44 IS RESTORED | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

44 IS RESTORED

so...nobody cared to mention that Jim Brown was at the Cav game on tueday, that Lebron bowed to him before the tip and THAT is likely why JVG brought up #44 & Syracuse???
There is still no reason to bring up Syracuse & 44 in that situation unless JVG had an agenda. There is plenty to talk about JB and Cleveland without even bringing up SU at all, let alone the kerfuffle over 44.

why must everything be difficult

daryl gross is stupid. he screwed up. we fix it and jeff van gundy doesn't get it. oh well. good to great running backs wear 44. that's the tradition. let's keep doing that.
And that's the thing - no one gets it. ESPN is reporting that "Syracuse is un-retiring Jim Brown's number" and everyone just assumes that's what's happening. No one outside of the northeast, and mostly just CNY, gets that no, it's not "Jim Brown's" number. It's being viewed as a slap in Brown's face because people on the outside don't know about the tradition, and how it was foolishly abandoned by a new AD who had an equally minimal understanding.

That's why this whole thing is frustrating to me, anyway. I don't mind if people who understand the history are against un-retiring it. It's when people like JVG chime in who clearly don't get what 44 actually means to Syracuse that I get irritated.

There is still no reason to bring up Syracuse & 44 in that situation unless JVG had an agenda. There is plenty to talk about JB and Cleveland without even bringing up SU at all, let alone the kerfuffle over 44.
Van Gundy was raised just outside of Rochester and is an SU fan. He follows Syracuse athletics closely and is a fan of the Cuse! Which is why he knew all about the story and gave his opinion on it I am guessing.

And that's the thing - no one gets it. ESPN is reporting that "Syracuse is un-retiring Jim Brown's number" and everyone just assumes that's what's happening. No one outside of the northeast, and mostly just CNY, gets that no, it's not "Jim Brown's" number. It's being viewed as a slap in Brown's face because people on the outside don't know about the tradition, and how it was foolishly abandoned by a new AD who had an equally minimal understanding.

That's why this whole thing is frustrating to me, anyway. I don't mind if people who understand the history are against un-retiring it. It's when people like JVG chime in who clearly don't get what 44 actually means to Syracuse that I get irritated.
You are 100% right, but don't blame ESPN. Blame SU for not handling this correctly. They presented the world an unclear message and it was confusing to most and everyone including ESPN can't make heads or tails what is going on. Which is why every day SU stays quiet it makes this story worse and it keeps snowballing with bad press. And come September when games are on TV it will get worse as this topic will get debated by TV announcers during every game every week. It isn't going away! Syracuse needs to now get in front of this at this late stage and clear it up. Either retire it forever or say, ok this is the situation and clear it up once and for all. What they did those 48 hours made no friggin sense and confused most of the general population outside of Syracuse, NY.

You are 100% right, but don't blame ESPN. Blame SU for not handling this correctly. They presented the world an unclear message and it was confusing to most and everyone including ESPN can't make heads or tails what is going on. Which is why every day SU stays quiet it makes this story worse and it keeps snowballing with bad press. And come September when games are on TV it will get worse as this topic will get debated by TV announcers during every game every week. It isn't going away! Syracuse needs to now get in front of this at this late stage and clear it up. Either retire it forever or say, ok this is the situation and clear it up once and for all. What they did those 48 hours made no friggin sense and confused most of the general population outside of Syracuse, NY.

I agree. The fault with this entire situation lies with the SU AD. From retiring it unceremoniously in the first place, to unretiring it in a very confusing manner.

So it is restored then? Still unsure whether 44 can actually be worn on the field after the back pedaling we made after the announcement

Like for an incoming stud RB... like we'll have next year.
Was thinking the same thing... if only we had a RB committed that understood the history and reveled in the idea of trying to restore/carry on that tradition... Wonder where SU can find a guy like that?!?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom