2024 SyracuseFan Fantasy Baseball | Syracusefan.com

2024 SyracuseFan Fantasy Baseball

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
As its the more traditional opening day to the season, figured it would make sense to start a new thread.

Some discussion for this year was in the 2023 Thread

My team is already in a pickle ( self inflicted as I purposely drafted 2 players who I knew would be out for a while, and then added Devin Williams with the intention of placing him on the IL,. I also drafted a few guys who were touch and go for opening day. Of course new injuries came up, one injury was worse than expected, and that was the risk I took, so it's not really bad luck

Anyway here are the 7 names that I have that are injured -- only 4 spots on the injured list. I have no concern riding it out through end of April as well, but will also listen to any fiar trade offers... (i.e. better than someone I can just add to my roster as a free agent).

Closer - Jordan Romano (Short term injury, should be back by mid April)
Closer - Paul Sewald (shoud be back by mid April)
Closer - Devin Williams (expected back by end of June)
SP - Justin Verlander (expected to be back by end of April)
SP - Kodai Senga (expected back by mid-May end of May)
SP - Gavin Williams (expected back within a few week.
2B - Matt Mclain (on 60 day DL. could be out for 3 or 3+ months)

A 1 for 1 trade is always possible - I can always switch injured players on my team from active to bench. You could then add the player you acquire from me on your IL, and then add a player from the Free Afent list).

I was sort of surprised a few days ago when I saw that Marcus Stroman was available, given that I suspect there are multiple Yankees fans in this league. Maybe their isn't. Stroman was the highest % rostered player available at 76%.

I decided I couldn't carry 3 injured players on my active roster, especially over an 11 day week.
Decided to pick up Stroman, and cut bait on Gavin Williams from Cleveland, who appears to be out for another month.

I hated cutting Gavin Williams - saw him pitch live in Toronto and was so impressed. I think he will probably break out this year - Cleveland seems to have a knack for finding a new young starter every year.

Would love to pick him up once my other injuries settle down, but I suspect someone will hoard him on the IL before I get a chance.

My bats are cold to start, took a flyer on Severino based on his spring performance and he was shelled

Let me know if anyone is interested in Jackson Holliday. Love to continue to stash him but with the shortened benches I can’t keep two guys around who are in minors (Ruiz? I mean what the heck are the A’s doing)

Let me know if anyone is interested in Jackson Holliday. Love to continue to stash him but with the shortened benches I can’t keep two guys around who are in minors (Ruiz? I mean what the heck are the A’s doing)

I would have been open to stashing Holliday, if I had zero stashes, but I already have 2 spots on my active roster for IL players.

Good luck in moving him. He's a good player, more promising than the FA's, but its probably hard to trade away a stash. I got no bites on my request above.

I was just looking through some roster stuff this morning.

Why the heck did the A's demote Ruiz?
Unless its something related to attitude, why would they do that ... how can they not find him playing time when he had a good start.

I was just looking through some roster stuff this morning.

Why the heck did the A's demote Ruiz?
Unless it’s something related to attitude, why would they do that ... how can they not find him playing time when he had a good start.
It has to be attitude. He played well in his two starts but played poorly in training camp. I drafted him higher than his overall worth so I can ‘steal’ steals category but I can’t keep him around if they are going to treat him as an AAAA player.

I picked up Gavin Williams solely on your trained eye and his mound work starting this week.

Shane Bieber starts the year 2-0, 0.00 ERA, 20K's in 12 innings.
Tommy John Surgery just announced this morning seemingly out of nowhere.

Sort of feels like the Matt Mclain injury that was a short-term one or two week issue, that now is 3 months+.

Part of the fun is dealing with it, and trying to find some other guys (but still whining a bit)

Shane Bieber starts the year 2-0, 0.00 ERA, 20K's in 12 innings.
Tommy John Surgery just announced this morning seemingly out of nowhere.

Sort of feels like the Matt Mclain injury that was a short-term one or two week issue, that now is 3 months+.

Part of the fun is dealing with it, and trying to find some other guys (but still whining a bit)
Looks like Spencer Strider may be down for the count as well.

Thing is, we all have injuries. With only ten teams in our league, there are at least decent replacements out there.

Looks like Spencer Strider may be down for the count as well.

Thing is, we all have injuries. With only ten teams in our league, there are at least decent replacements out there.

The bigger issue as a baseball fan and not related to fantasy - is the increase in injuries to pitchers that apparently is happening... theories about the pitch clock or the lack of any sticky stuff are out there quite a bit whether valid or not.

Was hoping my waiver claim for Cole Ragans would work, but at #10 in priority I wasn't holding out much hope.

Pitchers are unpredictable so the Ragans-Gil might work for Steve too.

Was hoping my waiver claim for Cole Ragans would work, but at #10 in priority I wasn't holding out much hope.

Pitchers are unpredictable so the Ragans-Gil might work for Steve too.
I claimed Gil for one reason, and for once it worked. I felt I needed to win the strikeouts category last week. Without him, I wouldn't have...

I’m horrible. Long season. Need a players only meeting.

I guess Gavin Williams didn't work out for you either. His timeline just gets worse and worse.

I suspect Holliday will figure it out soon after this brutal start.

It's pretty amazing how a group of players from different teams all go into slumps at the same time.

Don't lose hope--it happens to every team at some point in the season.
Yup. My bats are ice cold this week.

Also have 6 quality starts but only two wins, so my staff is not getting support from their teams this week.

Add to this a bunch of IL10 of impact guys, and things are dicey early.

Thankfully it's only April.

In the last week I have had 2 players on paternity leave, and one player on bereavement leave.

Baseball is no longer a real man's game. So unhealthy.
Back in the old days they would pass out some cigars, take some greenies, get drunk after the game with teammates and hook up with someone to celebrate. Real men.

Last edited:
Well at least I got about 30 straight games from Mike Trout to start the season. And where he lead the led the league in HR's with 10. Probably better than one should expect.

I can't really complain when he got announced as injured today (knee surgery) - that's the risk.