2023 NY Mets thread | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Scratched? He pitched well into the sixth inning. Was taken out after he tired a bit and had pitched 03 pitches. I don’t think there was anything trade related about it.

That said, the Mets fans gave Justin a standing ovation as he walked off the field. They know it might be the last time he wears a Met uniform and they wanted to send him off the right way in case this is goodbye.

No question Mets fans are the best fans in MLB. As always. ;)
I didn't even pay attention that he pitched today when I posted that tweet. Been watching the Braves game. Sorry about that.

I didn't even pay attention that he pitched today when I posted that tweet. Been watching the Braves game. Sorry about that.
No problem. There are a lot of people posting bogus info. Hard to tell what is real. Twitter is not well policed.

I haven’t read that L Acuna can play CF and I think I was the one speculating that CF is the position he will get moved to eventually. Nimmo can’t play CF forever and it should be less wear and tear on his body if he moves to LF.

I don’t know that L Acuna can play CF but he has 47 SBs this season so he can clearly run and I suspect he also has a great arm.

At this point, I am thinking the long term OF might be Nimmo in LF, L Acuna in CF and Mauricio in RF. Not sure any of them have ever played those positions but long term, that seems to be the best way to way these guys.

Alexander Ramirez is the only top OF prospect in the minors for the Mets and he is struggling this year at A+ but hopefully he joins the fun in a couple of years.

I just hope we haven't traded for Tommie Aaron while the Braves have Hank.

You mean we got an actual pitcher instead of getting rid of one?

Luisangel Acuña could turn out to be another Ozzie Albies? I thought he was Ronald's brother.

Last edited:
With all the teams that are looking for outfielders right now, this doesn’t seem like a great return. Pretty sure the industry experts will pan this trade, as I believe they have panned every trade Eppler has attempted during his troubled time as the Met GM.

That said Pham has more value. He is playing better and making considerably less money. I would hope if they trade him, they will get more. Also hoping they do not trade him. There really isn’t much left on the team in the way of outfielders. Hopefully Marte will be able to play soon and not have any additional problems that prevent him from playing.

The logical guy to replace Mark on the roster is Ronny Mauricio. Hoping they call him up and give him the LF job the rest of the year.

Let‘s see what the kid has.

MLB ranks the player the Mets got from the Brewers as Milwaukee's #30 prospect. Looks to me like a mid-relief arm. From the scouting report:

"Throwing from a high arm slot, Jarvis has picked up a little velocity in the spring and sits around 93-95 mph with his four-seamer, but what makes the pitch play up is its invisiball nature with incredible ride up in the zone. (It’s worth noting that the Southern League’s pre-tacked ball could be affecting Jarvis’ heater traits.) He’s added a low-80s splitter in the last two years that fades nicely, giving him a south option off the northern fastball. His low-80s slider flashes above-average with good vertical and horizontal break, while a mid-70s, looping curveball offers another offspeed look.

Listed at 6-foot-2, 183 pounds, Jarvis needs to work the edges of the zone, because if his command falters, hitters have a history of punishing him when he catches too much of the plate. (His 19 homers allowed were tied for most in the Midwest League in 2022.) There’s a deep enough arsenal and starter-quality control to feature in the back end of a Major League rotation, if he can hold these pitch characteristics with a more standard ball at the higher levels."

Hey, it was Mark Canha. What did you expect? Lots of Mark Canhas out there during free agency.

MLB ranks the player the Mets got from the Brewers as Milwaukee's #30 prospect. Looks to me like a mid-relief arm. From the scouting report:

"Throwing from a high arm slot, Jarvis has picked up a little velocity in the spring and sits around 93-95 mph with his four-seamer, but what makes the pitch play up is its invisiball nature with incredible ride up in the zone. (It’s worth noting that the Southern League’s pre-tacked ball could be affecting Jarvis’ heater traits.) He’s added a low-80s splitter in the last two years that fades nicely, giving him a south option off the northern fastball. His low-80s slider flashes above-average with good vertical and horizontal break, while a mid-70s, looping curveball offers another offspeed look.

Listed at 6-foot-2, 183 pounds, Jarvis needs to work the edges of the zone, because if his command falters, hitters have a history of punishing him when he catches too much of the plate. (His 19 homers allowed were tied for most in the Midwest League in 2022.) There’s a deep enough arsenal and starter-quality control to feature in the back end of a Major League rotation, if he can hold these pitch characteristics with a more standard ball at the higher levels."

Hey, it was Mark Canha. What did you expect? Lots of Mark Canhas out there during free agency.
I expected a player in the top 20 or so range for a given team. Eppler also paid Canha’s salary for this season. He is not good at negotiating.

That said, Jarvis apparently has a lot of ride on his fastball and his splitter has real potential. And he was doing relatively well at AA, so he might only be a year or so away.

Sorry to See Mark go. That guy was a professional. Liked how he went about his business. Hope he gets a chance to play in the playoffs for the Brewers.

I expected a player in the top 20 or so range for a given team. Eppler also paid Canha’s salary for this season. He is not good at negotiating.

That said, Jarvis apparently has a lot of ride on his fastball and his splitter has real potential. And he was doing relatively well at AA, so he might only be a year or so away.

Sorry to See Mark go. That guy was a professional. Liked how he went about his business. Hope he gets a chance to play in the playoffs for the Brewers.
they paid the part over the league minumum. and they dont have to pay the 2 million buy out or the 11.5 million option on him. so in reality they paid 3.5 to not pay 5.5 as they probably wanted him off the books anyway.

My hopes for today...

Hope Verlander is not traded. He is still a top notch starting pitcher and I think there is reason to think he will remain so next season. If he is traded, it becomes hard to imagine this team winning 90 games next year. Heck, it becomes hard to imagine them having a winning record.

Plus, there is no really promising young starting pitcher in AAA ready to take Justin's spot in the rotation. Now if the trade includes a top notch pitch prospect at the AAA level that could move into the rotation (and more)...maybe.

I am okay with Pham being traded. He is a free agent, his value is at a high point, and they can probably get something decent for him. Please don't get another catcher or shortstop.

It also, coupled with the Canha trade, opens room for Maurcio to be called up and given a try out in LF. I can guarantee Mets fans would be okay if all this happened.

If Pham is also traded and Mauricio is not called up, Mets fans are going to be mad.

Hoping Raley is not traded. Good lefty RP do not grow on trees. We are going to need a couple for next year. Don't trade him just because you can get the 20th best prospect from some other team. We need him. Hold on to him.

I think the Mets should call up Josh Walker, the most promising lefty RP in Syracuse, up and give him a trial for the rest of the season. He has failed badly in MLB but he has really good stuff and if he is ever going to get it going at the MLB level, now is the time for that to happen. Let's see what the kid has.

Fine with trading Narvaez. Nido is raking in AAA and ready to go back to the show. If we can get something serviceable for him, lets do it.

Only the Mets and Eppler would throw away a season and NOT call up their top prospect left

So who the hell is gonna pitch? And we just added more outfielders instead of giving Mauricio a shot? Eppler hire Isiah as a consultant?
Cohen has thrown in the towel on this season. He must feel pretty confident he can sign some top tier starting pitchers in the off season. I hope he’s right.

Cohen has thrown in the towel on this season. He must feel pretty confident he can sign some top tier starting pitchers in the off season. I hope he’s right.

Sure hope so. Along with maybe a few options that aren't at the end of their careers.

Verlander to Houston for two minor league players.

Mets Trade Justin Verlander To Astros
Mets got the Astros #1 and #4 prospects. Both outfielders.

Drew Gilbert is rated as the Astros best prospect. Their #1 pick from 2022.

Ryan Clifford is rated as their 4th best prospect. Hejust turned 20 and has flown up their prospect list this season. Some are suggesting he might be their best prospect.

Both lefthanded hitters.

Gilbert is at AA and Clifford is at A+.

Gilbert is probably 2 years away and Clifford 3 years away.

Gilbert was rated the 76th best prospect by MLB com at mid season this year.

I would expect Clifford to break into top 100 lists by the end of this season.

Guessing the Mets farm system is suddenly around 5th in MLB. Last I checked, they were in the 15-20 range.

With Ramirez a fringe top 100 prospect, Mauricio playing LF now and a couple other promising young international players at low A levels, the outfield is suddenly well stocked with players for the Mets.

Losing Verlander leaves a huge gap in the rotation. The Mets are going to lose a lot of the remaining games this season and it looks to me as though they decided to try and finish in the bottom 6 so they do not get the 10 slot drop penalty for the Cohen tax for next year. There is a lottery now and nothing is guaranteed but their chances to avoid that penalty just got a lot worse.

No idea how much money the Mets are including in this deal. It would be good if the Astros at least agree to pay half of what Justin is owed.

Bottom line, it is hard to see the Mets making the playoffs next year. No way it happens this season.

I thought the need for starting pitching (and relief pitching) was our biggest need and we got nothing in that area for Scherzer and Verlander. Hope this all works out. At least it appears there are some quality young players heading to the farm system.

Ryan Clifford is rated as their 4th best prospect. Hejust turned 20 and has flown up their prospect list this season. Some are suggesting he might be their best prospect.

Both lefthanded hitters.

Guessing the Mets farm system is suddenly around 5th in MLB. Last I checked, they were in the 15-20 range.

With Ramirez a fringe top 100 prospect, Mauricio playing LF now and a couple other promising young international players at low A levels, the outfield is suddenly well stocked with players for the Mets.

Losing Verlander leaves a huge gap in the rotation. The Mets are going to lose a lot of the remaining games this season and it looks to me as though they decided to try and finish in the bottom 6 so they do not get the 10 slot drop penalty for the Cohen tax for next year. There is a lottery now and nothing is guaranteed but their chances to avoid that penalty just got a lot worse.

No idea how much money the Mets are including in this deal. It would be good if the Astros at least agree to pay half of what Justin is owed.

Bottom line, it is hard to see the Mets making the playoffs next year. No way it happens this season.

I thought the need for starting pitching (and relief pitching) was our biggest need and we got nothing in that area for Scherzer and Verlander. Hope this all works out. At least it appears there are some quality young players heading to the farm system.

Gilbert was playing AA ball then sent back down to A+ fwiw but is only 22 to your point being a couple years away.. maybe even 3 yrs himself.

Gilbert was playing AA ball then sent back down to A+ fwiw but is only 22 to your point being a couple years away.. maybe even 3 yrs himself.
According to this site, he started the season in A+, tore it up and was promoted to AA on 5/6. He has been at AA since then and played in the Futures Game a month or so ago.

According to this site, he started the season in A+, tore it up and was promoted to AA on 5/6. He has been at AA since then and played in the Futures Game a month or so ago.

Ah ok.. makes way more sense. The year over year reference stats site had it out of order looking like he went to AA then back down.

Both lefthanded hitters.

I thought we needed pitchers?

10-50 here we come! We haven't finished last since 2003.

I thought we needed pitchers?

10-50 here we come! We haven't finished last since 2003.

Sucks looking across the league and seeing Wheeler, Bassitt, Holderman and Walker doing their thing on the mound.

Of course then you've got Thor and Matz struggling and Stroman fading so it's never a sure thing. Not to mention Jake out for a long time.

Still - a lot of pitchers...

Sucks looking across the league and seeing Wheeler, Bassitt, Holderman and Walker doing their thing on the mound.

Of course then you've got Thor and Matz struggling and Stroman fading so it's never a sure thing. Not to mention Jake out for a long time.

Still - a lot of pitchers...
Yup.

Walker just won his 12th game. Most in MLB. The Phils are 16-6 in the games he has started.

Bassitt is 10-6.

Sigh.

Yup.

Walker just won his 12th game. Most in MLB. The Phils are 16-6 in the games he has started.

Bassitt is 10-6.

Sigh.

Bass, Walker and Holderman are the most infuriating. None breaking the bank... and of course the ridiculous trade for Vogelbach for a very strong middle innings reliever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom