2023 NY Mets thread | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

At this point we have to be doing some selling now I gotta figure. Poor finish before the break and ugly start after. 9 games back and unlikely a couple of buys are going to be worth it to turn it around.
Keep the young guys definitely but everyone else should be on the market. Verlander and Scherzer should be put out there as trade bait. Canha, Pham, Vogelbach(not that anyone wants him) goodbye. I’d even dangle Alonso to see what they could get for him.

Baseball seems, more so than any other sport, a numbers game. If you have a guy who consistently can get you +war performance you keep them until you project the numbers start to drop. If you don’t have a guy who can give you +war you try as many players as possible until you can find one. For pitchers, the math is even more skewed towards numbers because of how often they get hurt. I’ve never seen a sport like baseball where a player performance can drop off a table so quickly with very little warning sign.

If the Os think Holliday will give them a decade of +war then they should think really really hard about trading him because odds are maybe 1 of the players they get back reaches that level of performance.
Oh, I do not think there is a chance in hell they trade him, that’s why it was a ridiculous proposal. I think him, Henderson, Rutschman, Cowser and Grayson Rodriquez are untouchable. Then they have a handful that would have to bring a great pitcher that was more than just a rental.

Last edited:
Listening to Sports Radio today, I heard multiple interviews with baseball experts, all saying that the Mets would get very little, or at least less than true value, for anyone they might trade at the deadline.

How about we just hold on to what we've got and see if these guys can at least get us a winning record, then see if Scherzer and Verlander are going to retire and trade them if they don't, give Ohtani a serious offer and he says not, go after a couple of less stellar starters who could still fill a rotation spot and are not at the end of the line. Bring back Diaz as the closer and find a way to get our young prospects into the daily line-up.

Pete had his first sac fly RBI tonight. He had 8 last year.

Mets lookin' good at 8-2 in the fourth.

I don't wish to offend anybody but...Gott sucks.

And Baty isn't much of a third baseman. Escobar was much better.

Thank Gott for Alvarez.

11-9 going into the bottom of the 7th.

11-10 after a 5-0 first inning and an 11-4 going into the 7th. Not pretty but I'll take any win we can get.

Alvy two home runs. He has 19: Johnny Bench holds the record for 21 year old catchers with 26.

Pete is now hitting .205.

Oh, I do not think there is a chance in hell they trade him, that’s why it was a ridiculous proposal. I think him, Henderson, Rutschman, Cowser and Grayson Rodriquez are untouchable. Then they have a handful that would have to bring a great pitcher that was more than just a rental.

Agreed, there is no way in hell the Orioles trade Holliday. In fact, I think as things are trending he could be their starter at shortstop to start the 24 season. He's only going to get better as he gets stronger. I think you will see Gunnar at 3rd, Holliday at SS, Westburg at 2nd, Cowser at CF eventually and Kjerstad at 1b. I think Joey Ortiz could be included in a deal. Cowser slumping right now but just has to stay the course. I think Gunnar is just an incredible baseball player. Great athlete, great arm, runs well, power at the plate. Has to keep getting better hitting against lefties. and Rutschman has all the leadership qualities that are tough to come by along with tremendous talent

Coby Mayo also a hell of a prospect.

The Orioles are desperate for a quality starter and Means as they could use a LH starter but he looks like Late August/ September and some better middle relief. I think Wells was exposed a bit last night he just gives up too many home runs. Not sure what is going on with DL Hall either.

Should know more after 4 game series versus Tampa this week

Don't see Mountcastle, Mullins, or Mateo being around much longer and I really like all 3 even with Mateo swinging at every bad pitch out there. You keep Urias because he can play anywhere in the infield.

Last edited:

"While Alonso’s approach hasn’t been altered significantly — his chase rate has gone up a smidge (30 percent to just over 31 percent) — his quality of contact has fallen considerably. His hard-hit rate is down a quarter (from better than 36 percent to 27 percent), his number of barrels is down big-time (from 17 percent of balls in play to under seven) and his average exit velocity has dipped (from just under 90 to right at 86 mph)."

I'm shocked that his 'chase rate' has barely changed. From what I've seen he swings at something way out of the strike zone at least once an at-bat. And he's frequently off-balance, even going down to one knee after an at-bat to avoid falling over.

"Alonso has been the victim of some wretched batted-ball luck: Only one player in baseball history has had a lower batting average on balls in play at the All-Star break than Alonso’s .186 this season (minimum 300 plate appearances). Better luck should mean better results, to an extent."

That might have something to do with his "quality of contract", (see above. A lot of those 'balls in play' have been pop-ups or bouncers back to the pitcher or to the shortstop.

Last edited:
The Yankees thread is blowing up with negative comments. They are three games over .500. We are 9 games worse than them and yet I feel completely desensitized to the Mets absolute failure of a season. Thus is the way it goes after years of watching this team.

"Veteran outfielder Tommy Pham left Thursday’s loss with a groin issue and said “there’s reason to be optimistic” after the game."

"Left-hander José Quintana has started just one game for the New York Mets this season, but he might be on the move soon."

With an 0 for 2 in today's suspended game, Pete is hitting .120 for July. HIs monthly batting averages: .257, .219, .152, .120. I haven't seen anything like this since Ike Davis.

Nice win finishing off the game interrupted by that big storm last night.

Grant continues to impress.

Pham is not available so the Mets are playing short a man (it is hoped he will be okay in few days).

Guillorme was put on the 10 day IL and Danny Mendick, an MLB vet, was called up to replace him.

Josh Walker was brought up to be the 27th man and with many in the bullpen used to finish the first game, is likely going to pitch in the nightcap.

Really need Scherzer to go deep. Guessing the plan is to use Ottavino to pitch the eighth and Robertson the ninth, with Drew Smith possibly pitching the seventh. If David can pitch in both games…

Vientos gets the start at DH. DJ Stewart starts because right now, he is the only other outfielder available.

Surprised DJ got called up, surprised he is still up. But Mauricio is very new to the outfield and the other guys on Syracuse do not look ready. At least DJ has played some in MLB before.

The Red Sox lead the league in errors and it looks like their reputation as a bad defensive team is well deserved. Wow, they are ugly to watch. Could not believe they have Turner at 2B. And Duvall playing CF!

The Red Sox "went deep" on Scherzer. And Gott continues to be less than heavenly.

But I'm excited that Pete went 4 for 8 with two doubles and a triple in the two games. He's back up to .211!

Well this game is not promising. Carrasco got 7 guys out, gave up 10 hits and 2 walks and thus far, 5 guys have scored. Shoe went to Drew Smith who three days ago got 2 guys out, gave up 4 hits and a walk and they all scored. Drew gave up a hit but got two guys out. We're down 0-5 in the third inning and have been out-hit 1-11.

Well this game is not promising. Carrasco got 7 guys out, gave up 10 hits and 2 walks and thus far, 5 guys have scored. Shoe went to Drew Smith who three days ago got 2 guys out, gave up 4 hits and a walk and they all scored. Drew gave up a hit but got two guys out. We're down 0-5 in the third inning and have been out-hit 1-11.
At least Vientos went 3-6?

Pete has driven in all four runs and has hit his first HR since 7/6. Only 372 feet but it's a start. His batting average is back up to .217. He now 8 for 17 in his last five games!

And here comes #2! 432 feet to center field! Pete is back, baby! And Vogel is Bach, too! He hit it 406 to right!. Mets 6 Yanks zip. Keep it going!

Last edited:
Pete has driven in all four runs and has hit his first HR since 7/6. Only 372 feet but it's a start. His batting average is back up to .217. He now 8 for 17 in his last five games!

And here comes #2! 432 feet to center field! Pete is back, baby! And Vogel is Bach, too! He hit it 406 to right!. Mets 6 Yanks zip. Keep it going!
Is it bad that I wish they didn’t win the game? I fear Eppler will use the small sample size to justify doing something stupid. Like trading a prospect pitcher or two for Jonathan India.

Vientos is a good hitter bit a terrible 3B. He has given the Yankees two runs so far. The decision to trade Escobar for Gott looks like another awful move by the always challenged Eppler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom