2nd Annual Orangeyes Open Recap, OrangeTown Style | Syracusefan.com

2nd Annual Orangeyes Open Recap, OrangeTown Style

OrangeTown

Starter
Oh where to begin...

I was looking forward to this day for a long time. After meeting so many great people last year both at the Villanova game and tailgate and the day after at the 1st Orangeyes Open, I couldn't wait to meet both ones I had already met, and new ones too. I knew that with more time to plan that everyone involved in the planning would make this an even better tribute to Dan. And when I found out CuseTroop (Adam) wasn't going to be in town this year to make it to be on my team again, I knew it was going to be a great time.

So, the original arrangement was to be me, JackBauer (Justin), DCCuse (Rick), and Marsh (Wanker). I will let you guess which of those losers wasn't able to make it. Oh, by the way- Wanker, since you couldn't make it, here's a picture we took for you... Wanker's spot was filled at the last second by Justin's friend Brian, who was an admirable golfer and, from what I hear, a much better tennis player than Justin.

open

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7syLCWoQvzWFltSno0VzlQd1E

Also, before I go any further, I feel obligated to say this... I took one look at Justin and knew he was a better golfer than Adam. However, based on my experience with Adam last year, I knew that before taking one look at Justin. Was it the lack of sandals and tank top that gave it away? Was it the fact that one asked what a tee is for and one didn't? I don't know. The only question that remained was which one was the better drinker? I can tell you this much - neither one made an attempt to hide the 60 gallon cooler they plopped in their golf cart.

On to the golf. There's not much to say about the golf other than Rick used an excuse that he had to leave right after golf to go do some girly things, so he couldn't drink too much. Look, Rick - if you're afraid of a few young bucks showing you up on the booze front, you need a better excuse than that. Now that I think of it, there are a few things to say about the golf...

The beer cart girls were great. They were way friendlier than last year, but I attribute that to one of two facts: 1- they felt bad for the guy in my group that spent 5 minutes every hole picking up all the broken tees off the tee box and putting them in the trash, or 2- Adam wasn't with me this year. Regardless, the Fireball was flowing, and there were many special deliveries made for Justin and Brian.

Regarding the actual golf played, we were absolutely mediocre. So mediocre in fact, that with 3 holes to play, justin informs the team that he will shotgun a beer for every birdie the team gets from there on out. None of us felt he actually wanted to, until he himself steps up and bangs home a 30 footer for birdie on that same hole. We get to the next tee box, and here is the video evidence (warning - amateur shotgunner on film):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7syLCWoQvzMWNISVR2MVo0Vlk

Other than that, the majority of what I had to hear was Justin's insisting that he was going to be the winner of the court side basketball seats that Joyce again so generously donated. I told him I won them last year and it is an experience that words cannot describe. I swear he was obsessed with it. I also told him due to the fact that I got to experience them last year, and how much I appreciate all his contributions to the board, that I wanted him to win them so I wouldn't be bidding on them. So, we get into the clubhouse and Justin and one other guy are taking turns going up and writing down bids. I could feel the tension. Justin's giving the other guy the stink eye and making sure he knows he's watching him. Justin even went so far as to walk up and pretend to write a bid down just to mess with the other guy. So what happens? Naturally, Justin gets distracted talking to someone and doesn't realize the other guy placed a last bid.

And finally, onto a more serious note, I had the honor of spending what must have been at least an hour after dinner chatting with numerous members of Dan's family. Brian was great as always, somehow finding the time to share a few words and stories despite how busy he was running things. I feel absolutely horrible that I don't remember Dan's wife's name, but she is an absolute sweetheart. Her love of Dan and her family was apparent with every story she told, and there were many. Their daughter Kelly chatted with me for a long while. Much longer than any good looking woman would normally ever spend in my presence. Regardless, I was grateful. I also spent a lot of time talking with extended family and friends, some of whom I found out are good friends with some of my extended family. What a small world. And as always, Tomcat was there. What more can be said about him other than he's obviously a great friend and a great guy?

Finally, it was obvious that the wait staff wanted to get the heck out of there, so I said my farewells and hit the road for the trip home. It was simply a fantastic time and I cannot urge all of you enough to do whatever you can to try to partake next year. A memorial for a great man, a charity for a great cause, and the opportunity to meet tons of great people. It's a no brainer.

Lastly, a couple closing remarks:

- I apologize if I forgot any people or forgot names. The sheer number of people I met in conjunction with the alcohol made my already bad ability to remember names even worse. I am also not gifted with Tomcat's photographic memory.

- I apologize if this formatting came out bad or my links don't work, as I did this all on my iPhone. I will edit as needed.

- Wanker, you know we love you.

- Vanessa, don't forget what I told you!!!

Last edited:
Dan's wife is Diane. A truly lovely person. As are his children Kelly and Brian. I'm sorry I missed the event ... but I have to be in upstate NY both this weekend and the following weekend... and I couldn't make the trip three weekends in a row. And... so who got my tickets? You said you were going to "buy" them again this year.

Dan's wife is Diane. A truly lovely person. As are his children Kelly and Brian. I'm sorry I missed the event ... but I have to be in upstate NY both this weekend and the following weekend... and I couldn't make the trip three weekends in a row. And... so who got my tickets? You said you were going to "buy" them again this year.

Ah, thank you so much. I wont forget now.

Regarding your tickets, I am not sure who the gentleman who won them was. I decided to not bid on them because of how badly Justin wanted to win them. Otherwise, I assure you I would be enjoying them again. :)

Pretty well summarized. And I assure everyone the only thing mediocre about this event was our play. Believe me I wish I could have stayed longer, but it wasn't just a wedding... it was a wedding of one of my fraternity brothers and about a dozen other guys from the house who I hadn't seen in 10-20 years were there. I made up my share of drinking there believe me. It was great getting to hang out with you, Justin and Brian and glad that I could be there to support Dan's family & friends and honor him in a small way.

Oh and John, you and the guys laughed, but you know the greens crew @ Foxfire were thrilled that I played given how much less they had to do cleaning up after the tournament.

So much to comment on these posts...

Oh where to begin...

So, the original arrangement was to be me, JackBauer (Justin), DCCuse (Rick), and Marsh (Wanker). I will let you guess which of those losers wasn't able to make it. Oh, by the way- Wanker, since you couldn't make it, here's a picture we took for you... Wanker's spot was filled at the last second by Justin's friend Brian, who was an admirable golfer and, from what I hear, a much better tennis player than Justin.

open

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7syLCWoQvzWFltSno0VzlQd1E

Also, before I go any further, I feel obligated to say this... I took one look at Justin and knew he was a better golfer than Adam. However, based on my experience with Adam last year, I knew that before taking one look at Justin. Was it the lack of sandals and tank top that gave it away? Was it the fact that one asked what a tee is for and one didn't? I don't know. The only question that remained was which one was the better drinker? I can tell you this much - neither one made an attempt to hide the 60 gallon cooler they plopped in their golf cart.

Regarding the actual golf played, we were absolutely mediocre. So mediocre in fact, that with 3 holes to play, justin informs the team that he will shotgun a beer for every birdie the team gets from there on out. None of us felt he actually wanted to, until he himself steps up and bangs home a 30 footer for birdie on that same hole. We get to the next tee box, and here is the video evidence (warning - amateur shotgunner on film):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7syLCWoQvzMWNISVR2MVo0Vlk

Other than that, the majority of what I had to hear was Justin's insisting that he was going to be the winner of the court side basketball seats that Joyce again so generously donated. I told him I won them last year and it is an experience that words cannot describe. I swear he was obsessed with it. I also told him due to the fact that I got to experience them last year, and how much I appreciate all his contributions to the board, that I wanted him to win them so I wouldn't be bidding on them. So, we get into the clubhouse and Justin and one other guy are taking turns going up and writing down bids. I could feel the tension. Justin's giving the other guy the stink eye and making sure he knows he's watching him. Justin even went so far as to walk up and pretend to write a bid down just to mess with the other guy. So what happens? Naturally, Justin gets distracted talking to someone and doesn't realize the other guy placed a last bid.

I want to clarify that Brian has never and will never beat me in tennis. It has been a bagel every time I've played him and will always be. He slices everything. I'm 6'3 220 pounds. There is no finesse in my game. All power.

Joyce - I did everything in my power to win those tickets. If you're ever in the mindset to give two more away for a December game - I'm more than willing to donate more money to this charity. I may have cried a bit when I found out I had lost!

To end - I know I said it before, but I'll say it again. After everything that I went through with my tumor this year - being able to participate in this event was amazing. From Tom asking how I was feeling as soon as we got to chat, to people coming up and shaking my hand and taking the time out of their life to say how proud they were that I kicked that tumors butt - it was a very special day. I was so happy to meet everyone and get to know more about Dan, who I was not lucky enough to meet. I will be a regular at this event for years to come!

I'll PM you the gentleman's name who won your tix. Again, thank you so much for this donation. It is obviously our biggest draw and money maker for the charity. It is beyond generous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom