25 of 29----This cannot continue.... | Syracusefan.com

25 of 29----This cannot continue....

Pyle

All Conference
I just saw a Brent Axe article that said we ran on 25 of 29 first downs against Clemson. We ran the ball 86% of the time on first down. Why not just tell the opposing DC what you're going to do? I'd almost rather be 'multiple' right now.

I just saw a Brent Axe article that said we ran on 25 of 29 first downs against Clemson. We ran the ball 86% of the time on first down. Why not just tell the opposing DC what you're going to do? I'd almost rather be 'multiple' right now.
they might be starting hunt but they still don't believe in him at all

if their lack of confidence was about the WR, there's no way they would've started allen over hunt because there can't be any doubt that hunt would give them more on the ground.

Now if we had made 29 first downs, what's the problem??? But you are right--what did they do, find one of P.P.'s old playbooks in a forgotten locker or something?

Well, we might have run becasue nobody could get open.

When your 2 starting wide outs who play 85% of the snaps can't get open, and catch 0 passes, you run on first down. Its time either Kobena, or West step up and make some plays or find a seat on the bench.

I don't really have a problem running the ball that number of times on first down. I do however have a problem running the same play on first down. There is a big difference. Would be interesting to see Baylor and Oregon's percentage of runs on first down. If you have speed on the team in Brisley and a receiver who can't catch but is elusive in Broyld then why not run more motion misdirection.

well the first 4 first downs were 2 runs 2 passes then we ran for 17 and 66 for our first score
then we went run, pass. so we started 5 runs and 3 passes and were down 35-7

then we went pass, rush , rush score..

then pass , pass, pass, rush rush so the stats are not correct .

thats 6 passes in first down and 9 rushes the first 15 times..

if they want to count Hunt scrambles as rushing it skews the numbers.

and does it really matter what happened when Allen came in the 4th the play calling was not the same anyway.

I don't really have a problem running the ball that number of times on first down. I do however have a problem running the same play on first down. There is a big difference. Would be interesting to see Baylor and Oregon's percentage of runs on first down. If you have speed on the team in Brisley and a receiver who can't catch but is elusive in Broyld then why not run more motion misdirection.

Where do you get his stuff about Broyld? He doesn't drop any more than anyone else. Look at his stats this year. He is the only receiver that has shown up in every game. He might very well wind up as the all time pass catcher in SU history.

Where do you get his stuff about Broyld? He doesn't drop any more than anyone else. Look at his stats this year. He is the only receiver that has shown up in every game. He might very well wind up as the all time pass catcher in SU history.

As athletic as he is it doesn't come as natural. Don't get me wrong, he has improved tremendously. There was a slant against Clemson where he nicely walled off the d back and made the catch. You're right though about the drops. Maybe I just expect more but should realize this is a kid who has really never played receiver before. And on top of that like most New York State kids has not played as much football as their southern counterparts. Even lemon had some drops and that kid caught almost everything. I will retract my statement. I would though like to see him get the ball more on direct hand offs or shovel passes.

Are you guys inferring that the fact that the WRs could not get open on obvious passing downs is why they never threw the ball on 1st down? Cant disagree with that logic more.

8 men in the box...1st down...is your best chance to get guys open. But they ran every time. Then they threw on 2nd and long when every single person in the building was expecting it. Lot easier to get open receivers if the DBs are looking into the backfield on a running down

if their lack of confidence was about the WR, there's no way they would've started allen over hunt because there can't be any doubt that hunt would give them more on the ground.

Maybe their lack of confidence about WR wasn't there in the beginning, because we were doing ok against our own DBs. Then came the season.

Did Clemson even play any zone coverage? Seemed like all I saw was man to man and it looked like a 50 year old guy trying to run a route against Deion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

Please tell me that's the infamous Millhouse sense of humor at work and you don't believe that.

I don't claim to be a real knowledgeable fan but even I could tell you what we were going to run pretty much on each down. If I can do it, somebody who really knows football sure can. Only thing I can think is that our coaches are hoping we will fool the opponent because they will think nobody would ever be that predictable.

The problem is not that we run so much but it's always the same guy on the same play. With one back, there's no versatility.

Now if we had made 29 first downs, what's the problem??? But you are right--what did they do, find one of P.P.'s old playbooks in a forgotten locker or something?

That's more like Frank Maloney's playbook. At least P ran a sweep or two and had QB's who could run. Maloney's RB's ran into piles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom