A couple questions for you guys | Syracusefan.com

A couple questions for you guys

Actionthrill

Walk On
Do we have another strong recruiting class coming in? Who are the incoming players to get excited about? Are we recruiting a good face off guy? And is next year the year we make the tournament and maybe make a run? Thanks for your answers.

We seem to get questions like this every few months. If you spend a few minutes going through old posts I think you'll find your answers pretty quickly. That said, since I'm bored I can give you my take on things.

1) This recruiting class is pretty good but not like last years. I think it is a marked improvement compared to what SU was getting before the '22 class though. Prior to Spallina and co. SU was pulling in some pretty middling classes, getting just one or two players in the Power 100, and those were usually players at 100, outside of Owen Hiltz who was an outlier.

2) As for players to watch, this year SU has two players in the most recent Top 50, with Trey Deere at attack and Donny Scott at defense. Deere has already been named to the New Balance All America Game. I think other players have a chance to make the Power 100, like Jake Spallina, Tucker Kellogg, John Mullin and Wyatt Hottle. Tyler McCarthy is an under the radar type who could also be a very good pickup.

3) Mullin and Jake Spallina are two good face-off recruits coming in next year. That said it's really hard to predict how well face-off recruits will perform as freshmen. I think the staff will be well served if they bring in a transfer at this spot, given the difficulties they had last year.

4) I mean, I hope so. Given what SU has coming back, and the rumored transfers they are bringing in (Alex English and Jake Steven from Princeton), yes I absolutely think making the tournament should be an expectation.

I'm excited to see Kellogg big kid with a literal rocket of a shot.
Trey Deere and Wyatt Hottle could be great 2nd line players year one.
Jake Spallina could prob come in right away and help us at SSDM, and Mullen could get some reps at FO if other guys struggle during the fall.
Chrishawn Hunter is a work in progress, if he could add another 10lbs and work on his accuracy he could almost be a Hakeem Lecky type of player.
The Goalie we have coming in is pretty good but since Mark is most likely coming back he'll redshirt.

Brett Bucktooth JR has amazing size and some of his plays are just jaw dropping. But I think he needs a year of better coaching to really refine his overall game, he'll be going Prep.
Brett Spallina could help us as a man down Defender Year one.
Tyler McCarthy is a football/ lacrosse player, he's not afraid of contact and he's got tricks up his sleaves. He should be ranked higher than he is.

I'm excited to see Kellogg big kid with a literal rocket of a shot.
Trey Deere and Wyatt Hottle could be great 2nd line players year one.
Jake Spallina could prob come in right away and help us at SSDM, and Mullen could get some reps at FO if other guys struggle during the fall.
Chrishawn Hunter is a work in progress, if he could add another 10lbs and work on his accuracy he could almost be a Hakeem Lecky type of player.
The Goalie we have coming in is pretty good but since Mark is most likely coming back he'll redshirt.
If Hunter works on his accuracy, then he’ll be nothing like Lecky.

:)

Brett Bucktooth JR has amazing size and some of his plays are just jaw dropping. But I think he needs a year of better coaching to really refine his overall game, he'll be going Prep.
Brett Spallina could help us as a man down Defender Year one.
Tyler McCarthy is a football/ lacrosse player, he's not afraid of contact and he's got tricks up his sleaves. He should be ranked higher than he is.

Bucktooth doing a year of prep is a good call, he needs to see the field and continue to elevate his game which would be hard to do next year at SU. Brett Spallina is a near lock to red-shirt, hard to see him seeing the field next year as there is already a log jam at LSM and he'd be better off preserving a year of eligiblity.

Need ACC caliber defenders.
Riley Figg coming back has the potential to be a high end ACC defender. Dwan should be a solid ACC caliber defender next yr with a yr under his belt. Olexo back at LSM is def an ACC caliber LSM. Now if we can get 3 ACC SSDMs oh man we're in business. Haha some guys expect to much out of shortys as they get attacked all game and even the best get beat here and there. They have to replace Aviles to he was the top guy the last two seasons and not only plays solid man to man D but is excellent in the clearing game. As we will see next yr on another team that he's also a two way who is a serious threat in transitions. They can not go out there with Rice and Rosa which I'm sure they know. Losing Aviles stinks and I understand why the kid left he knows he is talented enough to play offense after playing it again for team PR last summer. I know he wasn't facing ACC comp but still u can see his skill level. I honestly think he has a shot to make a PLL roster if he gets the chance next yr to show he can play offense too. He knows he's not getting the opportunity at SU after 2 yrs under this coaching staff. For his own career he's gotta go show what he can do next season. He's fast, athletic and tough and SU needs at least two transfer SSDMs preferably 3. Gotta hope Trujillo is ready to contribute next season. I'm really hoping they give Eli Fisher a shot. I think he can at least be a solid 2nd line DM for this team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom