30 for 30: Bill Walton | Syracusefan.com

30 for 30: Bill Walton

I saw the title in my directv guide.. But it never mentioned who it was about.

I still like these, but they aren't as good as when Simmons/Shell we're driving the originals.

I saw Bill Walton in person at the HoF induction for Duncan, KG and Kobe. He was so tall and looked every part of his age. But he still held court when people came up to him and was as bubbly as always.

He was a great player (closest thing to Joker in terms of a passing big as I can think of). No injuries, he is immortal and still is the best college player I ever saw - Alcindor was before my time.

That said he is now a character of himself, and seems to be merely playing a part.

I still like these, but they aren't as good as when Simmons/Shell we're driving the originals.

I saw Bill Walton in person at the HoF induction for Duncan, KG and Kobe. He was so tall and looked every part of his age. But he still held court when people came up to him and was as bubbly as always.
I don’t understand why some of them are easily available to watch and some are not.

Like, the last time I wanted to see the Fab Five one I couldn’t find it. Why?

I don’t understand why some of them are easily available to watch and some are not.

I think they play them once on ESPN for the premier... and then go to ESPN+. I set the DVR for the American Gladiators one last week... ended up not being that great imo.

I think they play them once on ESPN for the premier... and then go to ESPN+. I set the DVR for the American Gladiators one last week... ended up not being that great imo.
I don’t have Netflix now, but a lot of them used to be on there. But not all of them. Doesn’t make sense to me.

The Fab 5 and 89-90 Pistons ones were two of my favorites from the early days.

I don’t have Netflix now, but a lot of them used to be on there. But not all of them. Doesn’t make sense to me.

The Fab 5 and 89-90 Pistons ones were two of my favorites from the early days.
Ah gotcha. I still haven't cut the cable... yet.

Both of those were great.. loved the Fab 5.

I thought the fab five one wasn’t technically a 30 for 30?

I love Walton calling games and always knew he was a great.

I did not realize he was THAT great. I’d love to explore the depths of the human experience with him or something like that with him.

I was lucky enough to meet him around 20 years ago at a ESPN magazine party

Figured I would talk to him about the Grateful Dead instead of basketball. He seemed to appreciate that, and was very friendly

Thanks for the heads up. There is a Walton 30 X 30, but there is also a 4 part documentary that runs a total of around 4 hours, called "The Luckiest Guy in the World". I was a big fan of his through my high school and college years, and then early adulthood, when he won that 2nd NBA Title with the 1986 Celtics over Houston with Olajuwan and Ralph Sampson. What a series! And, oh my, what that poor guy has been through.

Here's a link. It's on ESPN+

it was a solid show.. He was crazy athletic back before he got dinged up.

it was a solid show.. He was crazy athletic back before he got dinged up.

For me, he had maybe the highest basketball IQ of all time.

And of course, 21-22 in the NCAA Championship game. No one will ever break that record. He only lost 4 games in 3 years of college. No big man ever was a better passer. He was a great shot blocker, and maybe the best outlet passer to start a fast break of all time.

At his best, which was only 2 1/2 years at UCLA, a little less than 2 years in Portland, and 1986 with the Celtics, he won 4 titles in 5 tries, and would have won a 2nd with Portland if he hadn't broken his foot in 1978 after they had started 50-10.

For me, he had maybe the highest basketball IQ of all time.

And of course, 21-22 in the NCAA Championship game. No one will ever break that record. He only lost 4 games in 3 years of college. No big man ever was a better passer. He was a great shot blocker, and maybe the best outlet passer to start a fast break of all time.

At his best, which was only 2 1/2 years at UCLA, a little less than 2 years in Portland, and 1986 with the Celtics, he won 4 titles in 5 tries, and would have won a 2nd with Portland if he hadn't broken his foot in 1978 after they had started 50-10.
IF he could have stayed healthy thru 78 his legacy would be totally changed. That team would have been on the list of most dominant teams ever and he was far and away their best player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom