2024 MLB Season | Syracusefan.com

2024 MLB Season

Beltré, Mauer, and Helton inducted to the Hall.
Beltre was a no-brainer. I wasn't sure if Maurer's elite years were long enough before concussions and other injuries caught up to him, but upon review of his stats, he deserves it. As the article mentions, the Coors factor is big with Helton, but 133 adjusted OPS is pretty darn good.

Mauer is in, Mattingly stays out. Numbers are basically the same.

I guess Donnie Baseball played at the wrong time. Before they let everyone in.

They basically have comparable offensive careers stats (123 and 124 wRC+). Mattingly gets hurt for playing the easiest position on the field (even though we all believed him to be a great fielding 1B). Mauer played the more valuable position most of the time, so I put him ahead of Mattingly.

I am surprised that Mattingly's defensive metrics are unimpressive. I wonder if they would be better if they had trackman/hawkeye data back then. I actually don't know how they go back and figure the defensive metrics prior to the 2000s.

Two things surprise me even though Beltre and Mauer are legit hall of fame

1. Beltre getting 95% on first ballot (not surprised that he got in this year. but surprised at the high amount)
2. Mauer getting in on first ballot.(he fit the profile of a player that would get in after some wait)

Although maybe I shouldn't have been that surprised based on recent trends. The old school thoght, where some were extremely stringent on first year HOF's, or mande people wait, has slowly degraded. Now its simply if your a Hall of Famer, none of this waiting BS, you deserve to get in right away.

I'll give you some example going back to 1990, which you would never see today.

Joe Morgan only got 81% of the vote on his first try
Robin Yount only got 77% on his first try.
Gaylord Perry had to wait 3 years, to finally get 77% of the vote.
Roberto Alomar had to wait 2 years
Craig Biggio had to wait 3 years
Clear cut guys, moreso than Beltre, would typically only get around 90%

Billy Wagner is up to 74% and will be on the final year of the ballot next year.

I can fully respect the logic of the 26% that don't have in the Hall of Fame (I'm not sure if I would put him(, That being said, if 74% of your peers think he is a Hall of Famer (and that player needs 75%) you have to be some sort of cold self absorbed SOB to then leave him off your ballot in his final year.

I suspect he will get a decent bump next year, because not all voters will be that self absorbed

Stark is a fine writer and a Syracuse graduate. I think he is destined to be a member of the Hall of Fame some day as well.

That said, IMHO, he is too lenient with some of his votes here.
I agree with your first paragraph.
I would agree with the second if Stark, a native Philadelphian who wrote for the Inquirer for 21 years, would have voted for Bobby Abreu.

Two things surprise me even though Beltre and Mauer are legit hall of fame

1. Beltre getting 95% on first ballot (not surprised that he got in this year. but surprised at the high amount)
2. Mauer getting in on first ballot.(he fit the profile of a player that would get in after some wait)

Although maybe I shouldn't have been that surprised based on recent trends. The old school thoght, where some were extremely stringent on first year HOF's, or mande people wait, has slowly degraded. Now its simply if your a Hall of Famer, none of this waiting BS, you deserve to get in right away.

I'll give you some example going back to 1990, which you would never see today.

Joe Morgan only got 81% of the vote on his first try
Robin Yount only got 77% on his first try.
Gaylord Perry had to wait 3 years, to finally get 77% of the vote.
Roberto Alomar had to wait 2 years
Craig Biggio had to wait 3 years
Clear cut guys, moreso than Beltre, would typically only get around 90%
Gaylord Perry had the spit ball stuff...
Alomar had a spit problem also ;)
Biggio had steroid suspicions, fair or not.

I was also surprised by Beltré's percentage, but a first ballot guy for sure.
Also, perhaps the voters who might have voted for ARod ot Shef without the PEDs decided to give it to another candidate earlier. Just spitballing here.

Last edited:
Billy Wagner is up to 74% and will be on the final year of the ballot next year.

I can fully respect the logic of the 26% that don't have in the Hall of Fame (I'm not sure if I would put him(, That being said, if 74% of your peers think he is a Hall of Famer (and that player needs 75%) you have to be some sort of cold self absorbed SOB to then leave him off your ballot in his final year.

I suspect he will get a decent bump next year, because not all voters will be that self absorbed

How Wagner didn't get in is beyond me.

Gaylord Perry had the spit ball stuff...
Alomar had a spit problem also ;)
Biggio had steroid suspicions, fair or not.

I was also surprised by Beltré's percentage, but a first ballot guy for sure.
Also, perhaps the voters who might have voted for ARod ot Shef without the PEDs decided to give it to another candidate earlier. Just spitballing here.

How Wagner didn't get in is beyond me.

He did

Honus-Wagner.jpg

I think you need to keep it to 162 games as long as so many records and the major one are based on that. But you could do it easily if the union agrees to bring back Sunday double-headers. 14 of them and you can carve two weeks off the season. 21 of them and you can eliminate three weeks. Take two off the beginning so you can play more warm weather games and one off the end of the season to make room for all the playoff games.

Royals are trying to get a new stadium so time to start acting like a serious franchise.

National League Teams Are Still Figuring Out This Whole DH Thing

…Over the last two seasons, just two NL teams — the Phillies and the Dodgers — have ranked in the top 10 in offensive runs above average from the DH position. For Philadelphia, most of that came from Bryce Harper, who spent much of the last two years at the position while playing around injuries. The Dodgers have had it pretty good, too; Justin Turner split time with Max Muncy and Will Smith in 2022, and then All-Star J.D. Martinez took over as the club’s regular DH last season. And now they have Shohei Ohtani...

I think you need to keep it to 162 games as long as so many records and the major one are based on that. But you could do it easily if the union agrees to bring back Sunday double-headers. 14 of them and you can carve two weeks off the season. 21 of them and you can eliminate three weeks. Take two off the beginning so you can play more warm weather games and one off the end of the season to make room for all the playoff games.
Expanding rosters and Mondays off after doubleheader should do it. I would probably look to Saturdays instead.

Out Of Options 2024

Every spring at MLBTR, we publish a list of players who are out of minor league options and cannot be sent to the minor leagues without first clearing outright waivers. Option status is particularly relevant as teams set their rosters prior to Opening Day. A lack of minor league options is often a key reason a certain player will make the roster over another who had a superior spring performance, and it’s a frequent factor in March trades.
Mets

Red Sox

Yankees

I'm trying to figure out why NY (+140) would be favored over Baltimore (+200) to win the AL East. Any theories?

Catcher vs 1B. People overly hype NY players, especially the Yankees. They did it with Munson, too.

Catcher vs 1B. People overly hype NY players, especially the Yankees. They did it with Munson, too.

Mattingly was over hyped? Ok.

It’s a Hall of Very Good now.

Mattingly was over hyped? Ok.

It’s a Hall of Very Good now.

Mattingly was probably the best player in the game for several years and was brought down by back problems, not by a regression to some mediocre mean.

Mattingly was probably the best player in the game for several years and was brought down by back problems, not by a regression to some mediocre mean.

There is no doubt in my mind that he was a HoFer. He fell victim to the longevity game. There are dudes in ahead of him that couldn't carry his jock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom