2023 NY Mets thread | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Vientos is a good hitter bit a terrible 3B. He has given the Yankees two runs so far. The decision to trade Escobar for Gott looks like another awful move by the always challenged Eppler.

Vientos is a DH and maybe a 1B. I wonder what Mauricio will be?

People often question how important defense is, especially in HOF debates. Watch the games!

The all-time composite major league batting average, (from 1876 on) is .262. The Mets and the Yanks are below average.

Last edited:
I don't want to trade Scherzer, Verlander and Robertson and go 10-50 the rest of the season. I just don't.

I don't want to trade Scherzer, Verlander and Robertson and go 10-50 the rest of the season. I just don't.
It sounds like the odds of trading Scherzer and or Verlander are slim to none anyway?

Incompetent GM Eppler trades hot commodity David Robertson (maybe the best RP on the market as long as Hader is not made available) for two 18 year olds in rookie ball? What? Good grief. At least get a good return if you're going to trade him.
Raising the white flag on July 27 means Citi Field will be half empty for August/September games. Did they consider that?

Feel like the DR trade could have waited until 7/30, 7/31. You're telling me you couldn't have gotten a little bit better deal? Sadly, Marco Vargas just became our 6th best prospect (shows how bad the farm is), but still.

Verlander is getting moved IMO. The Mets can eat SO much of that contract for better prospects. The 2023 Mets are not winning the WS, so sell the old guys.

Robertson gone. And so it begins…
I believe this is the first time I have ever seen someone write something positive about an Eppler trade.

Also heard good things about Vargas on the MLB channel on XM radio. I guess we will know if this was a good move for sure sometime around 2027.

I get the disappointment. I am sad the season is essentially over. But if you can get good prospects for players that are going to be free agents, it makes sense. If the Mets really want Robertson after the season, they can sign him as a free agent again. This move is something a good team does to keep the farm system stocked for the future.

In a perfect world, Diaz completes a remarkable recovery and rejoins the team in early September. The Mets have to navigate their way to the end of the season or the return of Diaz without Robertson.

Maybe Grant Hartwig or Drew Smith takes available of this opportunity and shows they can reliably close games. Hope someone steps up because the bullpen was bad before the trade and we are likely going to see bad * 2 now.

I believe this is the first time I have ever seen someone write something positive about an Eppler trade.

Also heard good things about Vargas on the MLB channel on XM radio. I guess we will know if this was a good move for sure sometime around 2027.

I get the disappointment. I am sad the season is essentially over. But if you can get good prospects for players that are going to be free agents, it makes sense. If the Mets really want Robertson after the season, they can sign him as a free agent again. This move is something a good team does to keep the farm system stocked for the future.

In a perfect world, Diaz completes a remarkable recovery and rejoins the team in early September. The Mets have to navigate their way to the end of the season or the return of Diaz without Robertson.

Maybe Grant Hartwig or Drew Smith takes available of this opportunity and shows they can reliably close games. Hope someone steps up because the bullpen was bad before the trade and we are likely going to see bad * 2 now.

"Vargas is tearing the Florida Complex League to shreds this year, walking a quarter of the time while rarely striking out and showing doubles power too. He’s no lock to turn into even an average power hitter, but the early returns there are solid. At just 18 years old, there’s a lot of projecting left to do, and his hit tool will have to do a lot of the work, but it’s a skill set that can work in the majors and has an extremely high ceiling at times"

"In return for Robertson, the Mets received 18-year-old middle infielder Marco Vargas and 19-year-old switch-hitting catcher Ronald Hernandez, both of whom were excelling in the Florida Complex League this year. The pair is well-regarded by evaluators -- particularly Vargas, who multiple sources said could grow into a top prospect -- but unlikely to help the Mets until at earliest 2026."

I wanted a lot more than that for our closer, who has been one of the few bright spots on the season. It's not great news for Buck, who isn't going to be around in 2026 unless this show gets turned around - and might retire by then anyway. And he traded our closer to a division rival who we will be playing 6 more times this year. He'll be coming out of the pen to beat us! I thought we were trying to acquire young arms, not another middle infielder and catcher.

Maybe I'll be happy about this trade in 2026 - at the earliest!

Just looking quickly at who the Mets might call up to take Robertson's place as a relief pitcher, there isn't much to choose from.

They already traded Muckenhirn. I believe he is pitching for the Mariner's AAA franchise now.

Josh Walker is the guy you want looking at the stats and the radar gun. Nice ERA, strikes out a lot of guys. But he has had a couple of chances with the Mets and looked really bad. Maybe they give him an extended chance now to sink or swim? This is what I would do. He has the stuff to be a fine MLB reliever and he is a lefty. We need him to develop.

I believe McFarland was DFA and got picked up by someone else. Pretty sure it was the Orioles.

Nate Lavender is a possibility. He is a lefty who has made a quick progression through the farm system. Never been considered a big prospect.

Stephen Ridings is another option. He throws near 100 mph. Been hurt most of the year. Has been rusty and wild so far. Probably best to wait a bit for him to find his best form.

Good chance they call Sean Reid-Foley up. I think he is healthy now. Been pitching okay at Syracuse. If it isn't SRF, I bet it will be Jimmy Yacabonis.

The Mets got a pitcher named Elieser Hernández from the Marlins over the winter. He has been hurt all year but finally came off the DL. He pitched a couple games for Syracuse and got called up to MLB on 7/24. He is probably going to get some work too.

Incompetent GM Eppler trades hot commodity David Robertson (maybe the best RP on the market as long as Hader is not made available) for two 18 year olds in rookie ball? What? Good grief. At least get a good return if you're going to trade him.
Raising the white flag on July 27 means Citi Field will be half empty for August/September games. Did they consider that?
Based on the prospect dudes…. Both of these guys will be top-15 Mets prospects and one of them will be a top 100 all mlb prospect.

"Vargas is tearing the Florida Complex League to shreds this year, walking a quarter of the time while rarely striking out and showing doubles power too. He’s no lock to turn into even an average power hitter, but the early returns there are solid. At just 18 years old, there’s a lot of projecting left to do, and his hit tool will have to do a lot of the work, but it’s a skill set that can work in the majors and has an extremely high ceiling at times"

"In return for Robertson, the Mets received 18-year-old middle infielder Marco Vargas and 19-year-old switch-hitting catcher Ronald Hernandez, both of whom were excelling in the Florida Complex League this year. The pair is well-regarded by evaluators -- particularly Vargas, who multiple sources said could grow into a top prospect -- but unlikely to help the Mets until at earliest 2026."

I wanted a lot more than that for our closer, who has been one of the few bright spots on the season. It's not great news for Buck, who isn't going to be around in 2026 unless this show gets turned around - and might retire by then anyway. And he traded our closer to a division rival who we will be playing 6 more times this year. He'll be coming out of the pen to beat us! I thought we were trying to acquire young arms, not another middle infielder and catcher.

Maybe I'll be happy about this trade in 2026 - at the earliest!
But he's also a closer on a 1 year deal who will probably bail this offseason.

But he's also a closer on a 1 year deal who will probably bail this offseason.

Unless they re-sign him.

MLB trade grades: Marlins upgrade bullpen; Mets forced to pivot to intriguing future

I'm not big on seeding the farm system through trades: you get a couple of guys. A farm system should have dozens of such prospects to overcome the percentages that these guys will pan out. You get through the draft and player development, not one-for-two trades of productive major league players.

Last edited:
Pete and Dan V are buddies. They always celebrate homers together. That may be why Vogelbach's still on the team.

Gary Cohen was passed a note that said that Pete Alonso's 453 foot home run "would have been out in any ballpark". Gary: "Gee, ya think?"

Left field in the original Yankee Stadium was 461 feet from home plate, farther than center field, (457). That's why Joe DiMaggio hit 148 home runs at home and 213 on the road.

It is nice to see Pete hitting like Pete again. In retrospect, his awful slump appears to have been driven by an at bat where he was hit by a fastball on the hand a couple of months ago.

It was reported he was going to be out for at least 3 weeks but he came back from it much sooner than that. Missed about a week. He struggled for a long time trying to play when not 100%. Glad he is back. Wish the Mets had forced him to stay out until he was really ready to play again.

If one believes the rumors, Pham and/or Canha are likely to be traded as well. The Mets don’t have a lot of depth in the outfield. If they do trade one of these guys, I think we might see Mauricio get called up and take over LF. It looks like he is getting more comfortable there.

It appears he has a strong arm. We know he can run too. This would give Met fans a reason to watch and come to games the rest of the season.

It is nice to see Pete hitting like Pete again. In retrospect, his awful slump appears to have been driven by an at bat where he was hit by a fastball on the hand a couple of months ago.

It was reported he was going to be out for at least 3 weeks but he came back from it much sooner than that. Missed about a week. He struggled for a long time trying to play when not 100%. Glad he is back. Wish the Mets had forced him to stay out until he was really ready to play again.

If one believes the rumors, Pham and/or Canha are likely to be traded as well. The Mets don’t have a lot of depth in the outfield. If they do trade one of these guys, I think we might see Mauricio get called up and take over LF. It looks like he is getting more comfortable there.

It appears he has a strong arm. We know he can run too. This would give Met fans a reason to watch and come to games the rest of the season.

Where can I cast my vote for sutomcat for GM of the Mets? You seem to have a much better handle on the team the Eppler.

I agree if the Mets are going to tank then tank and check out what the young guys can do.

I hope Eppler is exploring what he can get for Vientos… he seems like a decent hitter but not someone who is going to move the needle that much. Then again he hasn’t gotten a shot yet because the Mets are giving Vogelbach time so that they can… actually I have idea why Vogelbach is getting at bats on a team going nowhere. Yet another demonstration of the lack of any coherent strategy from Mets leadership.

I also wonder when they are going to call this guy up:

This has video of each:

Last edited:
I also wonder when they are going to call this guy up:

This has video of each:

He isn’t on the 40 man roster right now and there really isn’t a slot for him to play (Vientos is the right handed DH/backup 1B).

If they bring up Mauricio, I guess they could send Mendick down to make room (Ronny could also fill in at 2B and SS). But Guillorme is coming off the DL soon. He might be of value to another team but he isn’t a good long term fit for the Mets. Maybe if Canha or Pham get traded, he will be called up and then traded almost immediately.

I hope he ends up back in MLB for a team that will give him PT. He has done a great job in his brief time in Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom