93 78 78 85 83 75 84 93 | Syracusefan.com

93 78 78 85 83 75 84 93

We held them to 45 in our 1st game against them after joining the ACC. Ole Roy figured something out after that

We held them to 45 in our 1st game against them after joining the ACC. Ole Roy figured something out after that
Ole Roys teams typically dominate the paint, pass well, and rebound exceptionally on the O glass. That is Cuse Kryptonite trifecta right there and why we blow against them

Nah, that first game was an anomaly. That UNC tell was not good at all and specifically couldn't shoot. Our team that year was an exceptional rebounding team with Grant, Christmas, and Fair. It's the teams, not the coaches that have changed.

It's not about us. They are a great offensive team. They average 87 ppg. Only two teams to really shut them down were Virginia (great DF) and Louisville (on the road). Roy's recent teams can dismantle the zone, but they pretty roll everyone.

What's really frustrating to me is that everyone in the world knows that UNC likes to push all the time, especially on made baskets. We got beat back so many times last night for a variety of different reasons. Chukwu jogged back on one play, got beat over the top. All of our guards got beat at some point for not recognizing the other guard was deep in the offensive side.

This can't happen if we hope to beat this team. I'm sure JB, and all our coaches, is saying this in film session, practices, on the plane, etc., but we just never seem able to stop them. ARRGGHHGHGH

Battle and Howard consistently have no idea how to balance the floor and rotate back on defense. It’s just a lack of focus and being lazy and not playing hard. I’m tired of watching Battle whine about every lack of call, yet he has at least one push off every game. He’s 6’6” and has no post up game. I’m not sure what Howard does well except turn the ball over and act like a baby every time he loses the ball. They have no discipline and that’s on a JB.

Battle and Howard consistently have no idea how to balance the floor and rotate back on defense. It’s just a lack of focus and being lazy and not playing hard. I’m tired of watching Battle whine about every lack of call, yet he has at least one push off every game. He’s 6’6” and has no post up game. I’m not sure what Howard does well except turn the ball over and act like a baby every time he loses the ball. They have no discipline and that’s on a JB.

They are neither consistent nor decisive. Hughes, too. You see them put up a miss, dance around a little, unsure whether to follow the shot or get back on defense, and get caught in between the two. This has kind of flown under the radar, but I'd wager that there aren't too many Syracuse teams with so many guys who don't know how to rotate after a shot attempt.

What's really frustrating to me is that everyone in the world knows that UNC likes to push all the time, especially on made baskets. We got beat back so many times last night for a variety of different reasons. Chukwu jogged back on one play, got beat over the top. All of our guards got beat at some point for not recognizing the other guard was deep in the offensive side.

This can't happen if we hope to beat this team. I'm sure JB, and all our coaches, is saying this in film session, practices, on the plane, etc., but we just never seem able to stop them. ARRGGHHGHGH

Chukwu isn't fast enough to play against UNC.

They are neither consistent nor decisive. Hughes, too. You see them put up a miss, dance around a little, unsure whether to follow the shot or get back on defense, and get caught in between the two. This has kind of flown under the radar, but I'd wager that there aren't too many Syracuse teams with so many guys who don't know how to rotate after a shot attempt.

I tell my kid all the time, there are two choices when you are on offense and the shot goes up, and stand and watch is not one of those two choices. I'd say the same thing to all of our guys.

He has no post up game? Not sure that's what a 2 guard is primarily working on. Tyus kept us in the game throughout the 2nd half. Kid is a scorer and not afraid to take it upon himself. I think he's the least of our worries on the offense.

We shot horribly at the foul line. UNC was lights out, and got there A LOT. We got beat by a better team on the road. There is no shame in that loss. It sucks, but the important thing is we bounce back and beat WF on Saturday.

Considering they've had 90 or more points in a game 12 times so far this season, and 100+ at least 6 times I'm not surprised. And they had been averaging 1.45ppp against zones this year...doubt they hit that number last night.

Edit: I put it this way, how many teams in the country would I pick to beat Duke and UNC in a row? Not many, if any.

Other than that, you're mostly happy with their play?

When you get three or four shots on damn near every possession, these are the scores you come up with. The problem is that those numbers also double as the weights of our frontcourt players since we joined the ACC.

Last 8 games against UNC. Really need to adjust the defense because they kill us on the offensive side of the ball.
Funny i was thinking that very same thing lol. Every time we play them they light our defense up. Not too sure what boehiem can do with the defense against them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom