2024 Transfer Thread | Syracusefan.com

2024 Transfer Thread

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
And so it begins …

“Honorable mention USILA All-Americans and Second Team All-Ivy selections Sam English (midfield), Jake Stevens (midfield) and Beau Pederson (SSDM) headline the group, along with a pair of All-Ivy HM selections in attackman Alex Slusher and midfielder Alex Vardaro.”

And so it begins …

“Honorable mention USILA All-Americans and Second Team All-Ivy selections Sam English (midfield), Jake Stevens (midfield) and Beau Pederson (SSDM) headline the group, along with a pair of All-Ivy HM selections in attackman Alex Slusher and midfielder Alex Vardaro.”

Covid fallout:

Unable to compete in the orange and black beyond this year due to the University's strict eight-semester policy, the Tigers' veterans will finish their Princeton careers this spring and graduate in May 2023 with one or two years of eligibility remaining. The University does not allow students to withdraw for a single semester and then return in the spring, unlike some of the Tigers' Ivy League counterparts.

Covid fallout:

Unable to compete in the orange and black beyond this year due to the University's strict eight-semester policy, the Tigers' veterans will finish their Princeton careers this spring and graduate in May 2023 with one or two years of eligibility remaining. The University does not allow students to withdraw for a single semester and then return in the spring, unlike some of the Tigers' Ivy League counterparts.

Yes. Strange that some Ivy League schools can figure this out but others can’t. Penn and Cornell both had a bunch of players unenroll this fall to maintain their eligibility. The whole thing just seems silly. Let the kids play at the school they want to play at without all the hoops to jump through.

From an SU perspective, Pat March must have recruited a bunch of these kids. It’s a long shot but it’s one connection that’s better than nothing. English and Stevens went to Culver so maybe you get an Alex Simmons situation.

Push comes to shove I’m guessing the usual suspects are in play (ACC teams besides SU, Maryland, Georgetown). English has brothers at Hopkins and UNC but I don’t know any other obvious leads.

jake stevens is the last of a dying breed of true two-way middies. he's all over the field and plays in all situations. offense, defense, transition, faceoff wings, even EMO. closest thing we've seen to a zach currier or ryan conrad. his GB numbers are insane. whoever gets him will be getting an enormous impact player.

english and slusher ain't so bad either. both very good players

Last edited:
Yes. Strange that some Ivy League schools can figure this out but others can’t.

Who says they haven’t “figured it out?” This is a conscious decision whether one agrees with it or not.

Interesting note on the March recruiting connection.

77C6F281-502A-46AE-B808-621C4F4D3560.jpeg

Sounds like Sam Handley might indeed enter the portal. Was always confused that most people pegged him to enter the PLL after this season. Perhaps the threat of Penn not making the tournament has him rethinking things. Would obviously be a tremendously coveted player.

Sounds like Sam Handley might indeed enter the portal. Was always confused that most people pegged him to enter the PLL after this season. Perhaps the threat of Penn not making the tournament has him rethinking things. Would obviously be a tremendously coveted player.

Will probably go to UVA

or Duke

Two Penn players have gone to Duke recently for their post grad years. I think Duke has a special one year program for business majors that make it very appealing. They don't lose much next year either.

nyclax posted last offseason that he might go to Notre Dame or Maryland. Things definintly could change but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Maryland. They will be stacked next year if the expected players all come back. On paper I believe they only lose Makar, Long, Geppert, Brennan and Lacey. That's not nothing it's also not a ton compared to other teams. Plus they get McAnaney and Malever back from injury. The only thing they are perhaps missing is the Alpha on offense which is a role Handley would certainly fill. Plus he would get to play with fellow Oregonian Zappitello.

Two Penn players have gone to Duke recently for their post grad years. I think Duke has a special one year program for business majors that make it very appealing. They don't lose much next year either.

nyclax posted last offseason that he might go to Notre Dame or Maryland. Things definintly could change but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Maryland. They will be stacked next year if the expected players all come back. On paper I believe they only lose Makar, Long, Geppert, Brennan and Lacey. That's not nothing it's also not a ton compared to other teams. Plus they get McAnaney and Malever back from injury. The only thing they are perhaps missing is the Alpha on offense which is a role Handley would certainly fill. Plus he would get to play with fellow Oregonian Zappitello.

Makar is a massive loss, probably top cover guy in the country. I know Maryland has a ton of depth but certain guys just can't be replaced year to year.

It's interesting that in the ACC ND and Duke both bring back a lot, however, UVA actually loses a lot to graduation and UNC loses pretty much every transfer they brought in. The mass exodus is the following year when ND and Duke and UVA all lose an S ton to graduation.

Last edited:

Brennan should be back for his covid year like Maltz, next year. Brennan actually even has another year of eligibility beyond that as he red-shirted 2020 due to complications from covid.

Maryland does have all the regulars back on offense next year, except Long, and gets Malever back. Another player who has been out is UMd's top ranked offensive recruit: Aiden Aitken. With more good offensive recruits showing up: Stobaugh, Gravino, and McPherson, it is hard to see Tillman going after many offensive transfers, unless it is an "alpha" type guy like Handley.

On the other hand, Maryland doesn't get a lot of 5th year transfers from the Ivy League. You will immediately mention Donville, but Donville was interested in Journalism, which isn't the usual case. Handley is a business major, so I'd be thinking UNC, UVa, or something like that.

And so it begins …

Makar is a massive loss, probably top cover guy in the country. I know Maryland has a ton of depth but certain guys just can't be replaced year to year.

It's interesting that in the ACC ND and Duke both bring back a lot, however, UVA actually loses a lot to graduation and UNC loses pretty much every transfer they brought in. The mass exodus is the following year when ND and Duke and UVA all lose an S ton to graduation.
makar is getting beat a decent amount this year. zappitello is a better cover guy. they'll be able to survive the loss of makar i'd say

regarding the princeton seniors mentioned above, have heard they were looking at the usual mix of accs and big tens prior to the start of the season but all has gone quiet since then

makar is getting beat a decent amount this year. zappitello is a better cover guy. they'll be able to survive the loss of makar i'd say

regarding the princeton seniors mentioned above, have heard they were looking at the usual mix of accs and big tens prior to the start of the season but all has gone quiet since then

Zappaitello is really good as well but Makar is drawing every teams top attackmen ie Spallina, Kavanaugh, Schellenberger etc. Not surprising hes getting beat more then Zap.

Even the best get beat once in a while. He got beat for the game winner vs Notre Dame so it stood out. Like JC said he's covering every teams best player so gotta give credit sometimes to offensive guy. Even Revis Island got beat once in a while in his prime. It happens but when it's just once in a while that means that player is damn good. Most of the time Maker is shutting down whoever he's covering. Guys on here are rough on defensive players not realizing there gonna get beat once in a while. Teams will score goals. The good ones only get beat once in a while. Sometimes ur covering a guy as tight as u possibly can and he just makes a ridiculous play. Some guys on offense are extremely talented too. I'll take Maker any day as my top cover guy.

Zappaitello is really good as well but Makar is drawing every teams top attackmen ie Spallina, Kavanaugh, Schellenberger etc. Not surprising hes getting beat more then Zap.
zap covered shellenberger

OK you got me on that one but 8 or 9 times out of 10 he's taking the top attackmen. I mean like I said Zap is really good but I'd take Makar if I had to choose.

Didn't he do that to him last yr too? He's got Shelly's number man. I mean both Zap and Maker are nasty. Two of the best and being on the same team is why Maryland is so tough to beat. Of course they have another young top goalie. That kid is impressive.

Makar covered Xander Dickson.

Makar has been outstanding. The Terps will miss him next year. The Terps have two good long sticks in Schaller and Larkin looking to step in for Makar and Geppert (LSM), so the defense should do well. That being said, I"m not sure what the depth in long sticks will be behind the regulars. Tillman could be looking around for a experience d-man transfer.

Over on FanLax it sounds like McGovern has an extra year of eligibility, which would be a big boon for them since he’s had such a good season. He plays the same lefty attack role that Dom Petro plays. Insert Dumb and Dumber “so your saying there’s a chance” meme.

Over on FanLax it sounds like McGovern has an extra year of eligibility, which would be a big boon for them since he’s had such a good season. He plays the same lefty attack role that Dom Petro plays. Insert Dumb and Dumber “so your saying there’s a chance” meme.
i know you're mostly kidding but in a serious way there's a better chance petro is unc's d coordinator next year. tierney at hofstra isnt going to be there forever and if/when that happens it's unterstein's job to lose. and then petro becomes the obvious candidate to replace unterstein

dom would have that same problem at cuse with hiltz on the left side. they are both wing dodgers too