very hard apparently. Good news is he was a match up nightmare for team USA. He has seriously quick feet. Totally different style than Kirst, but he will be able to replace his dodging and drawing slides for us. Seems impossible to not pole out of the midfield, which leaves opportunities for dodgers like Leo. Had some great passes too.

Finn Thomson had some looks as well but did not quite land a point in this one. Still can create a heck of a lot out of two-man game looks and feeding in tight situations, even if he is not a dodger. Knows exactly where to be off ball as well. Would not surprise me if the starting mid line is Leo Thomson and English. Think he would compliment their dodging well.
I didn’t think it was English either.. if you watch the replay, you can see him in the background next to the guy who took the original shot. So in order for him to get over there he would’ve been the fastest dude on the planet…lol

i heard from an ohio state parent that owen duffy was the best player on the field in the scrimmage against carolina. not what you want to hear if you are a cuse fan. i thought he was the best player coming out of high school, better than millon, and that it wasnt close. he reminds me of michael sowers...

i heard from an ohio state parent that owen duffy was the best player on the field in the scrimmage against carolina. not what you want to hear if you are a cuse fan. i thought he was the best player coming out of high school, better than millon, and that it wasnt close. he reminds me of michael sowers...

Not trying to come off as a jerk here, but what does being a Cuse fan have to do with it? I think he’ll be a problem for just about everyone, equally. On FanLax a poster said he finished with 3,3 against Van Burren.

You were pretty dismissive of Carolina having to rely on a freshman earlier this offseason. It’s also, as you reminded us earlier, just fall ball.

Not trying to come off as a jerk here, but what does being a Cuse fan have to do with it? I think he’ll be a problem for just about everyone, equally. On FanLax a poster said he finished with 3,3 against Van Burren.

You were pretty dismissive of Carolina having to rely on a freshman earlier this offseason. It’s also, as you reminded us earlier, just fall ball.
cuse is going to be playing against him more than most teams. i thought that was obvious. just like joey spallina is a bigger problem for unc than he is for georgetown, penn state, michigan, and yale. i am still skeptical of carolina overall. doesnt change the fact that duffy will be a lot to deal with for 4 years. and yes fall scores are meaningless... but when a freshman looks like the best player on the field and scores 6 points on an all-american defenseman, that is an observation that should perk ears up

Was told he was very good. Was also told the Matan is very big and slow and No Pietro on the field. Didn’t suit up. Apparently still hasn’t recovered from his injury.

No idea how our D will matchup when we get to that game but we have a guy that has handled Duffy in HS.

*UNC parent also said our game against them will be played at Good Counsel again. *

Last edited:
Was told he was very good. Was also told the Matan is very big and slow and No Pietro on the field. Didn’t suit up. Apparently still hasn’t recovered from his injury.

No idea how our D will matchup when we get to that game but we have a guy that has handled Duffy in HS.

not as high on matan. though he has dealt with some injuries too...

dom will be good to go for the season but its fair to wonder how much of an impact he will have after missing so much crucial time at the start of his career. its hard enough to come back from an injury like that but to miss your freshman and soph fall ball...his talent will break through at some point but it prob wont be immediate

for cuse, i doubt he will get much run this year but i am very high on chrishawn hunter. ive seen him play a bunch as i volunteer for a program that works with westtown...hes a real special athlete and a great kid. rooting for him

cuse is going to be playing against him more than most teams. i thought that was obvious. just like joey spallina is a bigger problem for unc than he is for georgetown, penn state, michigan, and yale. i am still skeptical of carolina overall. doesnt change the fact that duffy will be a lot to deal with for 4 years. and yes fall scores are meaningless... but when a freshman looks like the best player on the field and scores 6 points on an all-american defenseman, that is an observation that should perk ears up

Got it. Thought you were implying that Cuse had missed out on him on the recruiting trail or something like that. Point received. Appreciate the insight.

Good stuff from Terry. The first half was mostly about the Olympics.

Syracuse-wise he touched on Odierna and the defense. He called his approach a 180 from Petro, and that his main goal was to simplify the defense. I think that is music to a lot of peoples ears on this board who thought things were a bit over complicated recently.

Overall he said the team was a lot more “unified” and practice wasn’t so much about offense vs defense. Sounds like the the sophomores are making that next step and the new guys are meshing well. He had positive things to say about Spallina, Mule and Deere specifically. He really thinks Mule will help take a lot of the ball distribution pressure off Spallina’s shoulders.

I especially liked how he ended the interview, when speaking about the offense, “there’s more talent than available opportunities on this roster and I think it’s going to manifest in a really good team, and really good season”. Here’s hoping!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom