2024 Spring Practice | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Spring Practice

It's fun for some to **** on the prior regime as means to quantify how much better (we hope) we currently have it it seems.

End game, Dino's regime can be summed up by lack of depth dictating compromises across many facets. The no huddle obviously went away in pretty short order but equally I don't think the S & C can be fully utilized when you have so many players that will get every snap if even partially able through out the year. Can't push as hard and risk injury in offseason AND need players to carry a bit more soft weight into the season in hopes that it will help keep body from breaking down later in the year as snap count elevates.

It's all incremental build to this point and, due to current depth, we can finally hopefully take a large step forward. That said, Dino's tenure was a step from that which proceeded him and hopefully HCFB will prove to be exponential vs incremental as his is likely our last shot at "big time" college football heading into the next conference alignment shuffle.
Dino was great. He was snake bitten with Covid, opt-outs, bad luck injuries a few bad calls (Clemson). Went to a number of bowl games, had some huge wins and improved under his tenure. Also was a great ambassador of the program and upped our talent. Hope is Brown takes that and grows it. Brown inherits very good defense and leaders, Wax, Barron, Deuce, McDonald, Sparrow, Bailey, Jobity, and elite players on O, Elite OG and other high potential WR’s,( Peña, Brown, Hatcher and the Frosh) some decent linemen and a great RB.Outstanding Punter and kicker. So, the hope is Brown adds elite talent on top of this great base and we win a NC! McCord was a huge get still think we need a stud backup at QB. In coaching circles Dino is highly regarded. Would like to see Brown become an elite coach with his recruiting prowess. So far like everything he is doing.

Calling what he did “revolutionary” was part of the wave of orange-tinted optimism when Dino (FHCDB) and his staff were hired. After being consistently man-handled during the FHCSS tenure, any change was perceived as positive and welcomed.
Things are seldom as good as perceived in the beginning, and maybe he could’ve done better if FHCDB had run a tighter ship. Who knows?
But there is already evidence for better S&C in just a few months, and that is reason enough for a little levity at Coach Edinger’s expense. It’s hardly character assassination and if he was truly awful (NOT saying he was), then the fault is with FHCDB for not recognizing and dealing with it.
What I'm pointing out is people are quick to call the new thing great while bashing the old thing, when nothing exists in a vacuum.

At the time, Edinger's approach to resistance and flexibility training was going to help team speed and "Orange is the New Fast" was going to be revolutionary for the program.

It's okay to be optimistic but people are so quick to throw everyone and anyone under the bus.

Always appreciate your perspective, but I never bought into him and thought it was comical how people fell in love with the guy because he looked and acted tough on the sidelines.
People bought into him because of the style of training. I remember a few on here at the time that vouched for this new training method as something that would lead to less injuries and better agility.

Every strength coach in the country "looks and acts tough" on the sidelines.

What I'm pointing out is people are quick to call the new thing great while bashing the old thing, when nothing exists in a vacuum.

At the time, Edinger's approach to resistance and flexibility training was going to help team speed and "Orange is the New Fast" was going to be revolutionary for the program.

It's okay to be optimistic but people are so quick to throw everyone and anyone under the bus.
He did a great job with those twitch muscles with all those false start penalties!

Yup. I'm pretty sure that Dino referred to Edinger's philosophy as the "special sauce" that would help drive the Orange is the New Fast approach. Flexibility, agility, AND conditioning would allow them to play at a pace other teams would struggle to match. It worked for them at EI and BG. Teams in the ACC quickly adapted.

Yup. I'm pretty sure that Dino referred to Edinger's philosophy as the "special sauce" that would help drive the Orange is the New Fast approach. Flexibility, agility, AND conditioning would allow them to play at a pace other teams would struggle to match. It worked for them at EI and BG. Teams in the ACC quickly adapted.
and i think this sums it up perfectly. he thought the same fast strategy that worked at EI and BG was going to work in ACC with much bigger and faster athletes. The advantage of the secret sauce was nullified by better athletes in the conference and we didnt have them across the entire 2 deep roster.

and i think this sums it up perfectly. he thought the same fast strategy that worked at EI and BG was going to work in ACC with much bigger and faster athletes. The advantage of the secret sauce was nullified by better athletes in the conference and we didnt have them across the entire 2 deep roster.
And defenses found ways to mitigate the tempo advantage and there was a rule change that further eroded the advantage.

People bought into him because of the style of training. I remember a few on here at the time that vouched for this new training method as something that would lead to less injuries and better agility.

Every strength coach in the country "looks and acts tough" on the sidelines.
FIRE WILL HICKS

Are we now required to always have a coach or player with the name Schaefer?

Interesting that Fran is coaching the CB's and Schaefer the Safeties. I know Fran was working with them a bit but not sure I knew that it was pretty much spelled out clearly like that. Schaefer seems like a good hire. This group could impress this year. Some new pieces obviously but if our guys stay healthy this group could really grow up fast and impress this year with Fran coaching these young Corners. I think they have a shot to be great as a group.

McDonald - I thought we were working pretty hard before but since he's come in we've really upped things and I think just the work ethic and what's demanded of us the standard it keeps rising everyday

Last edited:
From Matthew Hawn, 2025 committ:

“That was kind of another reason because I've been to a lot of practices and Syracuse was without a doubt the most intense. Especially since the last staff. I went to some practices with the old staff and the new staff is just really intense, really focused and you can tell they're really in it to win it.”

That's not exactly what happened. They changed the substitution rules so that going fast because harder to do. The offense is required to wait. It worked so well in the beginning that teams resorted to faking injuries to stop the game flow. So they changed the rules for the big boy schools.

That's not exactly what happened. They changed the substitution rules so that going fast because harder to do. The offense is required to wait. It worked so well in the beginning that teams resorted to faking injuries to stop the game flow. So they changed the rules for the big boy schools.
I think I remember Nick Saban crying about no huddle saying it wasn’t fair lol

yeah its fine to go fast if you are losing late as a big boy team, but don't make us do it the whole game.

Don't understand the Edinger bashing either. Most were calling what he was doing revolutionary when he started here. We don't have to do this with everyone just because it started to go stale towards the end.
Didn’t he used to be your avatar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom