2023 MLB Playoffs Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023 MLB Playoffs Thread

I only saw the play as it happened, and not any replays. How far did Harper go before turning back?

I do wonder if Harper should have run to a position about 20 feet past second base (although to be fair maybe that is where he was at) . If the ball falls in, I believe he scores from that spot... and that also gives him enough time to tag back up, if caught.
He was about 18 feet past 2nd base. I don't think it was bad base running as the odds of getting a run in from first with two outs in the 9th are low. In looking at the replay, I don't understand why he turned back to look for the catch as he was already in no mans land. Just my opinion. He was aggressive not stupid.

How can you have 3 days off during a 5 game series? (the NL Series)
Too much IMO. Totally changes the dynamic of the way a pitching staff can be managed, with no penalties for over use.

Last edited:
How can you have 3 days off during a 5 game series? (the NL Series)
Too much IMO. Totally changes the dynamic of the way a pitching staff can be managed, with no penalties for over use.
Even though I think it benefits my Braves with starting pitching with Morton hurt and Bryce Elder struggling, I agree.

the odds of scoring with 3 outs are lower though.. he cant go past the pt that he can get back.. Given the play if harris doesnt catch it and he is at 2nd he probably still scores or they end up 2/3 with 1 ou.

Is there any reason not to just bet the dog in every series like hockey? Game 1 Turner in ATL turns an incredible double play, this game he boots two routine plays. So random. That said that series looks over ha, what a gutpunch.

Is there any reason not to just bet the dog in every series like hockey? Game 1 Turner in ATL turns an incredible double play, this game he boots two routine plays. So random. That said that series looks over ha, what a gutpunch.

To me baseball has always been the most random playoff amongst the big 4 sports. But it was always typically played by teams that all had good regular seasons for the most part, so it didn't come across as random as the NHL which had 16 teams all of which could do well.

As MLB expands to 12 teams in the playoffs, and weaker teams get in, it might start to look more random. I guess that is the biggest advantage of the bye (as compared to hockey) - those teams that make it are not much better in a short series, but one less series to get knocked off in.

Can't sit thru a game in the regular season but the playoffs have been great. MLB has the missed call aspect really figured out - something the NFL could really use. Games are getting unwatchable. Too many rules.

Dodgers about to lose to a team they finished like 20 games ahead of for the second straight year.

These byes are stupid. These best of 5 quick cheap series’s are stupid.

I guess next year we should try to go 86-76 or something. Assuming we hit 86 wins, we should just lose every game on purpose after that. To avoid getting rusty - play real baseball for like 7 innings, and after that put in someone to throw batting practice level pitches until we’re losing if needed. To avoid wrecking someone’s stats, just sign a scrub pitcher for a huge amount of money(way more than they’d ever get otherwise) to come in and take a dive for us.

I’m dead serious. It’s a disadvantage to win your division.

Dodgers about to lose to a team they finished like 20 games ahead of for the second straight year.

These byes are stupid. These best of 5 quick cheap series’s are stupid.

I guess next year we should try to go 86-76 or something. Assuming we hit 86 wins, we should just lose every game on purpose after that. To avoid getting rusty - play real baseball for like 7 innings, and after that put in someone to throw batting practice level pitches until we’re losing if needed. To avoid wrecking someone’s stats, just sign a scrub pitcher for a huge amount of money(way more than they’d ever get otherwise) to come in and take a dive for us.

I’m dead serious. It’s a disadvantage to win your division.
The way it's looked so far, a seven game series would only prolong things one more game. :)

I miss Corey Seager. He should’ve been a career Dodger.

I'm a big baseball fan, but I gotta say these playoff games have seriously lacked suspense. Very few nailbiters.

I'm a big baseball fan, but I gotta say these playoff games have seriously lacked suspense. Very few nailbiters.
I'm enjoying seeing other teams in the mix and doing well. Also reminded how little I follow during the regular season as I find myself saying "who is this guy" followed by "he hit 32 dingers and drove in 100?"

Rangers cooking the Os.
Disappointing end to a fantastic season. Rangers were tough most of the year. O’s are still ahead of schedule, with more future stars down in the minors. Losing their closer really upset the bullpen usage, but that was just a small part of this series result.
It doesn’t count in their ongoing regular season run, but this is the first time the Orioles have been swept with Rutschman on the team (and he didn’t hit very well in the series). Coincidence or inevitability?
Looking forward to the offseason, now that the stadium is done and the family lawsuit is over.

Disappointing end to a fantastic season. Rangers were tough most of the year. O’s are still ahead of schedule, with more future stars down in the minors. Losing their closer really upset the bullpen usage, but that was just a small part of this series result.
It doesn’t count in their ongoing regular season run, but this is the first time the Orioles have been swept with Rutschman on the team (and he didn’t hit very well in the series). Coincidence or inevitability?
Looking forward to the offseason, now that the stadium is done and the family lawsuit is over.

The lack of hitting from Adley, Mullins, O'Hearn and Hays was brutal. Adley had a few awful at bats which had not seen all year. Grayson makes worse start since May in game 2 and I think between the 3 starters they got less than 8 innings. In those innings they gave up 20 hits, 6 walks and who knows what else.

Only bright spot was Gunnar. Once they didn't get a win with Bradish it was going to be tough and Means was out with elbow soreness as well which was hoping he could start game 2 or 3. Oh and Mateo was great in game 2 after hitting like garbage from mid May through September. Have to think Mateo, Gibson, Frazier and maybe Mullins will all be moving on. I expect Gunnar/ Holliday/Westburg to be the infield from game 1 next season. Urias as utility.

Seems to be a debate who the long term SS will be, I always thought they would move Gunnar back to 3rd when Holliday gets called up but not so sure. Could it possibly be Westburg at 3rd, Gunnar at SS and Holliday at 2nd? Like I said, I always thought it would be Westy at 2nd, Gunnar at 3rd, Holliday at SS. I still think Holliday is the SS from game 1 next year with Gunnar at 3rd but food for thought.

Great year, disappointing that they lost in the playoffs like they did but Texas is red hot.

Got about a 4 maybe 5 year window. I don't see the Orioles offering huge contracts to anybody though. You would hope they could lock down Adley and Gunnar sooner rather than later but not so sure they will do it.

Last edited:
Wild that the Rangers got Jake and then Scherzer from the Mets, neither could do much this year for them due to injury and yet here they are in the ALCS

Looks like Bryce rose to the occasion tonight. And then some.

Would be nice Freeman or Betts or both would do the same. Neither one has done squat this series.

Rough game for the Bravos. <yikes>
I was at the first game which was tough, but nothing like today.
The 2nd game was much more to my liking.
We'll see what tomorrow has in store...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom