2023 NY Mets thread | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Bass, Walker and Holderman are the most infuriating. None breaking the bank... and of course the ridiculous trade for Vogelbach for a very strong middle innings reliever.
Hopefully David Stearns will be taking control of the team the day after the World Series champ is crowned.

That is the dream.

My dream anyway...

Last edited:
Hopefully David Stearns will be taking control of the team the day after the World Series champ is crowned.

That is the dream.

My dream anyway...

I'd take Mike Elias if they could get him from Baltimore.

According to Max, Mets punting on 2024 also. I guess this means no Ohtani which was always a remote possibility. I guess I’ll save myself $100 on mlb ticket next year.

(Pay article) Max Scherzer details talks with Mets brass: Team taking step back to build for 2025-26
I feel like Ohtani was always a pipe dream no matter how good the Mets look going into 2024. The odds of him leaving the west coast are slim. Next year probably won’t be great but they’ll sell again at the deadline and have possibly the best farm system in baseball. Cohen’s blueprint will probably be to spend a ton in the off-season after 2024 on big time names and if all is going well in 2025, get rid of a bunch of the prospects for major talent at the deadline to make a serious World Series run.

According to Max, Mets punting on 2024 also. I guess this means no Ohtani which was always a remote possibility. I guess I’ll save myself $100 on mlb ticket next year.

(Pay article) Max Scherzer details talks with Mets brass: Team taking step back to build for 2025-26
Don’t think Ohtani would have happened even if the Mets didn’t go in tank mode. They spent too much on the 2 HOF pitchers.

The guy I am hoping the Mets go all in for is Yoshinobu Yamamoto. He is going to turn 25 shortly. Major superstar in Japanese baseball. Might be better than Senga.

He is young enough to fit into the rebuild mode and I think would be a great fit.

2025 Projected Overview

Rotation
Senga
Hamel
Vasil
Tidwell
Ziegler

Bullpen
Hartwig
Smith
Walker

Position Players
C Alvarez
C Parada

1B Alonso
2B Acuna
SS Lindor
3B Baty
INF Vargas

LF Nimmo
CF Gilbert
RF Mauricio
OF Clifford
OF Ramirez

DH Vientos

There will probably be a couple of veteran starters and a veteran reliiever or two added but this is what we are looking at as the backbone of the franchise. I expect the average age of the team to drop dramatically. As well as the total payroll.

Don’t think Ohtani would have happened even if the Mets didn’t go in tank mode. They spent too much on the 2 HOF pitchers.

The guy I am hoping the Mets go all in for is Yoshinobu Yamamoto. He is going to turn 25 shortly. Major superstar in Japanese baseball. Might be better than Senga.

He is young enough to fit into the rebuild mode and I think would be a great fit.

2025 Projected Overview

Rotation
Senga
Hamel
Vasil
Tidwell
Ziegler

Bullpen
Hartwig
Smith
Walker

Position Players
C Alvarez
C Parada

1B Alonso
2B Acuna
SS Lindor
3B Baty
INF Vargas

LF Nimmo
CF Gilbert
RF Mauricio
OF Clifford
OF Ramirez

DH Vientos

There will probably be a couple of veteran starters and a veteran reliiever or two added but this is what we are looking at as the backbone of the franchise. I expect the average age of the team to drop dramatically. As well as the total payroll.
I predict Alonso won’t be here. I think he walks after next season or is traded this offseason for some pitching.

2025 Projected Overview

Rotation
Senga
Hamel
Vasil
Tidwell
Ziegler

Bullpen
Hartwig
Smith
Walker

Position Players
C Alvarez
C Parada

1B Alonso
2B Acuna
SS Lindor
3B Baty
INF Vargas

LF Nimmo
CF Gilbert
RF Mauricio
OF Clifford
OF Ramirez

DH Vientos

Question I have is would Pete or Lindor (or others) push to be traded( or not resigned in Petes case) having to wait out another year of contending?

I predict Alonso won’t be here. I think he walks after next season or is traded this offseason for some pitching.
You could be right. I think it comes down to how money hungry he is.

If he wants to make the most money possible, wherever it may take him, he goes elsewhere.

If he really likes playing in New York and is willing to give the Mets a small discount, he probably ends up playing his whole career here.

I hope a deal can be worked out.. I like to see the home grown stars stay with the team they came up with their entire career.

You could be right. I think it comes down to how money hungry he is.

If he wants to make the most money possible, wherever it may take him, he goes elsewhere.

If he really likes playing in New York and is willing to give the Mets a small discount, he probably ends up playing his whole career here.

I hope a deal can be worked out.. I like to see the home grown stars stay with the team they came up with their entire career.
It's interesting that you think Pete would need to take a discount to stay w/ the Mets and the richest owner in baseball. Are you thinking that the Mets don't value him as highly as other teams and won't offer him as much or they can't afford to pay him what his market value is? I think if he wants the Mets and the Mets want him he will be a Met regardless of what he is asking. BUT if he has another season like the current one I don't know if he's going to make the truly monster contracts being handed out.

The Mets traded Dominic Leone for noted frontiersman Jeremiah Johnson.

Johnson was actually considered the 18th best prospect for the Angels, which is a pretty impressive return for a guy the Mets picked up off the waivers. Has a lot of power and speed but strikes out a lot and lacks discipline. Eppler drafted him and apparently remains high on him.

They also paid the Dodgers cash for two relief pitchers who both might end up on the 25 man roster. Names are Phil Bickford and Adam Kolarek.

The guy they got for Pham, Jeremy Rodriguez (another SS, what a shock), was the top international respect signed by Arizona. Super young (17 years old). Skinny. But he has a high ceiling.

It will be interesting to see how all this influx of young talent affects the ratings for the Mets farm system.

The Mets traded Dominic Leone for noted frontiersman Jeremiah Johnson.

Johnson was actually considered the 18th best prospect for the Angels, which is a pretty impressive return for a guy the Mets picked up off the waivers. Has a lot of power and speed but strikes out a lot and lacks discipline. Eppler drafted him and apparently remains high on him.

They also paid the Dodgers cash for two relief pitchers who both might end up on the 25 man roster. Names are Phil Bickford and Adam Kolarek.

The guy they got for Pham, Jeremy Rodriguez (another SS, what a shock), was the top international respect signed by Arizona. Super young (17 years old). Skinny. But he has a high ceiling.

It will be interesting to see how all this influx of young talent affects the ratings for the Mets farm system.

Well following Binghamton and Syracuse will be much more interesting again

I see Stewart and Ortega will be starting in the OF tonight. Assume that means Mauricio was not called up and probably won’t be until September at the earliest. Unfortunate.

No offense to Stewart but he wasn’t even a good AAA player. No idea why he is on the team, other than Eppler traded two OFs and Marte is unable to play too often.

Ortega was picked up by Syracuse not long ago and he has been doing a decent job for them playing CF. He has some speed and power and has played in MLB for a number of years.

I would rather see Ronny.

I see Stewart and Ortega will be starting in the OF tonight. Assume that means Mauricio was not called up and probably won’t be until September at the earliest. Unfortunate.

No offense to Stewart but he wasn’t even a good AAA player. No idea why he is on the team, other than Eppler traded two OFs and Marte is unable to play too often.

Ortega was picked up by Syracuse not long ago and he has been doing a decent job for them playing CF. He has some speed and power and has played in MLB for a number of years.

I would rather see Ronny.

At this point I just don't understand the Ronny strategy. What do they have to lose by promoting him? Is there some service time manipulation going on? Is he worth doing that?

At this point I just don't understand the Ronny strategy. What do they have to lose by promoting him? Is there some service time manipulation going on? Is he worth doing that?
He is starting at LF again tonight. I think he got moved to the outfield about a month ago. Maybe a little less than that. Anyway, my guess is that management wants him to be comfortable playing defense in the outfield before they call him up.

Still want to see him. The Mets need to throw the fans a bone to keep them engaged and interested in the team. Bringing Ronny up and playing him in LF every day would be a good way to do that.

Maybe a good compromise is to play him in Syracuse in the OF until September, then call him up and make him a starter. Really don‘t want to see Ortega and Stewart out there striking out and hitting .200 the rest of the season.

I feel like Ohtani was always a pipe dream no matter how good the Mets look going into 2024. The odds of him leaving the west coast are slim. Next year probably won’t be great but they’ll sell again at the deadline and have possibly the best farm system in baseball. Cohen’s blueprint will probably be to spend a ton in the off-season after 2024 on big time names and if all is going well in 2025, get rid of a bunch of the prospects for major talent at the deadline to make a serious World Series run.
No doubt they've built great depth in the farm system. We know that the Mets can use that depth to build a young core and/or to trade for veteran pieces.

I'm not convinced, though, that Cohen will have the discipline to carry out the more long-term strategy you've laid out. Don't see it in his DNA. Which means that Eppler might not be long for his current job.

No doubt they've built great depth in the farm system. We know that the Mets can use that depth to build a young core and/or to trade for veteran pieces.

I'm not convinced, though, that Cohen will have the discipline to carry out the more long-term strategy you've laid out. Don't see it in his DNA. Which means that Eppler might not be long for his current job.

I don't think trades built great depth in the farm system. It gets you a handful of other possibilities. Real depth comes from the draft and player development. Didn't the Mets have a draft a year or two ago in which they had 9 of the top 100 picks? That's depth. You've got to exceed the percent ages about how many will make it.

Meanwhile Pham and Leone got us two more middle infielders. Apparently Eppler wants a whole team of them. It's ridiculous. Where are the young arms?

Mets goona Mets. The first run the Mets ever gave up was on a balk.

"Umpires should bear in mind that the purpose of the balk rule is to prevent the pitcher from deliberately deceiving the base runner."

At the very least, shouldn't a balk be more than a 'flinch'?

And, if baserunner can deceive a pitcher, shouldn't a pitcher be able to deceive a baserunner?

Last edited:
Mets goona Mets. The first run the Mets ever gave up was on a balk.

"Umpires should bear in mind that the purpose of the balk rule is to prevent the pitcher from deliberately deceiving the base runner."

At the very least, shouldn't a balk be more than a 'flinch'?

And, if baserunner can deceive a pitchers, shouldn't a pitcher be able to deceive a baserunner?
Let’s keep in mind for the balk to have lost the game it required Mets pitching to give up a 6-4 lead entering the 10th and loading the bases.

Let’s keep in mind for the balk to have lost the game it required Mets pitching to give up a 6-4 lead entering the 10th and loading the bases.
Get used to it. One closer has an ACL tear and the other is in Miami.

I wonder if the balk happens if the didnt have the new elec pitch caller and the step off rules.

Pete is the new click-bate now that Scherzer and Verlander are gone:

The New York Mets have lost some key pieces over the past week and Pete Alonso could be next.

Shutout by the Royals. Oof. Possibly swept tomorrow. After all these trades, the Mets might be the worst team in baseball the rest of this season. Just dreadful.

Shutout by the Royals. Oof. Possibly swept tomorrow. After all these trades, the Mets might be the worst team in baseball the rest of this season. Just dreadful.

Like a bunch of dead fish today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom