2024 PGA Tour | Syracusefan.com

2024 PGA Tour

F28hMTMWIAIoMWT
F28hOEsWcAERvsD
F28hPnuXsAAvnGV
F28hRLkXUAAzc56

My thoughts on the schedule and format changes

#1 I really like the smaller field for most of the designated / elevated events. Wasn't that the whole purpose of these? To get those players that actually played well into them. Similar to the old WGC events. Players earned there way to those. To many of the designated events this year has 120 to 156 player fields, and were filled by relative journeyman or mid pick players who had not earned their way into "top" tournaments. The whole point should be the middle of the pack guys earn there way to those tournament by playing well in other events- that makes the lower tier events actually mean something. They have also built in spots for guys playing hot the last 5 or last 10 regular events which is also entertaining. A Big, Big + for me.

#2. Good to see Pebble Beach get elevated Everyone knows this course - it should be a special tournament but the field for it have sucked for a number of years.
2 main reasons why players did not come
1) Players are babies and hate playing with amateurs for 72 holes. (although I understand their frustration in this regard). And really hate watching C or D grade celebrities or faceless CEO's playing on Saturday of the event.
2) Players do not playing a tournament on 3 courses, which is also understood

So they have reduced the amateur to 36 holes, and reduced it to 2 courses (or perhaps only 1). This will convince most to come back especially with the $$$.

#3. 12 designated events is a lot -- perhaps too much. Add the 4 majors - the 3 playoff events, the Olympics and that's 20 events. How many other regular events will some of these guys play. Not many. They are making even more of an "A" tour and a "B" tour

#4. **** I hate East Lake. The PGA Tour's Virtue Signaling Paradise. Can the PGA please stop playing its final playoff event at East Lake EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Their is nothing fascinating about the course. MOVE IT AROUND! Moving a big special event too new courses is a not a bad thing. New courses add interest to the viewer for that week.

#5. Canada Screwed Again - Tired of ranting about this -- see my posts above, but now Canada is moved 1 week earlier into end of May (hello this is Canada?) and now immediately proceeding 2 designated events + a major. Screwed by the Travelers again. PGA don't ever tell us again how you care about this important historic tournament - you obviously don't give a **** about its reputation.

#6. Travelers is Designated Again + PGA in the Northeast
I wondered how a meaningless tournament like the Travelers in Hartford is afforded designated status again. Then I realized its the only PGA tour site remaining in the Northeast which is probably why they are elevating it. The PGA Tour no longer has any playoff events in the Northeast either. Two of the playoff events in the best used to be 1) TPC Boston and 2) A NY/NJ Course. Now the playoff events are Memphis (again) Denver, and Atlanta (again). Of course the Northeast gets treated well in terms of US Open and PGA Championships but they are largely now ignored by the tour itself. I wonder why there has never been another regular event in the Northeast. I guess it just does not work?

#7 Honda is no longer a sponsor of the Honda Classic Long time sponsors of regular events can't be happy about the number of designated events. Honda was the first to leave - there will be others. RBC is also apparently not happy about the Saudi relationship, and are re-considering their sponsorship. (this could impact two tournament)

#8 The Olympics With the designated events and all the money in golf how many players will pass on this event. Furthermore will the Olympics still only use WGR to determine who gets in. This will screw the players playing on LIV - or will they use another formula to determine who is eligible.

#9 The Fall Schedule goes back to offering no points for the playoffs - a bit of a blow to their credibility. That being said it will impact those who get into Sentry and possibly the 2 first designated events of the year so they will remain important.

The PGA has yet to announce its schedule for the 2024 fall season, so its pretty clear there is a shortage of sponsors right now for these events.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more on #'s 3 and 4. Especially 4. Can't we have a final event at a site worthy of hosting the final event?

Couldn't agree more on #'s 3 and 4. Especially 4. Can't we have a final event at a site worthy of hosting the final event?

Good to see someone else feels this way.
I just don't get the obsession with the course other than the PGA tour's desire to virtue signal about the East Lake Project -- which it loves to do over and over. Find somewhere else on the schedule for that.

Good to see someone else feels this way.
I just don't get the obsession with the course other than the PGA tour's desire to virtue signal about the East Lake Project -- which it loves to do over and over. Find somewhere else on the schedule for that.
I always felt part of it was the history and an homage to Bobby Jones.

Sentry TOC underway in Maui. Morikowa, who has roots in Hawaii, and Villegas early clubhouse leaders at -8. Schauffle, who also has Hawaii connections at -7. Lots of love for Maui.

My thoughts on the schedule and format changes

#1 I really like the smaller field for most of the designated / elevated events. Wasn't that the whole purpose of these? To get those players that actually played well into them. Similar to the old WGC events. Players earned there way to those. To many of the designated events this year has 120 to 156 player fields, and were filled by relative journeyman or mid pick players who had not earned their way into "top" tournaments. The whole point should be the middle of the pack guys earn there way to those tournament by playing well in other events- that makes the lower tier events actually mean something. They have also built in spots for guys playing hot the last 5 or last 10 regular events which is also entertaining. A Big, Big + for me.

#2. Good to see Pebble Beach get elevated Everyone knows this course - it should be a special tournament but the field for it have sucked for a number of years.
2 main reasons why players did not come
1) Players are babies and hate playing with amateurs for 72 holes. (although I understand their frustration in this regard). And really hate watching C or D grade celebrities or faceless CEO's playing on Saturday of the event.
2) Players do not playing a tournament on 3 courses, which is also understood

So they have reduced the amateur to 36 holes, and reduced it to 2 courses (or perhaps only 1). This will convince most to come back especially with the $$$.

#3. 12 designated events is a lot -- perhaps too much. Add the 4 majors - the 3 playoff events, the Olympics and that's 20 events. How many other regular events will some of these guys play. Not many. They are making even more of an "A" tour and a "B" tour

#4. **** I hate East Lake. The PGA Tour's Virtue Signaling Paradise. Can the PGA please stop playing its final playoff event at East Lake EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Their is nothing fascinating about the course. MOVE IT AROUND! Moving a big special event too new courses is a not a bad thing. New courses add interest to the viewer for that week.

#5. Canada Screwed Again - Tired of ranting about this -- see my posts above, but now Canada is moved 1 week earlier into end of May (hello this is Canada?) and now immediately proceeding 2 designated events + a major. Screwed by the Travelers again. PGA don't ever tell us again how you care about this important historic tournament - you obviously don't give a **** about its reputation.

#6. Travelers is Designated Again + PGA in the Northeast
I wondered how a meaningless tournament like the Travelers in Hartford is afforded designated status again. Then I realized its the only PGA tour site remaining in the Northeast which is probably why they are elevating it. The PGA Tour no longer has any playoff events in the Northeast either. Two of the playoff events in the best used to be 1) TPC Boston and 2) A NY/NJ Course. Now the playoff events are Memphis (again) Denver, and Atlanta (again). Of course the Northeast gets treated well in terms of US Open and PGA Championships but they are largely now ignored by the tour itself. I wonder why there has never been another regular event in the Northeast. I guess it just does not work?

#7 Honda is no longer a sponsor of the Honda Classic Long time sponsors of regular events can't be happy about the number of designated events. Honda was the first to leave - there will be others. RBC is also apparently not happy about the Saudi relationship, and are re-considering their sponsorship. (this could impact two tournament)

#8 The Olympics With the designated events and all the money in golf how many players will pass on this event. Furthermore will the Olympics still only use WGR to determine who gets in. This will screw the players playing on LIV - or will they use another formula to determine who is eligible.

#9 The Fall Schedule goes back to offering no points for the playoffs - a bit of a blow to their credibility. That being said it will impact those who get into Sentry and possibly the 2 first designated events of the year so they will remain important.

The PGA has yet to announce its schedule for the 2024 fall season, so its pretty clear there is a shortage of sponsors right now for these events.
FWIW a couple of years ago a caddie out there told us the pros don’t want to play Spyglass: too hard.

Had both Hovland (10-1) and Speith (25-1) with a chance coming into Saturday. Hovland fell out but Speith is still there.

Fun start to the season. Closest I had was Poston. Excited for a full field this week.

I go through periods where I really struggle with the exact anxiety that he is talking about so I can't even imagine living life the way he had to going through this. I'll be rooting for him this season.

I go through periods where I really struggle with the exact anxiety that he is talking about so I can't even imagine living life the way he had to going through this. I'll be rooting for him this season.

Always liked the guy. :)

We gonna see Henley hit a golf ball today? NBC is terrible.

Nice little Henley choke job down the stretch to ruin my Sunday

Dunlap gonna collapse today? I would appreciate it if he did but I think he runs away.

Who knows.. But you can get all the guys around 20-21 under at almost 50-1. if he does fail then all those guys are 3 back.

worth a shot

Who knows.. But you can get all the guys around 20-21 under at almost 50-1. if he does fail then all those guys are 3 back.

worth a shot
Already have JT, Poston and Cole tickets so just going to let it ride and hope someone I'm on shoots a 60 today and puts some pressure on the kid

Already have JT, Poston and Cole tickets so just going to let it ride and hope someone I'm on shoots a 60 today and puts some pressure on the kid
yup.

Odds are the guys who shot 60-61 dont do it twice and get to 40 under.. And Burns has a 61 too..

Fkkkkking JT. Door just opened right up and he's putting the ball in the water on par 5s after perfect drives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom