2023 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Preseason Camp Thread

Is it weird to think the running game might be improved this year? LQA seems like a bit more versatile than Tucker, but perhaps we see fresher legs come in at times? It felt like last year Tucker was out there too much despite being less than 100% and it definitely impacted his running.

Is it weird to think the running game might be improved this year? LQA seems like a bit more versatile than Tucker, but perhaps we see fresher legs come in at times? It felt like last year Tucker was out there too much despite being less than 100% and it definitely impacted his running.
Not weird at all. Tucker was injured most of last year. Made no sense that Allen didnt get more run.

Not weird at all. Tucker was injured most of last year. Made no sense that Allen didnt get more run.
Seems like DB has always only played limited players at rb. Not sure why not more of a rotation

Seems like DB has always only played limited players at rb. Not sure why not more of a rotation
Always except the first 5 years when he mostly evenly split carries between 2-3 backs every year

2016 Strickland/Fredricks
2017 Strickland/Neal
2018 Strickland/Neal/Howard
2019 Neal/Howard/Adams
2020 Started the season splitting Jordan and Tucker till Jordan got hurt

he has pretty much said a starter subs himself out when a series starts. As the pace has slowed and the play count has gone down the number of snaps for RBs has gone down I suspect.

That's not true. With the exception of Tucker's 3 years, we have always had RB by committee under Dino.

Last year, it felt like we forced carries to Tucker even after he got injured. Like the coaches had a deal with him that he would get 95% of the carries no matter what.

That's not true. With the exception of Tucker's 3 years, we have always had RB by committee under Dino.
There were others that got carriers but one always seemed to get a majority of the carriers.

24th? Maybe I'm biased, but I don't really think the ACC has 23 better players than this guy
Until we win more regularly, we will never get the preseason hype of some of these other teams. We're getting more than in previous years, so we're making the climb. But, I think we are in for a really special year with plenty of post-season accolades.

Always except the first 5 years when he mostly evenly split carries between 2-3 backs every year

2016 Strickland/Fredricks
2017 Strickland/Neal
2018 Strickland/Neal/Howard
2019 Neal/Howard/Adams
2020 Started the season splitting Jordan and Tucker till Jordan got hurt
Definitely not Fredricks in year 1. He only got in during garbage time and transferred out after 2016 to UMass. In Dino’s offense, backs call out some signals about the D's formation. It's an important role to recognize what the D is showing and I heard Fredricks had difficulty picking it up. I looked it up, Strick had 162 carries, Neal had 68 and Fredricks only 28.

Last edited:
Definitely not Fredricks in year 1. He only got in during garbage time and transferred out after 2016 to UMass. In Dino’s offense, backs call out some signals about the D's formation. It's an important role to recognize what the D is showing and I heard Fredricks had difficulty picking it up.
Your right, Fredricks and Neal combined for 500 yards while Strick nabbed 560

There were others that got carriers but one always seemed to get a majority of the carriers.
For the most part it was distributed widely.

2016: Strickland - 162, Dungey -125 (9 games), Neal - 68. Neal was a true freshman. Fredericks got a few but was in Dino's dog house.

2017: Dungey - 143 (again 9 games), Strickland - 128, Neal - 92. Nobody else with significant numbers

2018: Dungey -184, Neal - 155, Strickland - 121, Howard - 68

2019: Neal - 170, Devito - 112 (not sure what that was about), Adams - 87, Howard - 76

In 2020 we had the covid opt outs and with Jordan getting hurt Tucker took over.

If you take out the QB carries there was always a number 1 guy but carries were distributed amongst 2 or 3. We didn't just ride one guy until Tucker. In 2016 there weren't many options with Neal being a true freshman and Fredericks having trouble learning the responsibilities of the offense, but Neal got more the second half of the year and we saw how even it was between those guys the next two seasons.

Last edited:
I know last week we saw More kick inside to RG and Wholabaugh take over at RT, now it looks like Petry is playing out at RT with the first line. Hopefully everyone is healthy and we're just cross training at this point. If we're down Bleich and Wholabaugh this early in the year we may be in trouble.

Until we win more regularly, we will never get the preseason hype of some of these other teams. We're getting more than in previous years, so we're making the climb. But, I think we are in for a really special year with plenty of post-season accolades.
Translation: these accolades are worthless, because the people voting on them don't do any homework. Lazy confirmation bias slop.

I know last week we saw More kick inside to RG and Wholabaugh take over at RT, now it looks like Petry is playing out at RT with the first line. Hopefully everyone is healthy and we're just cross training at this point. If we're down Bleich and Wholabaugh this early in the year we may be in trouble.
Why would you think we are down Bleich and Wohlabaugh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom