26th in yards per game, 83rd in yards per play | Syracusefan.com

26th in yards per game, 83rd in yards per play

Millhouse

Living Legend
it's not just that we run a lot of plays although that helps a lot

we've gotten 11 first downs from penalties, 2nd in the country. still high if you throw out central conn (8 first downs, 4th in the country)

pace must have a lot to do with that.

problem is we're near the bottom in first downs because of penalty on defense.

to be ranked 69 in rushing yards per attempt (NIIIICE) with 2 70+ yard runs (first in the country), just goes to show how bad every other carry has been

Stats don't lie, but liars stat...oh, nope, wrong saying. ;) Anyway, you could have sugar coated that rushing stats a little. If the ground game improves to slightly above average, the passing game will explode. The kids are so close to busting this offense wide open, the anticipation is killing me.

As noted in another thread, the lineup is mostly Freshmen and Sophomores, which bodes well for the future.

it's not just that we run a lot of plays although that helps a lot

we've gotten 11 first downs from penalties, 2nd in the country. still high if you throw out central conn (8 first downs, 4th in the country)

pace must have a lot to do with that.

problem is we're near the bottom in first downs because of penalty on defense.

to be ranked 69 in rushing yards per attempt (NIIIICE) with 2 70+ yard runs (first in the country), just goes to show how bad every other carry has been

Still lacking that 2nd year efficiency bump. (Though that 3rd Q was bonkers. 12.8 yards per play)

And that MTSU game is killing our avg:

Central Conn: 6.3
MTSU: 3.31
CMU: 7.33

I don't think the run game will break through this year. Just too young, weak, and inexperienced in the middle and in the next 9 games, we play 4 out of the 5 best dlines in college football. Oh yeah and the front 4 for LSU and BC aren't jokes either.

ND ran for 500 last week against BC, hopefully we can get to 200

we need to be closer to Miss st 285 than BYU -5 was againt LSU

I don't think the run game will break through this year. Just too young, weak, and inexperienced in the middle and in the next 9 games, we play 4 out of the 5 best dlines in college football. Oh yeah and the front 4 for LSU and BC aren't jokes either.
Well, BC is a joke though.

Stats don't lie, but liars stat...oh, nope, wrong saying. ;) Anyway, you could have sugar coated that rushing stats a little. If the ground game improves to slightly above average, the passing game will explode. The kids are so close to busting this offense wide open, the anticipation is killing me.

As noted in another thread, the lineup is mostly Freshmen and Sophomores, which bodes well for the future.
i agree with you but i am pessimistic about the ground game improving to slightly above average.

i don't want to rag on strickland too much but he needs to get better fast or take a seat

i agree with you but i am pessimistic about the ground game improving to slightly above average.

i don't want to rag on strickland too much but he needs to get better fast or take a seat

I'd have to go back to confirm, but I think we did move away from him quite a bit in the 2nd half.

I still think my favorite play of the game was his 40 yard TD run that was called back. When he got to the line he lowered his head and almost went down because that's what always happens. When no one was there to tackle him he almost fell over.

I'd have to go back to confirm, but I think we did move away from him quite a bit in the 2nd half.

I still think my favorite play of the game was his 40 yard TD run that was called back. When he got to the line he lowered his head and almost went down because that's what always happens. When no one was there to tackle him he almost fell over.

I liked the play in the 2nd half when he ran straight into a massive pile, yet could've just sauntered 2 steps to his right and run forever. I believe he lacks what a former President called "the vision thing".

Stats don't lie, but liars stat...oh, nope, wrong saying. ;) ...

On the offensive side, there are true freshmen and true sophs on the depth chart, mostly on the 2s, and it might be too soon to say much. The best skill players are two seniors (Phillips & Ishmael), and the next group of significant contributors ( Dungey, Strickland, Pierce) are juniors. The starting OTs are a true junior and a 5th year. So, we have upperclassmen in key roles. The exceptions are little guys (Neal & Riley) who are change of pace players, Butler at a wide-out spot (but not putting up a lot of stats), and the second year interior linemen.

We have yet to see much of the other sophs & true frosh, other than Elmore, who has been impressive as a blocking back.

It is too soon to say much about the two Johnsons, or Pierre. Altogether, I wonder if this isn't a little short of what we expected?

On the offensive side, there are true freshmen and true sophs on the depth chart, mostly on the 2s, and it might be too soon to say much. The best skill players are two seniors (Phillips & Ishmael), and the next group of significant contributors ( Dungey, Strickland, Pierce) are juniors. The starting OTs are a true junior and a 5th year. So, we have upperclassmen in key roles. The exceptions are little guys (Neal & Riley) who are change of pace players, Butler at a wide-out spot (but not putting up a lot of stats), and the second year interior linemen.

We have yet to see much of the other sophs & true frosh, other than Elmore, who has been impressive as a blocking back.

It is too soon to say much about the two Johnsons, or Pierre. Altogether, I wonder if this isn't a little short of what we expected?

No way. I thought MP would get the starting RB job eventually, Nykiem Johnson in the slot would see some snaps, and Kingsley Jonathan would get some run at DE - that's basically what's happened minus MP (still time).

Our best recruit is RS and for good reason.

If they are not living up to projections yet it's because we always assume the they'll be better than they are. Rinse, repeat.

If they are not living up to projections yet it's because we always assume the they'll be better than they are. Rinse, repeat.

We are loyal fans, it is our duty to assume our recruits are the best. Seriously, often, we forget these are kids and they will mature. They were big fishes in little ponds. Now they are little fishes in big lakes.

We are loyal fans, it is our duty to assume our recruits are the best. Seriously, often, we forget these are kids and they will mature. They were big fishes in little ponds. Now they are little fishes in big lakes.

For sure. I def don't think there is anything wrong with that.

But it's not on the kid if they don't meet our weird expectations right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom