2023 NY Mets thread | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

How good is Counsell?

Over his right full seasons managing the Brewers, they have the third best record in the NL, behind only the Dodgers and the Braves.

He finished second in the NL manager of the year award 2 and 4 years ago and probably will win or finish second again this year.

Here is a good article on him from a couple of years ago…

How good is Counsell?

Over his right full seasons managing the Brewers, they have the third best record in the NL, behind only the Dodgers and the Braves.

He finished second in the NL manager of the year award 2 and 4 years ago and probably will win or finish second again this year.

It all starts with the leadership and Steve seems to want the best he can get.

Odds were recently set for the first pick of the 2024 draft. The Mets have the eighth best chance of getting that pick.

Really hoping to get one of the top 6 picks.

The Mets are supposed to pick ten spots back from where they would normally pick because they exceeded the salary cap so egregiously. But if they finish with a top 6 pick, they get to keep that spot.

Getting in the top six will take a little luck but not that much. Fingers crossed.

How good is Counsell?

If I was a Mets fan, I'd be real happy if he was the choice. He's done well in Milwaukee with fewer resources than Cohen will be able to provide.

Rangers' Max Scherzer again addresses being traded by Mets

It’s just I got put in a corner where if I don’t accept this trade then we are going to be trading other guys across the roster. 'If you are not going to let us trade you then we are going to move other people.' At that point, I had to make a baseball decision."

The Mets will name Carlos Mendoza their next manager, a source told MLB.com's Mark Feinsand on Monday afternoon. The club has not confirmed the news.
Mendoza, most recently the bench coach of the Yankees, also interviewed with the Guardians and Giants, who previously had managerial vacancies.

Mets to hire Mendoza from Yankees as next manager (source)

The Mets will name Carlos Mendoza their next manager, a source told MLB.com's Mark Feinsand on Monday afternoon. The club has not confirmed the news.
Mendoza, most recently the bench coach of the Yankees, also interviewed with the Guardians and Giants, who previously had managerial vacancies.

Mets to hire Mendoza from Yankees as next manager (source)
Interesting. Mendoza reportedly really wowed Mets management, including Steve Cohen, during the interview process.

The Brewers reportedly had Vogt as their backup plan but the Guardians snapped him up and with the Cubs grabbing Counsell, Milwaukee has to go to Plan C.

Mendoza is 43 and is from Venezuela. Same country as Alvarez. Same country as Narvaez and the Acuna brothers too. Carrasco is from there too.

He is well respected but I don't think he has ever managed.

The Brewers were going to make Counsell the highest paid manager in MLB and surely the Cubs matched or beat that offer. I doubt his asking price was too rich for the Mets. I think the Mets chose Mendoza because they thought he was a better fit.

Time will tell.

Carlos Mendoza’s Mets role could be telling about what managers are supposed to do these days

MSN

The Mets made some moves yesterdaY.

Non tendered 5 players. Vogelbach was one. They also let Brigham, Coonrod, Gott go.

I will miss Guillorme, who made some nice contributions the last 5 years or so. Good fielder and usually a tough out. I am sure he will get a job somewhere else in short order.

Vogelbach has regressed enough as a hitter that he just isn’t worth carrying on the roster. He can’t play a position, he can’t run and he can’t hit lefthandlers.

The Mets have younger players with more talent and higher ceilings that make more sense than Luis and Daniel.

I think Maurcio will become the extra infielder, though he might won the starting job at 3B.

I think Vientos will become the primary DH. He can also play 1B and a little 3B.

Brigham, Coonrod and Gott had their chances and failed. Good luck to them.

The Mets only have 28 players on their 40 man roster. Probably the least of any MLB team. I think it means the Mets are going to add a bunch of players over the winter, mostly pitchers. We certainly need an upgrade over the dreck we had in 2023.

Last edited:
I heard some radio talk guys who were Yankee fans yesterday talking about how they'd gotten Juan Soto and not they were going after Yamamoto, which would put them in perfect position to win the championship next year.

It probably would. It would have have put the Mets in the perfect position to win the championship next year. I remembered how much I wanted the Mets to get Soto when he left Washington to pair him with Pete in the middle of our otherwise pedestrian order. Why couldn't we get him this time? Why couldn't the Mets get Yamamoto to pair with his pal Senga? Steve Chen is richer than everybody else in baseball. Couldn't he make those things happen? Or are we just waiting to see if the young guys they called up this and the younger guys they traded for will become superstars?

I heard some radio talk guys who were Yankee fans yesterday talking about how they'd gotten Juan Soto and not they were going after Yamamoto, which would put them in perfect position to win the championship next year.

It probably would. It would have have put the Mets in the perfect position to win the championship next year. I remembered how much I wanted the Mets to get Soto when he left Washington to pair him with Pete in the middle of our otherwise pedestrian order. Why couldn't we get him this time? Why couldn't the Mets get Yamamoto to pair with his pal Senga? Steve Chen is richer than everybody else in baseball. Couldn't he make those things happen? Or are we just waiting to see if the young guys they called up this and the younger guys they traded for will become superstars?
He is a one year rental. If the Mets really want to get him, they can do it next off season. He is reportedly definitely going to test the free agent waters.

I read one report that said the Mets passed on him because they thought he would not be enough for them to win the World Series. Which right now appears to be very true.

Agree Soto is a hall of fame talent. Congrats to the Yankees for getting him.

Mets infielder Ronny Mauricio tears right ACL in winter league, will miss start of season​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom