IMG_4895.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4870.jpeg
    IMG_4870.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4868.jpeg
    IMG_4868.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
15 year old Miles Russell becomes youngest player to finish top 20 in a professional event. The next big thing.

Could be the next big thing... or nothing -- but I remember about a dozen years ago (maybe add a year or two), when Matteo Manassero and Ryo Ishikawa were doing big things as 16/17/18 year olds. And they are not doing much anymore around the age of 30.

Manassero made the Cut at the Masters at 16 years old. Won 2 events on the European tour at 17,

I forget the name of the golf book **, but there was a fascinating part about Ty Tryon another young phenom who made some cuts on the PGA Tour at 17. He said it was so easy doing great things as a 16 or 17 year old on tour - there was no pressure, it wasn't a "job". Then he realized when he got on the tee for the first time as a pro (after getting his card at Q-School) that it was now a "job" and that really ****** with his head.

** it was a book by John Feinstein following players at the old PGA Tour School.

It was simply a learning experience for Charlie Woods. I'm sure he had no expectations to come close to make it through this first stage - his handicap index is good enough to qualify for the first (of 3 stages I think) of US Open qualifying, The cost to get the opportunity to play is a few grand or so. Not an issue for him.

It was simply a learning experience for Charlie Woods. I'm sure he had no expectations to come close to make it through this first stage - his handicap index is good enough to qualify for the first (of 3 stages I think) of US Open qualifying, The cost to get the opportunity to play is a few grand or so. Not an issue for him.
Fair enough. No harm done. Just seems like a bit of undue pressure.

Because he had one bad round?
He also had a bad round trying to qualify for the Cognizant Classic, but like jncuse said, no harm.

Random question Marsh, you ever play in the Bogie at Bellevue?

$200 to qualify. Must have a 0.4 index or better to enter.

He's listed as a +3.0, but has not posted a score in 2024 prior to today. That 86? Not posted.

IMO, he should stick with AJGA and FSGA competitions until he learns how to win (or compete) against top junior talent. He'll have every opportunity in the world, and then some, to succeed. He'll get sponsor invites for years, and access to the best coaches in the game, but he's gotta want it more than anybody. And that can be hard given that he doesn't have to work a day in his life.

He's listed as a +3.0, but has not posted a score in 2024 prior to today. That 86? Not posted.

IMO, he should stick with AJGA and FSGA competitions until he learns how to win (or compete) against top junior talent. He'll have every opportunity in the world, and then some, to succeed. He'll get sponsor invites for years, and access to the best coaches in the game, but he's gotta want it more than anybody. And that can be hard given that he doesn't have to work a day in his life.
This is what I was getting at. Thanks for articulating it. I'm pulling for Charlie and enjoy watching him play w/ his dad in the PNC. Just think he should focus on beating his peers before the pros, but no harm.

This is what I was getting at. Thanks for articulating it. I'm pulling for Charlie and enjoy watching him play w/ his dad in the PNC. Just think he should focus on beating his peers before the pros, but no harm.

It’s a one day event and seems like 18 holes. Later stages I know are one day 36 holes. On a Thursday.

How is a distraction from junior golf tournaments when there isn’t even a junior event being played on most Thursdays.

1.4 not 0.4.

Show me the publicly available information regarding his current handicap to back up your claims.

His 86 from two months ago? Why would that impact his current handicap. I’m certain he has played 20 rounds since then. Also that pga Monday qualifying event is probably not even a score that is eligible for handicap purposes given it was a professional tournament conditions where the base slope and rating are not valid.

Also it was a one round event on a Thursday. Almost certainly not interfering with a junior event.

You are correct on the 200.

Last edited:
1.4 not 0.4.

Show me the publicly available information regarding his current handicap to back up your claim.

His 86 from two months ago? Why would that impact his current handicap. The only reason you think it would is because you don’t understand how golf handicaps are calculated.
Don't try to lecture me on golf and handicaps. First you stated it was a "few grand or so" ($200) over 3 stages (2), and now you question the criteria and my knowledge of handicaps. How about looking at the GHIN site to see his previous scores? For someone who presumably plays multiple times a week, he doesn't regularly post his scores.

Making the U.S. Open: Qualifying and Exemptions Explained

From GHIN:

Well thanks for providing that, I didn't realize it was publicly available.

That being said a few thoughts here. Although it is certainly possible that is the only rounds he has posted, I think there are a few more plausible scenarios in my view.

- Regarding the scores that are posted. Is it possible that those are all from tournament rounds he has played? Where the tournament is uploading data to GHIN on scores for the field at the end? And that his handicap for all his rounds is being maintained under a separate identifier for privacy reasons?

- Regarding the 86. That was in a professional golf event so its probably not even handicap eligible. Professional tour players unlike amateurs tournament players are not required to maintain handicaps. At minimum there would have been nobody from the tournament uploading data to GHIN.

- Based on what I have read the GHIN has a privacy policy. As a member of a golf course you are able to see more about fellow members, but less about those outside of your club - although you should be able to see all of Charlie's scores without exact dates apparently.. Course administrators that ascertain things are able to see more data. Since there are different settings on GHIN, it wouldn't surprise me that certain USGA members are also able to ask/apply for more privacy when it comes to disclosing scores. Charlie Woods is a pretty high profile 15 year old - do you want to publicly disclose where he is playing everyday? I'm sure former presidents or officials have their information hidden for privacy and security reasons as well.

Charlie Woods "Full" profile might not even be the one you are looking at... the only stuff you can publicly see is information relating to certain tournaments.

That being said, what does make my theory skeptical, is the rounds that he has shown are consistently very good. A handicap of +3.0 is 4.4 shots above what is required, and there is no way in my view that is his handicap at this point. I think I read somewhere that the top amateur in the world right now has a handicap of +5.5 or so something.

But if he is maintaining his Handicap under a private identity, that 86 is probably long gone... I'm sure he has played at least 40 rounds the last 2 months.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom