2023 Maui Classic | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Maui Classic

I can smell that video. So strong you can taste it.

Very sad. If they play, looks like Pechanga Arena in San Diego is free for the dates of the tournament as well.

This is is incredibly sad. When I was at the Maui tournament in 2013, our two favorite restaurants in Lahaina were Honu and Mala, both on Front Street, and both now destroyed. At least I have five beautiful wine glasses from Honu. More importantly, I hope the wonderful people we met there are okay.
May be an image of text

Last edited:
I would say the Maui Invitational is my third favorite basketball tournament after the NCAA Tournament and former Big East Tournament. There's just something about it that makes you feel good. It's the same tiny gym every year, so you get used to the optics of it. It's Monday-Wednesday of Thanksgiving week so everyone is in a good mood from the four day weekend ahead. SU never loses in it, so it's always three straight days of great hoops. It's always Bilas/McDonough on the call. And I love the footage of paradise that they show inbetween games when it's like 30 degrees where I am.

I really hope they can get back to normal as soon as possible.

53 people now deceased. Very sad situation. Updates from MSN. MSN

55 now. Also reporting that is only those found outside. They are awaiting FEMA to bring their hazmat suits to begin searching through the inside of buildings. Hopefully not but very possible that number may tragically go much higher:(

I would say the Maui Invitational is my third favorite basketball tournament after the NCAA Tournament and former Big East Tournament. There's just something about it that makes you feel good. It's the same tiny gym every year, so you get used to the optics of it. It's Monday-Wednesday of Thanksgiving week so everyone is in a good mood from the four day weekend ahead. SU never loses in it, so it's always three straight days of great hoops. It's always Bilas/McDonough on the call. And I love the footage of paradise that they show inbetween games when it's like 30 degrees where I am.

I really hope they can get back to normal as soon as possible.
It’s my favorite ESPN content for certain. #1 was the 24/hr tip off marathon which they killed when CBB wasn’t deemed worth promoting.

ESPN should bring back the marathon as a fund raiser for Maui honestly it’s so synonymous with the sport.

I’d rather they cancel than move it and bring the same teams back next year so SU can be part of the first tournament after the tragedy. Everyone can find a couple of games likely one home one away vs other teams in the field and take a small sos drop.

It’s my favorite ESPN content for certain. #1 was the 24/hr tip off marathon which they killed when CBB wasn’t deemed worth promoting.

ESPN should bring back the marathon as a fund raiser for Maui honestly it’s so synonymous with the sport.

I’d rather they cancel than move it and bring the same teams back next year so SU can be part of the first tournament after the tragedy. Everyone can find a couple of games likely one home one away vs other teams in the field and take a small sos drop.
It was great watching Monmouth at 6am while I was up getting ready to go to work

The level of destruction to Lahaina seems unbelievable. I guess if the Civic Center is intact, the tournament should still go on; I wonder if the team is spending Thanksgiving in Vegas.

The level of destruction to Lahaina seems unbelievable. I guess if the Civic Center is intact, the tournament should still go on; I wonder if the team is spending Thanksgiving in Vegas.

The civic center will be critical as a shelter and likely ends up being a location( one of at least) for Fema operations to work out of. . Finding a place for 7 teams and staff plus family and fans in a city devastated and burnt to the ground with thousands needing their own housing- it seems far more reasonable to hold it elsewhere, with more capacity to boot- that can be a fundraising event for the people of Lahaina.

Having been part of dealing with disaster recovery in the past, at least on the housing side of it, I find it extremely unlikely and difficult for this to be held here in 3 months. If they can make it work that's wonderful so long as it's all in the best interest of the community. Also remember that this isn't like the continental U.S. where transporting goods, fema trailers and cleanup equipment is so easily done. It's an island and what limited resources they have across the island will help but much will need to be shipped in. Luckily Hurricane season has been quiet to date at least in terms of available resources.

Last edited:
Based on the reports of more than 1700 buildings being impacted by the fires and the entire area of Lahaina practically gone, there is no way the tournament will go on there this year.

The only way I see it going on is if they just bring in just the teams, and then televise it on ESPN...all games with a fundraising effort going on at the same time, with celebrity sports figures etc, and also have the teams do some community service work there to help build or clean up. But even that probably takes too much added work, too soon. They can do the fundraising portion and hold it elsewhere and make it a big deal for helping to rebuild Lahaina.

The only way I see it going on is if they just bring in just the teams, and then televise it on ESPN...all games with a fundraising effort going on at the same time, with celebrity sports figures etc, and also have the teams do some community service work there to help build or clean up. But even that probably takes too much added work, too soon. They can do the fundraising portion and hold it elsewhere and make it a big deal for helping to rebuild Lahaina.

Yeah.. as others have of course made comment to the dome... and while I realize it'd self serving to an extent... it would be something special to aim to get a packed dome with patrons raising all the money for these folks... with Dino involved to go with.. we have the facility to really maximize bringing in so much money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom