2ND STRING?? | Syracusefan.com

2ND STRING??

Babers, who said Tuesday that Reed’s athletic ability has shown in fall camp but that he still needs to expand his knowledge of the game...

Guess it makes sense considering how long he's been here and the fact he's playing the Center spot but was hoping he would be starting off on the first unit which would mean an upgrade on what we think we have already. Hoping he can pick everything up fast and step in soon if Ilaoa falters at all.

Last edited:
And hopefully Reed will get some significant PT in the first few games to learn the plays and so we can compare the two Centers productivity.

Is it still the RB that calls out the D or did Dino change it back to the center? If the center than I wouldn't be surprised, it'll take a while for Reed to win the position.

It’s reasonable to assume llaoa has improved with natural progression; age, knowledge and weight room. i don’t see this as a negative and Reed has ability based on Babers comment. we finally have some depth.

Last edited:

Sounds like Ilao has a lock on the C spot.
It is a real shame Reed was not allowed to matriculate at Syracuse for the spring semester.

I am not convinced Josh has won the job yet. Guessing Dino is going to play the top contenders for the open jobs on the OL the first couple of games and see who does the best.

Guys like More, Wohlabaugh and J Cruz will probably all get snaps at RT. I think Ilaoa and Reed will both play at center.

It is nice to have some promising options at the positions where there is not a clear starter established.

It is a real shame Reed was not allowed to matriculate at Syracuse for the spring semester.

I am not convinced Josh has won the job yet. Guessing Dino is going to play the top contenders for the open jobs on the OL the first couple of games and see who does the best.

Guys like More, Wohlabaugh and J Cruz will probably all get snaps at RT. I think Ilaoa and Reed will both play at center.

It is nice to have some promising options at the positions where there is not a clear starter established.
More depth has been a priority for babers and it’s showing. A lot of options is great!

It’s reasonable to assume llaoa has improved with natural progression; age, knowledge and weight room. i don’t see this as a negative and Reed has ability based on Babers comment. we finally have some depth.

Didn't Ilaoa start the bowl game and do pretty well?

I could be misremembering.

I also think that mastering the playbook has to be factored in. Reed has only had two weeks of actual practice time, so there's bound to be a learning curve.

We'll see where things stand by mid-to-late-September.

At minimum, quality depth inside.

Didn't Ilaoa start the bowl game and do pretty well?

I could be misremembering.
Josh's bio starts his only start last year was against Wake Forest.

I also think that mastering the playbook has to be factored in. Reed has only had two weeks of actual practice time, so there's bound to be a learning curve.

Exactly, we all are so anxious for Reed to be the guy but thanks to NCAA crap, it took a while for him to be able to enroll, give him time

I’m sure he has had that playbook for a bit now. Don’t ya think.

I’m sure he has had that playbook for a bit now. Don’t ya think.

There's a difference between looking at a diagram on a page, and having to perform your assignment when the pass rushe is live.