4 on 5 caught up to us | Syracusefan.com

4 on 5 caught up to us

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
I think this is a big reason for the offensive drought in the 1H. SU dosn't run anything complicated and when you're playing 4 on 5 against an improved D team and a team with athletes it is going to make things tough. There is virtually nobody in the paint to command some attention from good teams on defense.

James really didn't have many good looks. One or two, imo. He forced some bad ones and turned it over a couple of times trying to dribble. I think the matchup finally came where we needed everything to go right for us to win and it didn't. This season, especially on offense, when the isolation or 1 on 1 plays aren't coming easy for SU they don't win. Fair had a good matchup but that was the only one out there which was an advantage for SU. Fair was awesome. It's a rout if he has just an ok game. I suppose we could've went back to trying to post up MCW, perhaps.

Hell of a season and coaching job by JB! Really looking forward to seeing Silent G, an improved DaJuan, and this Roberson in particular.

If Coleman can be what Rick Jackson was, we'd be in a lot better shape.

Grant will bring more offensively (and defensively) next year than Southerland did.

Our offense should be better next year, hopefully the defense can match this years.

Grant will bring more offensively (and defensively) next year than Southerland did.

Our offense should be better next year, hopefully the defense can match this years.
Come on. More offensively than James? JS was a threat to score 20+ every he stepped on the court and provided a deep threat. I love Grant but he is not going to be an offensive powerhouse next year. He will defend, rebound, and score inside (modestly).

Come on. More offensively than James? JS was a threat to score 20+ every he stepped on the court and provided a deep threat. I love Grant but he is not going to be an offensive powerhouse next year. He will defend, rebound, and score inside (modestly).

I get what you mean. However, against a good scheme James can become irrelevant. We weren't winning other matchups to get James opportunities last night.

Grant scored double figures in 4 of the 6 games in which Southerland was out. Southerland is an elite shooter, but that's all he is. Grant can score a number of different ways.

Grant scored double figures in 4 of the 6 games in which Southerland was out. Southerland is an elite shooter, but that's all he is. Grant can score a number of different ways.

Jerami Grant - 6 for 15 (40%) from three point line this year. He is capable from there. He won't be the threat Southerland was but he doesn't have to be because he can score in other ways. He will be efficient enough to force folks to guard him out there and that will open up the rest of his game. He will provide much more balance.

Grant may wind up being John Wallace-level. And Wallace's 3 pt. shot didn't really come to fruition until his senior year; nor was it needed, except for situations that required heroics.

The Center position MUST develop no question about it. We don't need a dominant post game, but we just a post presence to pass the ball into and have some confidence the center can score if he gets good position. We haven't passed to the center in the post since 2011. Rick Jackson was our last center who score with his back to the basket. Christmas, Keita, Melo haven't done squat in these last 2 years and that is why our offense struggled if the jump shots weren't falling. We lost yesterday because we had 2 long offensive dry spells and the offense couldn't get any easy buckets unless C.J. Fair dominated. Rak Christmas HAS TO improve if he ever wants to play in the NBA. Christmas won't be a center in the NBA he needs to work on his offensive games the coaches have to develop his talent or he will be another Terrance Roberts.

The Center position MUST develop no question about it. We don't need a dominant post game, but we just a post presence to pass the ball into and have some confidence the center can score if he gets good position. We haven't passed to the center in the post since 2011. Rick Jackson was our last center who score with his back to the basket. Christmas, Keita, Melo haven't done squat in these last 2 years and that is why our offense struggled if the jump shots weren't falling. We lost yesterday because we had 2 long offensive dry spells and the offense couldn't get any easy buckets unless C.J. Fair dominated. Rak Christmas HAS TO improve if he ever wants to play in the NBA. Christmas won't be a center in the NBA he needs to work on his offensive games the coaches have to develop his talent or he will be another Terrance Roberts.

Good post. You're insulting Roberts though. Rak isn't anywhere close to Roberts level and I know that's not saying a whole lot.

Grant may wind up being John Wallace-level. And Wallace's 3 pt. shot didn't really come to fruition until his senior year; nor was it needed, except for situations that required heroics.

I agree! unfortunately we may never see him at that level in a college uniform (I doubt he will ever see his senior year). Many forwards we want to annoint as the next great one are missing particular skill sets that we all hope they will develop over time (i.e. Kris Joesph was a poor / average rebounder and never showed much of an inside game). The fun thing about Grant is he has shown flashes of an overall complete game throughout his freshman year. With some maturation in terms of physical development and consistency of his game I do see him as being an absolute bear.

Grant can also create for others. Southerland can't. That in itself puts more pressure on the defense. Grant could become a dominating rebounder. I hope he works on his post moves so he can become a threat inside.

ooooooooooo.k.!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom