2024 NFL Thread | Syracusefan.com

2024 NFL Thread

kirbivore

2019 Cali Award (Passing Yards)
I figure we can throw the draft stuff in here instead of a separate NFL Draft thread. My Raiders managed to lose too many to make the playoffs but win enough to pick #13. Another year of purgatory. Love to see them trade for Fields. Not thrilled with this mock draft projection.

McCarthy is another Gino Torretta carried by a dominant team. Dude will impress at the combine and interviews and be a massive bust. Perfect for the Raiders. :(

I figure we can throw the draft stuff in here instead of a separate NFL Draft thread. My Raiders managed to lose too many to make the playoffs but win enough to pick #13. Another year of purgatory. Love to see them trade for Fields. Not thrilled with this mock draft projection.

McCarthy is another Gino Torretta carried by a dominant team. Dude will impress at the combine and interviews and be a massive bust. Perfect for the Raiders. :(
McCarthy is pretty young, He’d be 21 through the entire ‘24 season. Nix and Penix are quite a bit older. So if you’re going to take a swing on one of the 2nd teir QBs, he’d probably be the one to do it on. I don’t really trust QBs who didn’t do a ton until they were 2-3 years older than everyone else. McCarthy is pretty slight in his build, though, I don’t know if he’s really 6’3” either, that scares me and I don’t know that I’d take him in the first half of the first round.

I have a feeling Jayden Daniels winds up the best QB out of this draft.

There was a mock draft by someone (I don’t really pay attention to the authors as they are all done for clicks) , suggestion the Bears take McCarthy #1.

The coach and teammates are just as important in the NFL as in college. Good QBs getting picked by bad teams who can’t figure out why they are bad, will always struggle.

I think JJ is a solid prospect. I have an early 2nd round grade on him so probably fine to be taking him late first. The recent projections of him going top 15 are a bit much but that’s the QB position for ya. I don’t get the top 5 Jayden Daniels buzz either. I actually have a significantly higher grade on JJ. Entirely possible I look like an idiot in a few years but of the 6 QBs I’ve scouted so far I have Daniels 6th.

What a waste of space Chiefs owner Clark Hunt is. The guy is born well past third base, and is a billionaire, yet can't seem to take care of his players who have won him three Super Bowls.

430550811_928178712646985_2011478209049187723_n.jpg

What a waste of space Chiefs owner Clark Hunt is. The guy is born well past third base, and is a billionaire, yet can't seem to take care of his players who have won him three Super Bowls.

View attachment 238303
This actually came out the same day that the Chiefs announced proposed Arrowhead renovations in light of the Royals proposed moving to a downtown stadium. Of course, Clark wants taxpayer money. Not a great look.

View attachment 238303
Not sure about waste of space. The grade seems to be due to the chiefs aging practice facility and a promised renovation that was supposed to be after the 2022 season that hasn’t happened yet.

Well, McCarthy didn’t quite come in at 6’3”, but he did weight in at 219, which’ll play if he actually plays at that weight.

Not sure about waste of space. The grade seems to be due to the chiefs aging practice facility and a promised renovation that was supposed to be after the 2022 season that hasn’t happened yet.
Fair enough, but they also got very bad grades in treatment of families, training staff, team travel and nutrition which are non facility related.

Fair enough, but they also got very bad grades in treatment of families, training staff, team travel and nutrition which are non facility related.
Obviously, its not great for the chiefs to not be providing what others are, but bear in mind these horrendous grades are based on things like:

On site day care only on game days
83% of the players feel like they have a comfortable amount of personal space during flights (15th overall)
The Chiefs are one of seven teams that require some of their players to have roommates the night before a game
82% of players feel they have enough hot tub space (18th overall)
81% of players feel they have enough cold tub space (21st overall)
The weight room is “average”
The head dietician is not physically present in the facility enough

So, these are things that seem… not that bad, perhaps inadequately luxurious for a multi billion dollar enterprise.

There are a few things, like players feeling like the training staff does have enough full time members to provide adequately personalized regimens that are a bit more concerning, though I’m not sure on-field results back up those feelings. But its not like the players are being neglected and Clark Hunt is just sitting back and watching his value rise. There is planned renovations to the stadium that’s frankly been held up by the Royals getting their shite together.

I have several conflicting opinions about players skipping the combine or picking & choosing which activities they participate in.

Michigan grad and fan here , can’t for the life of me understand why there is any hype around this guy as a potential nfl QB.

Michigan grad and fan here , can’t for the life of me understand why there is any hype around this guy as a potential nfl QB.
I disagree with you. Of course QBs taken in the first or second round are probably a 50/50 proposition at best. So many of them end up as disappointing picks. I think he goes in the first round and I think he'll be a solid NFL QB. He's an excellent athlete, has a strong arm and has all the intangibles. His accuracy needs work for sure but rarely are college QBs a finished product. Obviously his performance will depend to some degree on who drafts him and the support he receives in terms of coaching, talent around him etc. JMO

"His accuracy needs work for sure but rarely are college QBs a finished product"
the hardest thing to fix. For every Josh Allen there are 50 Kyle Bollers

No posts about Russ getting released?

Steven A Stiff with the brilliant idea of allowing running backs to enter the NFL earlier than other positions so they reach free agency at a younger age and thus will be more sought after in their second contract.

Someone tell him it’s not the age so much as the mileage / wear and tear. If you had a 26 year old Rb with a ton of miles vs a 28 yo with minimal miles , each a free agent with the same ability , guess who is going to be more wanted. ?

I'm praying some other team takes McCarthy before the Raiders can make that mistake at #13

Steven A Stiff with the brilliant idea of allowing running backs to enter the NFL earlier than other positions so they reach free agency at a younger age and thus will be more sought after in their second contract.
That sounds like a p%#$ name

No posts about Russ getting released?
When I'm feeling down, or stressed, I go to Russel's contract page on spotrac and look at all the dead money and it makes me happy.

The way the media covers the running back value situation is beyond stupid. They act like it’s a problem in need of a solution. Teams haven’t all decided to collude out of spite to reduce this one positions earning potential.

You hear phrases like “what can be done to fix this situation”. So dumb. What can we do to fix the cost of peanut butter ? Alter the supply or demand.

There just isn’t enough of a difference between these guys and freely available talent to warrant big contract outlays. There’s nothing wrong with the system BEYOND that which is inherent for ALL positions. (As in you are drafted and have no say where you start your career and have an artificially restricted entry salary, but this is a much more interesting discussion that never takes place )