2023 Schedule Guesses | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Schedule Guesses

Shout out to DMV an AD both were spot on with the schedule info.

Only thing undetermined is where the away UNC game will be played as its listed as TBD. Seems like someplace in Maryland, interested to see how this flushes out.

A couple of quick general thoughts on the schedule itself.

Obviously SU needs to get out to a 3-0 start. Vermont, Albany and Holy Cross are all games SU should win but the first two will be no pushovers to say the least. Vermont game itself will be very interesting as SU will likely have a major issue at the X going against Vermonts AA FOGO. Defense will need to be ready to go from the start. Albany lost almost no one off of last years team but did finish 5-10 (and beat us in one of the worst games I have ever watched) so hard to know what to expect there. They do lose their goalie and appears several players who had the ability to comeback for their COVID year decided to leave. Don't look like a great team on paper but will need to see what their roster looks like before I can comment further. Holy Cross is well Holy Cross, they should be better then last years team but clearly that's a game that should be over by the end of the 1st quarter. Interesting note that Albany on Fri and Holy Cross that Sunday is the first time I can recall SU playing two games on the same weekend. Desko was never a fan and is probably shaking his head somewhere.

The 4 game stretch after that is brutal, Maryland, UNC, Duke and Hop, although 3 of the 4 are at home. Need to be 2-2 out of that stretch. Obviously Maryland is a less then stellar matchup but hopefully we can at least keep it close. Feels like we matchup well with UNC and have always played Duke well. Hop is a bit of a mystery, they should be very solid defensively but offensively they're clearly a work in progress.

Hofstra, Bonnies and Hobart next three. Again needs to be three wins. Only real concern here is probably Hobart and if they couldn't get it done last year its hard to see them doing it this year barring SU having major issues at the X and on defense (with injuries again).

The last 5 games are clearly the gauntlet and will define the season. ND, Princeton, UNC, UVA and Duke. I've given up trying to even be competitive with ND so I won't even comment on that matchup. Overall need to get at least 2 wins out of those 5 games. Ending with UVA and Duke is less then optimal but it is what it is. Good news is we only see ND and UVA once and Princeton late in the year I think gives us a better shot then an early matchup.

Overall a pretty tough schedule that won't really miss Army or Cornell if I am being honest. I like the balance and the fact that there are more "less stressful" type games. Would have liked to have had St. Bonnie or someone else real late to break up the gauntlet but overall this feels like a really good schedule and much more balanced then last years or the last few under Desko. SU should always try and play 15 regular season games.

Good catch regarding the Friday/Sunday turnaround. I think Gait liked to do this with the Women's team so no real surprise he's trying to bring it over to the men's side. Hopkins did this last year and their fans got pretty upset with the results. I would think both games Syracuse should be pretty heavily favored, but I thought that against the Danes last year as well. At least both games are home.

Looks like the early Duke game will be happening at the Dome and not San Diego or another distant locale. Gives the Orange nine of their first 11 games at home, which is pretty favorable. Syracuse gets a lot of grief for not having enough road games, but I think as the calendar inches up closer and closer to January, it's hard to argue with playing games in the Dome. Having the last four games of the season on the road, against some tough competition is not ideal. Will have to make the most of the early home games.

Love that there will be 15 games, the more Orange lacrosse, the better. Makes for a pretty packed calendar but with the early start time (again no issue with weather, see Dome), everything is pretty spaced out for the most part. Only one other game besides the Holy Cross game on short rest, against Hofstra following Hopkins.

Stunned that Cornell is off the schedule. Some of my best memories are Cuse Cornell games (and 1996 ncaa) in Ithaca. I have been behind pretty much all of Gary’s moves to this point but this one stings. Glad we still play Hop and Bart.

Stunned that Cornell is off the schedule. Some of my best memories are Cuse Cornell games (and 1996 ncaa) in Ithaca. I have been behind pretty much all of Gary’s moves to this point but this one stings. Glad we still play Hop and Bart.
This late 90s fan is glad to see Princeton back on the schedule. Those games were always a highlight.

Agree with others that it is sad not to have Army and Cornell on the schedule. I am sure they will be back in the future. Both of these programs have always brought their best game when playing Syracuse. I will never forget the cold wet night in Ithaca when my favorite SU team lost their undefeated season to the Big Red in 2000.

He's always had it out for 'Cuse. Not saying he doesn't have a point, but he does actively root against the Orange.
I was actually going to say this post is a sign of progress for them! Managed to avoid openly trashing the team in this one. Maybe they are maturing over there at the one and only college crosse.

I think it's good for this team to play most of the early games home being they have so many young kids. They have to adjust to the level of comp and playing at the highest level of college lacrosse. The first 3 games are perfect for them to get adjusted then play ACC teams at home were they are comfortable. Gait set this schedule up to help these kids so they can keep getting better as the season goes. Tough final stretch but the team should be peaking by then playing there best lacrosse. If they win the games there supposed to then come that final stretch they need to at least split those games. They do that then they should make the tournament and it's a great season. These young kids won't be freshman anymore come that final stretch. I remember Andy Shay saying that after Yale beat St Joes in the tournament. Someone asked him how did he trust so many freshman to step up and he said there no longer freshman now they have a lot of games under there belts. Those freshman played great for Yale so no reason SU's ridiculously talented freshman can't be extremely productive come the final stretch and hopefully tournament. This team is gonna be the comeback team of the year.

There's a post on our board today with a list of teams we're supposed to be playing, roughly in the order we're playing them. It has not been posted to the official site yet. Dates are from others' official releases.

2/11 Michigan, Harvard, 2/25 Ohio State (FL), 3/11 Towson, Richmond, Hopkins, and MD then the ACC gauntlet with Duke x2, NDx2, UNC & 4/22 SU and (prob. 4/29) Lafayette.

I would anticipate that the first Duke and ND games will be roughly when the first SU and UNC games were scheduled last year.

Last edited:
0C18EB0B-3B43-4DE4-A04A-0F4A912A3736.jpeg

Plus the annual spring monster jam visit that pushes lacrosse out for a week.

Hopkins schedule out. Another tough round of games. Playing UNC the Tuesday after a Saturday matchup against Georgetown seems rough. Also play UVA on a Tuesday following a Saturday matchup against St Joe's, and play SU on short-ish rest the following Saturday. Delaware, Navy, Utah, Loyola and Jacksonville round out the schedule, plus Big Ten games. Credit to Milliman for scheduling good teams, but seems like this could end badly as the Jay's haven't' sniffed the Tournament the last few years.

Hopkins schedule out. Another tough round of games. Playing UNC the Tuesday after a Saturday matchup against Georgetown seems rough. Also play UVA on a Tuesday following a Saturday matchup against St Joe's, and play SU on short-ish rest the following Saturday. Delaware, Navy, Utah, Loyola and Jacksonville round out the schedule, plus Big Ten games. Credit to Milliman for scheduling good teams, but seems like this could end badly as the Jay's haven't' sniffed the Tournament the last few years.

Overall they should be better but this is a gross over-schedule. They are no built to go through this type of gauntlet nor do they have the offensive personnel to hold up to the grind and the injuries that they will endure. This is what UVA or Maryland should be playing not Hopkins. The Hop thread over at fanlax will be a must read again this spring.

Overall they should be better but this is a gross over-schedule. They are no built to go through this type of gauntlet nor do they have the offensive personnel to hold up to the grind and the injuries that they will endure. This is what UVA or Maryland should be playing not Hopkins. The Hop thread over at fanlax will be a must read again this spring.
The Hop success route would probably look somewhat similar to us back in 2017. Probably not going to put up a boatload of goals, but the D could potentially be good enough to limit good teams to low numbers. Unless their top freshman and the Melendez guy from Marquette all pan out to the fullest I can't see the O getting much better. Degnon is at attack now and he barely has double digit assists in his entire hopkins career. Incredible shooter but dont think he does enough in other areas to be given the keys to the O. Melendez is a sneaky very good portal grab, but can he come in and instantly replicate Desimone's impact?

Would certainly be pretty ticked off as a hopkins fan if I saw all of these potentially critical out of conference games coming after quick turnarounds.

good points but on the other hand, hopkins was 7-9 with a fairly similar schedule last year so if you assume any sort of improvement from them, then it's not unreasonable at all to turn that 7-9 into a 9-7, which, though unspectacular, gets them in the playoff discussion

It feels like the Pios could end this season with a losing record? Maybe I’m crazy but this scheduled seems tough for a team with a lot of question marks. Just doesn’t seem like Denver has adjusted to the shot clock era.

It feels like the Pios could end this season with a losing record? Maybe I’m crazy but this scheduled seems tough for a team with a lot of question marks. Just doesn’t seem like Denver has adjusted to the shot clock era.

losing record would be hard to do as they still have some cupcakes in there but i can't see it being much better than 7-6. maaaaaybe 8-5. they dropped jax and canisius and added merrimack from last season which probably makes it a little easier overall

I will predict 5-9 with 6-8 seeming somewhat likely, with Big Ten tmt games to be announced.
On a base level, they have 3 top 5 teams: UMd, UVa, and Georgetown which look like probable losses, and only Utah at Homewood looks like a probably win. Most of the other teams are on about the same level as Hopkins. So that gets you to 6-8.

Looking at the Big Ten games subjectively. Last season, Hopkins beat PSU twice in Homewood, and Michigan in Homewood. PSU was beset with injuries last season, and should be playing significantly better this coming season. Michigan might be playing better. In the end, Hopkins has both PSU and Michigan on the road, so it might be tough to repeat last season's Big Ten 2-3 record. If they are 1-4, they will probably go on the road for the first round of the Big Ten tournament.

I wonder if these concerts or the like is another reason why Lacrosse wants its own field.

I will predict 5-9 with 6-8 seeming somewhat likely, with Big Ten tmt games to be announced.
On a base level, they have 3 top 5 teams: UMd, UVa, and Georgetown which look like probable losses, and only Utah at Homewood looks like a probably win. Most of the other teams are on about the same level as Hopkins. So that gets you to 6-8.

Looking at the Big Ten games subjectively. Last season, Hopkins beat PSU twice in Homewood, and Michigan in Homewood. PSU was beset with injuries last season, and should be playing significantly better this coming season. Michigan might be playing better. In the end, Hopkins has both PSU and Michigan on the road, so it might be tough to repeat last season's Big Ten 2-3 record. If they are 1-4, they will probably go on the road for the first round of the Big Ten tournament.
Dang! Hopkins actually upped it to a 15 game regular season schedule.
So my prediction will be 6-9. Sort of splitting my previous two most likely results.

My only word of advice for the staff: Do NOT let Carter Rice match up against hop rookie Matt Collison. He will flatten any small but fast ssdm matchup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom