2023 USMNT | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2023 USMNT

Oman Thoughts...

We played much better against Oman although Oman was clearly a step down from Uzbekistan so was tough to say if it was the team or the opponent.

Same formation, 4-3-3, but with a defensive trident with McKennie and Musah as dual 6s and Tillman as the 10.

Once again, tough to say if formation or opponent but McKennie had a great game (although those long diagonals will not be there against better opponents). McKennie and Musah also look more comfortable playing a little deeper. Once again, was that them or just an opponent giving up much more space. Don't know.

Once again, we looked much more fluid with Balogun. He is so comfortable dropping between the lines and receiving the ball, even with pressure. And, if there is no pressure, he can also pick out a pass. That basically gives us an extra guy in midfield to play through. Once again, the color guy mentioned how much better we looked in the first half but once again gave no reason as to why.

I think Richards and Robinson are the centerback pairing of the future. Just my opinion. They, also my opinion, make playing with three centerbacks more feasible if we ever want to go to a 3-5-2. Dest has played wingback. Weah and McKennie are both playing wingback for Juve. Robinson could play wingback. Gives us formation options.

Pulisic with another forgettable night. He is playing so well for Milan so I did not see these two performances coming. Perhaps a hint of tired legs getting 90 each game versus virtually no PT last year?

Tillman did nothing to stand out but did not show that he did not belong. But it was Oman. Need to see him against better competition.

I also really liked what they were able to do with Ortiz. She basically sat right next to bench and could hear everything GGG was saying so, as she passed along tidbits to the booth, one could try to compare what the team was doing with what GGG was asking and also gain at least some understanding of in-game tactics.

Thought Lund did fine. Does a nice job getting forward and has better touch than Robinson.

Horvath distribution so much better than Turner's.

What I would like to see GGG do in the next two friendlies is do some experimentation in midfield. Get DLT the start to see if he can be effective against higher level competition. We know what MMA can do. We also know that you cannot go with MMA only in a tournament. So we need to figure out our options in midfield and what adjustments we will need to make if, for example, we start DLT as the regista.

The problem with Oman and 'Stan is that they do not prepare you for Copa America. What works against them may not work against better sides.

I don't care whether we win or lose these next two friendlies but I do want to see us try and learn some things.

It would also be nice if Reyna were healthy so he could be slotted in so he could get some work with Balogun, DLT etc...

Tillman was certainly better than Tessman in MF. Lund was very good. Lund did show better touch than Robinson, but not the same explosive speed getting down the left flank. Lund is more of a possession and defense kind of left back.

I think that a lot of our MF questions after McKennie, Musah and Adams have to include people like Aaronson in the 10 role, De La Torre for deep lying playmaker, Reyna as the real #10 (if he can stay healthy), and maybe another guy who can break through. Probably another defensive destroyer. But that looks like the group, to me.

Balogun is a lot like Nicolas Jackson for Chelsea, but is maybe more dangerous due to his link up play.

As for playing these opponents; only Asian teams were available this window, due to cup qualifying for Europe, South America, and the Africa Cup of Nations. I think it was good to work against low boxes. I think Berhalter actually is introducing some new offensive patterns of movement. As you said after the Uzbekistan game, there was a lot more interchange among the front 3. A lot more unpredictability.

That's huge progress from Berhalter as a coach. Let's hope to see more of the same against Germany & Ghana. Those will be important games.

I think that a lot of our MF questions after McKennie, Musah and Adams have to include people like Aaronson in the 10 role, De La Torre for deep lying playmaker, Reyna as the real #10 (if he can stay healthy), and maybe another guy who can break through. Probably another defensive destroyer. But that looks like the group, to me.
If DLT is up for the challenge, I see:

DLT as regista
Adams as the 6
Musah as an 8 or the 6
McKennie as an 8
Reyna as the 10

The above gives us both numbers and flexibility (ie. go with a regista or a 6)..we need a backup at the 10..

Aaronson offers flexibility..he can slot into midfield or as a winger.

Excited for this...
Maybe we'll finally get some USMNT matches in ATL.

Also excited to see Messi in person tomorrow!

Last edited:
Any concerns with Folarin Balogun having issues with GGG approach

If it continues and it's evident the gap in tactics during Copa America then I think it will be hard for USSF to keep Berhalter.

I do think his tactics from previous seasons are poor for forwards and I hope he adjusts more.

He looked good to me. It seemed like we were at our best when he was in there. Yes, Pepi slammed in a couple, but Balogun is a very "European" number 9. I think he's going to be fine. He's look pretty good so far to me.

GGG called up a really good roster for this friendly window, seems to finally be moving away from the MLS lifers. Roster call ups are finally where they should be now let’s hope the play on the field improves too. We looked so much better over the summer under BJ and Hudson than we did for the 2 games back under GGG last month.

GGG called up a really good roster for this friendly window, seems to finally be moving away from the MLS lifers. Roster call ups are finally where they should be now let’s hope the play on the field improves too. We looked so much better over the summer under BJ and Hudson than we did for the 2 games back under GGG last month.

Rough outing vs Germany. Really worry we are going to waste this talent under Greg.

Rough outing vs Germany. Really worry we are going to waste this talent under Greg.
Solid first half and then yeah the wheels came off. Really seems like Gio is the key like many of us were saying for a long time, when he came out we had nothing centrally. Agreed though nobody can convince me Greg was the right coach to get the most out of the most talented USMNT of all time.

Solid first half and then yeah the wheels came off. Really seems like Gio is the key like many of us were saying for a long time, when he came out we had nothing centrally. Agreed though nobody can convince me Greg was the right coach to get the most out of the most talented USMNT of all time.

I don't know if BJ should have been the guy but wish they gave him a shot instead of just bringing Greg back.

I don't know if BJ should have been the guy but wish they gave him a shot instead of just bringing Greg back.
If we were staying in house to keep continuity no matter what, I would’ve preferred him to be completely honest. How he had them playing in the nations league is the best the USMNT have looked in a very long time. Against our rivals in Mexico and Canada and we made light work of them.

If we were staying in house to keep continuity no matter what, I would’ve preferred him to be completely honest. How he had them playing in the nations league is the best the USMNT have looked in a very long time. Against our rivals in Mexico and Canada and we made light work of them.

Yeah you need good tactics and lineup management but you also need to not over think it. Greg gets lost it seems in some of these matches. BJ in his limited time did a far better job giving guys a better chance to succeed

Gregg Berhalter is legitimately a mediocre to bad manager. Look at his club record in Sweden and MLS. He's not good...period.

I don’t think berhalter lets them play direct enough.

Having said that, Germany got a few funny bounces, and dest repeatedly got skinned by Sane causing all kinds of havoc.

I didn’t see the game , I was extremely busy sulking, but if it was like most friendlys the second half was full of subs which means don’t worry about the second 45 minutes. But as i said I didn’t see it .

The ability to finish is unlike what we’ve every seen. Pretty exciting going forward

the team has some decent runs when its going forward and not stuck trying to make passes to get out of the back end.

The ability to finish is unlike what we’ve every seen. Pretty exciting going forward
For those that did not watch, the USMNT played Ghana last night and played well.

More than 2½ years before the World Cup, the value of these U.S. men’s national team friendlies is found not necessarily in the outcome but in execution, individual performances and tangible strides. The eye is on long-term development, not short-term satisfaction.

But in these days well before the sport’s quadrennial spectacle comes to North America in 2026, there is still something gratifying about performing at a near-immaculate level over 45 sensational minutes.

Four days after a humbling defeat to Germany, the Americans recorded four goals in a dominant first half and smashed Ghana, 4-0, on Tuesday night at Geodis Park.
“Our job is to continue to build and progress and get better and improve,” Coach Gregg Berhalter said. “And when you see a half like the first half that we played, it certainly is a marker that we’re getting better and we’re improving.”

Gio Reyna, reunited with Berhalter for the first camp since their fallout at the World Cup last year, scored twice, and Christian Pulisic and Folarin Balogun added one goal apiece. They did it against one of Africa’s best teams, which made several mistakes but also couldn’t keep pace with the hungry and swift Americans.

The attacking quartet of Reyna, Pulisic, Balogun and Tim Weah, complemented by slippery right back Sergiño Dest, stretched Ghana’s resistance with sharp combinations, smart runs and efficient finishing.
“You could see the energy within the group, wanting to come out and show, after a tough one the other day, just to give everything in that first half,” Pulisic said. “The guys really came out flying.”

For those that did not watch, the USMNT played Ghana last night and played well.

More than 2½ years before the World Cup, the value of these U.S. men’s national team friendlies is found not necessarily in the outcome but in execution, individual performances and tangible strides. The eye is on long-term development, not short-term satisfaction.

But in these days well before the sport’s quadrennial spectacle comes to North America in 2026, there is still something gratifying about performing at a near-immaculate level over 45 sensational minutes.

Four days after a humbling defeat to Germany, the Americans recorded four goals in a dominant first half and smashed Ghana, 4-0, on Tuesday night at Geodis Park.
“Our job is to continue to build and progress and get better and improve,” Coach Gregg Berhalter said. “And when you see a half like the first half that we played, it certainly is a marker that we’re getting better and we’re improving.”

Gio Reyna, reunited with Berhalter for the first camp since their fallout at the World Cup last year, scored twice, and Christian Pulisic and Folarin Balogun added one goal apiece. They did it against one of Africa’s best teams, which made several mistakes but also couldn’t keep pace with the hungry and swift Americans.

The attacking quartet of Reyna, Pulisic, Balogun and Tim Weah, complemented by slippery right back Sergiño Dest, stretched Ghana’s resistance with sharp combinations, smart runs and efficient finishing.
“You could see the energy within the group, wanting to come out and show, after a tough one the other day, just to give everything in that first half,” Pulisic said. “The guys really came out flying.”

That looked like the energy and effort we saw under BJ. When you have such a higher level of quality you have to let them play with more freedom. Tactics are still important but you have 4 guys out there that are a problem for most any defense in the world. Don't handcuff that.

Here's the highlights...
The Balogun finish in particular is very un-US striker like in its definitiveness (if thats a word)

That was the first time we've seen those guys in attack play with so much chemistry. That first half was so positive going forward for everybody - pretty much all the important players have found the net in the last two international breaks.

That was the first time we've seen those guys in attack play with so much chemistry. That first half was so positive going forward for everybody - pretty much all the important players have found the net in the last two international breaks.
Fwiw they had that same chemistry in the first half against Germany. They carved out some decent chances and had Germany on the back foot a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom