6 Recruits From 6 States | Syracusefan.com

6 Recruits From 6 States

VirginiaOrange

2nd String
The staff is kicking butt by winning over solid recruits in geographical areas without a lot of traditional SU strength. A lot of theories thrown out here are being tested. One theory that is not is that having aggressive, enthusiastic coaches is the key to the whole thing. I love these guys.

The staff is kicking butt by winning over solid recruits in geographical areas without a lot of traditional SU strength. A lot of theories thrown out here are being tested. One theory that is not is that having aggressive, enthusiastic coaches is the key to the whole thing. I love these guys.
When the legacy of Doug Marrone is finally written, forcing Syracuse's hand to build an indoor practice facility may top the list of accomplishments, even ahead of returning the team to respectability on the field. That such a facility is on the immediate horizon, coupled with new, "college" coaches and open competition, seems to have brought about a resurgence in recruiting.
Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

When the legacy of Doug Marrone is finally written, forcing Syracuse's hand to build an indoor practice facility may top the list of accomplishments, even ahead of returning the team to respectability on the field. That such a facility is on the immediate horizon, coupled with new, "college" coaches and open competition, seems to have brought about a resurgence in recruiting.
While there may be some truth to that - the legacy of Marrone is turning the team around and then leaving before the job was done. Can't give him more than an ounce of credit for this year's recruiting resurgence. Shafer and his staff are kicking a** so far. I love the energy level, it is a total 180 from before. Give him credit for finding Shafer, that's about it. In the end I'm glad he was here and I'm glad he left - the program is far better off given both of those occurrences.

Some things are just hard for people to understand.

While there may be some truth to that - the legacy of Marrone is turning the team around and then leaving before the job was done. Can't give him more than an ounce of credit for this year's recruiting resurgence. Shafer and his staff are kicking a** so far. I love the energy level, it is a total 180 from before. Give him credit for finding Shafer, that's about it. In the end I'm glad he was here and I'm glad he left - the program is far better off given both of those occurrences.
While I agree that Marrone left before the job was done, the sting is wearing off for me... Marrone realized he wasn't built for the college game and all that it involved. I think Marrone was overwhelmed by trying so hard to bring the team back to respectibility and it stressed the guy to the max. I don't believe he was cut for the effort required and did the best job he could before realizing he didn't have the energy to keep it going. He then realized he needed to step aside and jumped at the first opportunity he could that wouldn't leave him completely hated by our fanbase... The guy jumped to the NFL, not a higher level college job for gods sake.. I do still hold a little disdain for the guy for poaching nearly all of the assistants. But what's to say the assistants all would have been kept?!?! Are we so sure that he didn't ask Shafer his intentions with the assistants and then acted accordingly?

It's interesting that a lot of what Shafer and staff are doing now (the use of social media, Shafer's reconnecting with former football alumni, the focus on the midwest for recruiting, etc.) wasn't acceptable under Marrone. Maybe Shafer was cutout for college football and Marrone realized he wasn't the best for this job, so he eliminated himself from the equation. Marrone took over this team at a really low point and his dealings on the field have left a renewed support of the team. He left the cupboard much more full than when he arrived.

I have no insider info to any of the above and all these statements are just my opinion. That said, I've turned the page and look forward to what Shafer and his staff can do. I have a sneaking suspicion that we may all be thanking Marrone for stepping aside when he did, five years from now.

Yeah... I don't really buy that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

While I agree that Marrone left before the job was done, the sting is wearing off for me... Marrone realized he wasn't built for the college game and all that it involved. I think Marrone was overwhelmed by trying so hard to bring the team back to respectibility and it stressed the guy to the max. I don't believe he was cut for the effort required and did the best job he could before realizing he didn't have the energy to keep it going. ...

Sounds like a nice rationalization... Only one problem... Being an NFL coach is a 7-day-a-week, 19-hour-a-day job...

If he didn't have enough time or energy here, he certainly won't in Buffalo (or at any NFL HC job...) He just went up the ladder in time and effort requirements as an HC...

Sounds like a nice rationalization... Only one problem... Being an NFL coach is a 7-day-a-week, 19-hour-a-day job...

If he didn't have enough time or energy here, he certainly won't in Buffalo (or at any NFL HC job...) He just went up the ladder in time and effort requirements as an HC...

In the NFL he can delegate a lot of tasks that he was hands on with in college. I think he'll be a lot better off not having to deal with the players off the field/outside the practice confines.

I think recruiting is what ultimately wore Marrone out. Not having comparable weapons to work with (see facilities, conference prestige at the time) are likely what wore him down. How frustrating would it be to love and believe in your school and consistently end up the bridesmaid for recruits for being honest when you know other schools are telling kids what they want to hear?

Hindsight is 20:20 but I lost my ability to be critical of him leaving when I was calling for he and Hackett to be canned when we started 2-4 last year. This is coming from a guy that's so optimistic it hurts re: all things Cuse football. I that point I wanted SS as head coach and although it didn't look like I thought it would, that's what I got. The only thing I wanted was to keep Wheatley but I love the staff we have in place now so what can you do?

Will be curious to see if he can somehow make Buffalo look like and NFL team once again.

college game must be 23 hour gig then

In the NFL he has an equal playing field with other teams. In college, he was always fighting an uphill battle.

College is 24/7 and maybe even harder. Recruiting, classroom, off field behavior and fund raising all crap he won't have to worry about now.

Marrone built the foundation.

Shafer will build the house.
I prefer to think of it as Ben built the foundation and the temple, and after a few years of neglect, Marrone solidified the foundation, and now HCSS will fill the temple with disciples and the gods they have been longing to worship.

I guess I will have to see how things pan out on the field, because right now, I really don't see much more difference in the quality of recruits we are getting. The only difference I see so far is the philosophy and approach, maybe it's just me, but the results seem to be about the same caliber.

I guess I will have to see how things pan out on the field, because right now, I really don't see much more difference in the quality of recruits we are getting. The only difference I see so far is the philosophy and approach, maybe it's just me, but the results seem to be about the same caliber.

Can't say I disagree. I dont know if youre wanting stars or not but we need some multi BCS offer kids to take the next step. Kids like Hollman, Ollison, Mavety, Williams etc. we know who they are

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom