3 NFL Hall of Famers in same College Backfield | Syracusefan.com

3 NFL Hall of Famers in same College Backfield

cuse309

Ace recruiting beat reporter
Has there ever been a backfield in college football that had 3 future NFL hall of famers??? Assuming Couglin gets in, (and I believe he should) Syracuse can claim Jim Brown, Larry Csonka, and Tom Coughlin all in the same backfield, all in the Hall. Does anyone know if this has been accomplished? If it happens, what a great sports trivia question that most would not get. A bit of a trick question being that Coughlin would be elected as a coach, but nonetheless...

Well, Oklahoma State had Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas. That's about the closest I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure someone else has come close...

It's a little deceptive of course, since Coughlin, if he gets in, won't get in because of his playing days.

Well, Oklahoma State had Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas. That's about the closest I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure someone else has come close...

It's a little deceptive of course, since Coughlin, if he gets in, won't get in because of his playing days.
It's a fair question, with an honest answer.

upload_2015-1-8_17-25-27.jpeg

The U had a pretty loaded backfield in '01, with Portis, Gore and McGahee. Of course, none of them are HOFers yet...

Has there ever been a backfield in college football that had 3 future NFL hall of famers??? Assuming Couglin gets in, (and I believe he should) Syracuse can claim Jim Brown, Larry Csonka, and Tom Coughlin all in the same backfield, all in the Hall. Does anyone know if this has been accomplished? If it happens, what a great sports trivia question that most would not get. A bit of a trick question being that Coughlin would be elected as a coach, but nonetheless...
(You mean Floyd Little, not Jim Brown)

The U had a pretty loaded backfield in '01, with Portis, Gore and McGahee. Of course, none of them are HOFers yet...
Doubt any of them will be, either. Gore, maybe. Can't imagine Portis or McGahee ever getting in.

But that was loaded. Najeh Davenport was there too, wasn't he?

just looked it up. Gore, McGahee and Portis have combined for nearly 36,000 yards from scrimmage and 255 TDs in the NFL.

How about Rick Cassata, the QB, great CFL career! ( not!)

Hey, Rick was a pretty darn good QB.

If we had had him in 1968, we would have won two more games and gone bowling.

I love the comment Barry Switzer had when talking about Barry Sanders his freshman year. "Whatever you do, don’t hurt Thurman. You don’t want to play against this freshman back they have named Barry Sanders."

QB

5b1b04b7980b91255ea4aedcda25149d.jpg