2023 Tewaaraton Watchlist Announced | Syracusefan.com

2023 Tewaaraton Watchlist Announced

Wish they would drop the charade and only include offensive players on these lists. Lotta big names. With eligibility up in the air on basically every candidate, this feels like as open a Tek race as we have ever seen. Handley Brandau or Shell probably most likely candidates

After last week's performance u have to add him. Was glad I was at the game and saw it live. Was just really amazing. Idk if he can repeat that at that level but he will have more big time performances. I said before the season I think he can be a first or 2nd team All American this yr and I kind of got abused for saying it. I get it he came from a lower conference but the fact I saw him getting pelted every game with so many shots I just knew he could be great at this level. I saw what everyone sees now that there is just something special about this kid. He didn't have a great game vs UNC even tho he still made a lot of saves but he let up goals he normally makes. Carc was raving about Kreig on UNC which he is an excellent goalie himself but I knew that would light a fire under Will. My buddy and I said before the game Will is gonna wanna make a statement today. All game we kept looking at eachother and saying holy smokes this is more then a statement this is just amazing. I think he will be special again Saturday knowing how big this game is. Ppl say take away Will Mark and Cuse loses big. Well no Will Mark is the goalie for SU and hopefully will be in cage every game this yr and next yr. More like figure out how to get the possession battle close to 50% and SU wins agajnst any team in the country. That's why he belongs on this list.

TEWAARATON AWARD NOMINEES​

Name​

School​

Position​

Year​

Gavin AdlerCornellDefenseSr.
Will BowenGeorgetownDefenseGr.
Matt BrandauYaleAttackJr.
Kenny BrowerDukeDefenseSr.
Matt CampbellVillanovaMidfieldGr.
Zach ColeSaint Joseph'sFaceoffGr.
Payton CormierVirginiaAttackSr.
Tucker DordevicGeorgetownAttackGr.
Liam EntenmannNotre DameGoalieSr.
Sam HandleyPennMidfield5th
Pat KavanaghNotre DameAttackSr.
Chris KavanaghNotre DameAttackSo.
CJ KirstCornellAttackJr.
Shane KnoblochRutgersMidfieldJr.
Tye KurtzDelawareAttackSr.
Coulter MackesyPrincetonAttackSo.
Brett MakarMarylandDefenseGr.
TJ MalonePenn StateAttackGr.
Will MarkSyracuseGoalieJr.
Brennan O'NeillDukeAttackJr.
Ross ScottRutgersAttackSr.
Connor ShellenbergerVirginiaAttackSr.
Mike SisselbergerLehighFaceoffGr.
Luke WiermanMarylandFaceoffSr.
Josh ZawadaMichiganAttackSr.

Very difficult for a Frosh or even Soph to get added. There was only one Soph and zero freshmen this year.

Spallina has had a great year but he's 18th in the country in points per game (4.69). The leader is CJ Kirst at 5.67. That shouldn't be the only deciding factor obviously but its a good starting point. It is better than nominee Matt Campbell though. I guess the committee considers him a midfielder but posters have said he essentially plays attack. Might Spallina deserve a bit of the benefit of the doubt for being a freshman?

Richard Checo might deserve some love, he's averaging nearly four caused turnovers a game, good for first in the country. I don't see any other glaring omissions. Happy for Mark, that's a big accomplishment. To think SU had two goalies saving the ball below 50% last year to one named to the Tewaarton list a year later is encouraging. Thank you Will Mark for picking SU!

Spallina has had a great year but he's 18th in the country in points per game (4.69). The leader is CJ Kirst at 5.67. That shouldn't be the only deciding factor obviously but its a good starting point. It is better than nominee Matt Campbell though. I guess the committee considers him a midfielder but posters have said he essentially plays attack. Might Spallina deserve a bit of the benefit of the doubt for being a freshman?

Richard Checo might deserve some love, he's averaging nearly four caused turnovers a game, good for first in the country. I don't see any other glaring omissions. Happy for Mark, that's a big accomplishment. To think SU had two goalies saving the ball below 50% last year to one named to the Tewaarton list a year later is encouraging. Thank you Will Mark for picking SU!
Ur SSDM who u pick on a lot played a big part in Will Mark coming to SU. He chose SU first and right away called Will. Will loved SU but wasn't sure what was the best move being SU season last yr. Murphy told him SU has Spalina and he's ready to produce big time as a freshman being he knows Joey and has dad cause he used to go to his dads open practices. Will said ok let's do it Murph. So at least when u get on him remember he helped bring the best goalie in the country who will be there next yr for the final 4 run. So remember that next time u pick on him. Hahahah lmao I'm just messing with u. He did talk him into definitely coming tho. They felt comfortable going together. Both are actually great guys. Just good kids that's why I also stick up for them. Just know the kind of ppl they are. Who u would want ur daughter to marry. For real tho next yr having Will back is gonna be so huge. This team can be top 5 if they fill a few holes in the portal. So exciting

Coach Petro actually asked Murph do u think he can be the same goalie at this level and Murph told him he will be the best on the country I guarantee it, Coach Wolf said the same in an article he said I guarantee Cuse will have their goalie settledfor the next two yrs. He's big athletic and just cool calm and collected. Doesn't get rattled. He special and happy for him

Will Mark has certainly had a great year. I think both Mark and Entenmann have benefited from being under the bright lights of the ACC and justifiably so given the strength of the ACC this year. Mark's stats were padded a bit by playing the Bonnies, Albany, Hobart and Holy Cross. The other goalie that has had a great year but little media coverage is Chayse Ierlan for Cornell. He hasn't had many powder puff games either.

I think the inclusions of Mark and Entenmann reflect not only this year but several years of strong play.
Of course, I would put Mark and Ierlan ahead of Entenmann this year - Entenmann has been able to play behind the ND defense for the past few years, something most goalies would die for.

Will Mark has certainly had a great year. I think both Mark and Entenmann have benefited from being under the bright lights of the ACC and justifiably so given the strength of the ACC this year. Mark's stats were padded a bit by playing the Bonnies, Albany, Hobart and Holy Cross. The other goalie that has had a great year but little media coverage is Chayse Ierlan for Cornell. He hasn't had many powder puff games either.

I think the inclusions of Mark and Entenmann reflect not only this year but several years of strong play.
Of course, I would put Mark and Ierlan ahead of Entenmann this year - Entenmann has been able to play behind the ND defense for the past few years, something most goalies would die for.
If anyone isn't already aware that the ACC is the best conference, just look at Mark's save % against ACC teams - of the 4 games against the ACC, his % was below 50% in 3 of the 4 (the one exception being his standout Duke game). This is not a negative point about Mark - just an illustration of the difference in level of competition. In contrast, Mark was above 50% against both MD and Hopkins from the BIG10 and Princeton from the Ivy.

If anyone isn't already aware that the ACC is the best conference, just look at Mark's save % against ACC teams - of the 4 games against the ACC, his % was below 50% in 3 of the 4 (the one exception being his standout Duke game). This is not a negative point about Mark - just an illustration of the difference in level of competition. In contrast, Mark was above 50% against both MD and Hopkins from the BIG10 and Princeton from the Ivy.
Ahh ur always negative lmao. First u said Will Mark will not break 50% and has no shot at making All American when I said I think he will before the season. U said he's not saving shots from Joe Shmo from Wagner. I said no but he's played well against guys like Levi Anderson and Carter Page and once again u said not impressed. Then u said SU has no shot to beat a ranked team and definitely not an ACC team this yr so everyone stop hoping, Well all of that is happening and I believe u said SU can't win one of these last two games which got me excited because now their odds just went up. Ur a negative thinker just look at how ur looking up stats to find something negative. As for the ACC percentage Will had his worst game in an SU uniform against UNC the first contest which UNC was painting corners and shooting lights out. Not many goalies would have saved many of those. Then he had 27 saves agajnst Duke. U can always find negatives but a lot of us rather look at the positives and get excited. I hope ur streak continues and SU wins one of these games. Hahaha I'm only busting ya balls.

Also u can't go by that either because do you think UNC is a better team then Maryland and Hopkins? He had a bad game vs UNC while also like I said they shot as good as any team I have seen. Even Coach Gait said he hasn't seen a team shoot like that in the dome on a very long time. Will Mark is one of if not the best goalie in the country right now. Imagine what his stats would be if he played behind Marylands defense?

Lol for real im teasing you. Yes ur negative but u also make a lot of valid pts thru out the season. I respect ur opinions so don't take it the wrong way. Just having a little fun

Lol for real im teasing you. Yes ur negative but u also make a lot of valid pts thru out the season. I respect ur opinions so don't take it the wrong way. Just having a little fun
No offense taken. That's what makes sports so much fun. Mark wanted to come to Cuse to test himself against the best and he has shown his toughness and skill behind a young defense. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have 2 sons that played goalie at a high level so I know exactly what he has had to deal with.

My original point stands - as long as he only played at LIU, there would have been questions and doubters - other than you! He took on the challenge at Cuse which some kids would not have done. I just hope the fans and alumni aren't negative if these next 2 games don't go well for the team.

And in the spirit of fun, you should check the stats in the Duke game - Will was originally given credit for 27 saves but the number was revised down to 22 after they realized 5 saves actually hit the posts! That was mainly Brennan O'Neill as I recall. Regardless, that was Mark's best game of the year IMO and I was there to see it.

No offense taken. That's what makes sports so much fun. Mark wanted to come to Cuse to test himself against the best and he has shown his toughness and skill behind a young defense. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have 2 sons that played goalie at a high level so I know exactly what he has had to deal with.

My original point stands - as long as he only played at LIU, there would have been questions and doubters - other than you! He took on the challenge at Cuse which some kids would not have done. I just hope the fans and alumni aren't negative if these next 2 games don't go well for the team.
Ur right he would have never got the credit at LIU but we all saw he was special. That's why we all expected him to perform how he has this yr. His old goalie coach Jack Runkel who played goalie at Loyola said the same about him. U know how I knew it too? His freshman yr was the season LIU made the jump to D 1. It was the Covid yr and some senior D 2 leftover defenseman were playing in front of him. There actually is a big jump from D 2 to lower level D 1. The kids are bigger, faster and more athletic. Those D 2 kids were useless, they were scared and guys would be left open in front of the cage all game long. Poor Will would get peppered from 10 yds out non stop while being a freshman and was phenomenal. I don't care if your Bryant or Maryland that is tough for a goalie yet he never got rattled, never yelled at his defense and had a save percentage of 57%. Those are the things we saw and just knew he was special. It would have been a shame if coach Wolf didn't leave for NJIT because Will would have most likely stayed. Him and Jake were both loyal to him. Even tho Will wanted to play at the highest level he would have stayed loyal and no one would truly know how good of a goalie he is. Hopefully he saved his best for these last 2 games.

Ur right he would have never got the credit at LIU but we all saw he was special. That's why we all expected him to perform how he has this yr. His old goalie coach Jack Runkel who played goalie at Loyola said the same about him. U know how I knew it too? His freshman yr was the season LIU made the jump to D 1. It was the Covid yr and some senior D 2 leftover defenseman were playing in front of him. There actually is a big jump from D 2 to lower level D 1. The kids are bigger, faster and more athletic. Those D 2 kids were useless, they were scared and guys would be left open in front of the cage all game long. Poor Will would get peppered from 10 yds out non stop while being a freshman and was phenomenal. I don't care if your Bryant or Maryland that is tough for a goalie yet he never got rattled, never yelled at his defense and had a save percentage of 57%. Those are the things we saw and just knew he was special. It would have been a shame if coach Wolf didn't leave for NJIT because Will would have most likely stayed. Him and Jake were both loyal to him. Even tho Will wanted to play at the highest level he would have stayed loyal and no one would truly know how good of a goalie he is. Hopefully he saved his best for these last 2 games.
While I had hoped for an upset today, I guess my comments about goalies playing against ACC teams look pretty accurate. Mark looked pretty average out there out there but it was a shooting gallery against the best of the best shooters. I'm sure he felt like his head was on a swivel. It's a good thing he's a tough kid as he gets Duke next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom