2023 NY Mets thread | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

He isn’t on the 40 man roster right now and there really isn’t a slot for him to play (Vientos is the right handed DH/backup 1B).

If they bring up Mauricio, I guess they could send Mendick down to make room (Ronny could also fill in at 2B and SS). But Guillorme is coming off the DL soon. He might be of value to another team but he isn’t a good long term fit for the Mets. Maybe if Canha or Pham get traded, he will be called up and then traded almost immediately.

I hope he ends up back in MLB for a team that will give him PT. He has done a great job in his brief time in Syracuse.

That would be the Mets, through and through.

That would be the Mets, through and through.
It would be the smart play. Get something for nothing. Alonso is going to be our 1B for the next few years anyway.

Vientos is imho a better option long term.

I doubt they can pull it off but we can hope.

Last edited:
If the Mets can get at least one top 5 level prospect, preferably a young pitcher, this makes sense. Max is not happy, he isn’t pitching well and I think it is clear this year is done. Hearing Brock Porter might be part of this. He is the #4 prospect for the Rangers.

SNY just confirmed Max has waived his no trade clause. Looks like the end of his career with the Mets.

Edit: looks like Acuna’s little brother might be part of the deal. Very good prospect (only 5’8) but not a superstar. And it looks like the Mets will be sending the Rangers more than just Max. Shudder.

Last edited:
I don't want to trade Scherzer, Verlander and Robertson and go 10-50 the rest of the season. I just don't.
One more to go for the trifecta. If the 10-50 record happens, I’m coming to you for lottery numbers.

I've always preferred the bird in the hand over the one in the bush, (and draft and develop young players). Sometimes I'm right. Sometimes I'm wrong.

Brock Porter was the top-rated high school arm in the 2022 draft. Sure, it's a long way from where he is to the majors, but he's a legit gamble on greatness.

I wonder who's gonna pay the bulk of Scherzer's remaining salary in this deal...

If the Mets can get at least one top 5 level prospect, preferably a young pitcher, this makes sense. Max is not happy, he isn’t pitching well and I think it is clear this year is done. Hearing Brock Porter might be part of this. He is the #4 prospect for the Rangers.

SNY just confirmed Max has waived his no trade clause. Looks like the end of his career with the Mets.

Edit: looks like Acuna’s little brother might be part of the deal. Very good prospect (only 5’8) but not a superstar. And it looks like the Mets will be sending the Rangers more than just Max. Shudder.

This Acura is MLB’s #44 prospect. Plays SS and 2B. Very fast. Already at AA. Guessing the Mets wouid convert him to OF. Probably CF.

We would probably see him in Syracuse next season.

Hoping we get two top level prospects here. Brick Porter would be great. Conflicting reports out there on this.

Brock Porter was the top-rated high school arm in the 2022 draft. Sure, it's a long way from where he is to the majors, but he's a legit gamble on greatness.

I wonder who's gonna pay the bulk of Scherzer's remaining salary in this deal...
Reports are saying the Mets are sending a significant amount of cash to Texas….

Players are apparently set but negotiations continue on money. Andy Martino has hinted the Mets are getting someone else but not major prospect. Sounds like the reports about Brock Porter might be wrong.

Last edited:
Hopefully this deal and whatever they get from Verlander will get them some good talent, but more importantly get then out of cap hell so they don’t have their draft pick drop 10 spots and lose all that signing bonus. I know we all want to win… but this is a more sustainable path to year after year of winning vs having to hope for overperformance from a bunch of dudes who are 33+.

Evan Grant says the Mets will get three prospects, including Acuna. He thinks the biggest holdup is getting Max to agree to opt in and play for Texas next season.

Evan Grant says the Mets will get three prospects, including Acuna. He thinks the biggest holdup is getting Max to agree to opt in and play for Texas next season.
LOL There is no way Max is opting out of that contract after the season. This is just an attempt by him to get a few more bucks from the Rangers. It will probably work too.

Additional bonus they can hold on to Verlander for next year if they want. I think he’s better value than Max anyways… Max has looked cooked since the run in and the playoffs last year.

LOL There is no way Max is opting out of that contract after the season. This is just an attempt by him to get a few more bucks from the Rangers. It will probably work too.
He and Boras do a great job getting money out of desperate clubs. Kudos to them for that.

Sounds like one of the other prospects is Thomas Saggese. Another SS. #15 prospect for Texas. He is hitting .315 in AA this year with 15 HRs. Not sure why the Mets are obsessed with shortstops but it looks like we are getting a couple more.

Assuming the deal goes through….

Last edited:
Deal on hold. Max wants to retain the option to opt out after this season.

I predict the Rangers will pay him some extra money to agree to this.

Jon Heyman says the deal is done.

Jon Heyman says the deal is done.
But only acuna and only max. Whatever… not my money and probably realistically what Max is worth with his 4+ era. So this should solidify Mauricio as the LF’er of the future… Mets should call him up ASAP. Lindor is locked into short or 2nd for the foreseeable future… tbh Acuna will need to be a rockstar to move him off short.

The intriguing question is what happens to McNeil and Baty? If Mauricio takes over left field then can either of them play right field? I don’t feel like McNeil has enough pop for a right fielder or third base, but Baty is not the answer at third. Can he play right?

My prediction… I would be surprised to see McNeil finish his current 4 year deal out as a Met. And that’s not a bad thing if it means the Mets upgraded.

The pitching depth for the org is now even more of a dumpster fire than before. They need arms but I don’t think they are going to be able get any near major league arms for anyone left on the roster save Verlander… but trading Verlander would be a step back for the pitching with maybe a step forward in two years?

Interesting times. I wish I could say I never imagined the Mets selling off but I thought it was a pretty distinct possibility going into the season. If they are going this route they should see what they can get for Alonso.

But only acuna and only max. Whatever… not my money and probably realistically what Max is worth with his 4+ era. So this should solidify Mauricio as the LF’er of the future… Mets should call him up ASAP. Lindor is locked into short or 2nd for the foreseeable future… tbh Acuna will need to be a rockstar to move him off short.

The intriguing question is what happens to McNeil and Baty? If Mauricio takes over left field then can either of them play right field? I don’t feel like McNeil has enough pop for a right fielder or third base, but Baty is not the answer at third. Can he play right?

My prediction… I would be surprised to see McNeil finish his current 4 year deal out as a Met. And that’s not a bad thing if it means the Mets upgraded.

The pitching depth for the org is now even more of a dumpster fire than before. They need arms but I don’t think they are going to be able get any near major league arms for anyone left on the roster save Verlander… but trading Verlander would be a step back for the pitching with maybe a step forward in two years?

Interesting times. I wish I could say I never imagined the Mets selling off but I thought it was a pretty distinct possibility going into the season. If they are going this route they should see what they can get for Alonso.
Yes, looks like the Texas beat writer was wrong about 3 prospects. The deal is still contingent on Max passing his physical. He has had some physical issues. There could be problems there. And I believe MLB has to approve any deal that includes over $2 million in cash. This might be the most cash ever included in a deal. I could see MLB vetoing it,

Max accepted his option for next year so the Rangers got their way (and I bet Max got some extra money too).

I see McNeil as the Met 2B for a few more years. He is a lifetime .298 hitter and just led the league in hitting last season. Hitting .255 this year but everyone is struggling and I think he will be fine with a better lineup, a better atmosphere and a better hitting coach.

Expecting Pham and/or Canha will be next. Probably Pham. Trading an OF opens a spot for Mauricio to show what he can do at LF the rest of the season. If they trade them both, maybe McNeil goes to RF full time and Guillorme takes over at 2B.

Hate seeing Vientos at 3B. His error to start the game opened the gates to a 4 run inning. He is not a MLB 3B. You just can’t play him there. I understand the Nats had a lefty starting and Buck wanted Vientos in the lineup but he could have played Mark at DH. Alonso could have started at 1B. Canha could have started at RF and he could have started Mendick at 3B and McNeil at 2B. Or switch Mendick and McNeil. Anything but starting Vientos at 3B.

Guessing Peterson will take over for Scherzer. If they trade Verlander, they probably need to get a starting pitcher in the deal to replace him. There are slim pickings in the farm system.

Yes, looks like the Texas beat writer was wrong about 3 prospects. The deal is still contingent on Max passing his physical. He has had some physical issues. There could be problems there. And I believe MLB has to approve any deal that includes over $2 million in cash. This might be the most cash ever included in a deal. I could see MLB vetoing it,

Max accepted his option for next year so the Rangers got their way (and I bet Max got some extra money too).

I see McNeil as the Met 2B for a few more years. He is a lifetime .298 hitter and just led the league in hitting last season. Hitting .255 this year but everyone is struggling and I think he will be fine with a better lineup, a better atmosphere and a better hitting coach.

Expecting Pham and/or Canha will be next. Probably Pham. Trading an OF opens a spot for Mauricio to show what he can do at LF the rest of the season. If they trade them both, maybe McNeil goes to RF full time and Guillorme takes over at 2B.

Hate seeing Vientos at 3B. His error to start the game opened the gates to a 4 run inning. He is not a MLB 3B. You just can’t play him there. I understand the Nats had a lefty starting and Buck wanted Vientos in the lineup but he could have played Mark at DH. Alonso could have started at 1B. Canha could have started at RF and he could have started Mendick at 3B and McNeil at 2B. Or switch Mendick and McNeil. Anything but starting Vientos at 3B.

Guessing Peterson will take over for Scherzer. If they trade Verlander, they probably need to get a starting pitcher in the deal to replace him. There are slim pickings in the farm system.
Just reading that Acuna can also play center. Maybe he eventually moves Nimmo to a corner fielder position. If I remember correctly Marte is off the books after next year?

Vientos seems like a quad a player. Mets should get what they can for him.

Agree Pham and Canha are hopefully next to go. Will be fascinating to see what happens with Verlander.

I think Acuna is a great pickup in this deal. His position? Hitter. And base stealer. Two things the Mets need. Worry about where he'll play in the field when the time comes.

Just reading that Acuna can also play center. Maybe he eventually moves Nimmo to a corner fielder position. If I remember correctly Marte is off the books after next year?

Vientos seems like a quad a player. Mets should get what they can for him.

Agree Pham and Canha are hopefully next to go. Will be fascinating to see what happens with Verlander.
I haven’t read that L Acuna can play CF and I think I was the one speculating that CF is the position he will get moved to eventually. Nimmo can’t play CF forever and it should be less wear and tear on his body if he moves to LF.

I don’t know that L Acuna can play CF but he has 47 SBs this season so he can clearly run and I suspect he also has a great arm.

At this point, I am thinking the long term OF might be Nimmo in LF, L Acuna in CF and Mauricio in RF. Not sure any of them have ever played those positions but long term, that seems to be the best way to way these guys.

Alexander Ramirez is the only top OF prospect in the minors for the Mets and he is struggling this year at A+ but hopefully he joins the fun in a couple of years.

I haven’t read that L Acuna can play CF and I think I was the one speculating that CF is the position he will get moved to eventually. Nimmo can’t play CF forever and it should be less wear and tear on his body if he moves to LF.

I don’t know that L Acuna can play CF but he has 47 SBs this season so he can clearly run and I suspect he also has a great arm.

At this point, I am thinking the long term OF might be Nimmo in LF, L Acuna in CF and Mauricio in RF. Not sure any of them have ever played those positions but long term, that seems to be the best way to way these guys.

Alexander Ramirez is the only top OF prospect in the minors for the Mets and he is struggling this year at A+ but hopefully he joins the fun in a couple of years.
Acuna has played 200 games at SS, 82 at 2B and 4 in CF

Scratched? He pitched well into the sixth inning. Was taken out after he tired a bit and had pitched 03 pitches. I don’t think there was anything trade related about it.

That said, the Mets fans gave Justin a standing ovation as he walked off the field. They know it might be the last time he wears a Met uniform and they wanted to send him off the right way in case this is goodbye.

No question Mets fans are the best fans in MLB. As always. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom