A few thoughts on UNC and the NCAA tourney | Syracusefan.com

A few thoughts on UNC and the NCAA tourney

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Was hoping to have a preview for this game but due to a nightmare work week and the fact this is the second matchup with UNC I decided against it. I will have one up for Colgate and then obviously the NCAA tourney.

I thought the performance against Hobart was pretty impressive and exactly what the team needed. I knew once Love was out that there was zero chance of the Cuse losing but to put that kind of beatdown on a "rivalry" opponent was a joy to watch. Was also great to get some of the young guys some additional PT ie Simmons, Forkin, Gillis, Demarco, Desko, Salcido, several young D players etc.
Was also nice to get Staats and Williams out pretty much at half to keep them healthy and rested, ditto for Mullins and Young.

In regards to tonights game, there are obviously some pretty big complications for the NCAA tourney. If Syracuse wants a 2 or even a 1 they obviously have to win tonight. A loss to UNC probably puts them at a 4 assuming they beat Colgate and the other teams hold serve. If Denver and Maryland win their conf tourney's and Duke makes a run Cuse could get bumped all the way down to a 5 or even a 6. I think 5 is probably as far they would fall though assuming they took care of business against Colgate. The biggest potential issue is that if Syracuse falls to a 4 or 5 seed its seems clear most people expect the committe to pit them against Albany in the 1st round. This to me makes almost zero sense, especially with Albany beating Yale last weekend. If Albany wins the NEC I think there is a decent chance they can get that last seeded spot (8). As dominate as Syracuse looked for large stretches against Albany a few weeks ago I would prefer to avoid a first round matchup against Lyle Thompson.

As for UNC tonight I think its pretty clear what we need to see from Syraucse. The play defensively has to be light years better. Look its clear UNC is going to score goals no thinks were holding that offense to 6 goals but we can't have a repeat performance of what we saw a few weeks ago. With Wardwell being a Senior and his performance of the year coming against Carolina I have high hopes he can turn in a much better performance. I know that Desko has indicated that he plans to stick with Wardwell throughout the game but to be honest I think the hook will be quick if he struggles like that again Hill looked really good in the second half against Hobart again making some ridiculous saves. I have no issue sticking with Wardwell but if the flood gates open again early he needs to make the quick move to Hill.

Some tough decisions for the Syracuse D tonight. They did a pretty good job of limiting Bitter and Sankey last game but the rest of the Tar Heel offense exploded. The two biggest issues are Goldstock at attack and Tutton at Midfield. I think McCartney and Firman will draw Tutton and try to slow him down ala Myles Jones. As for Goldstock the options there are pretty limited. Desko tried to utilize Sean Young but Goldstock was just to quick and he abused us a couple of times in the second half. Normally D'Agostino would be a good bet there but because of the speed of Bitter and Sankey he was paired with Mullins to try and matchup with one of them. So whats the answer for SU? Tough to say. Young appears to be the odd man out when playing vs UNC. He does a great job against crease players but UNC doesn't really have a guy like that and he doesn't have the speed to stay with Goldstock, Bitter or Sankey. Will be interesting to see if Syracuse comes out with any new defensive wrinkles.

From an offensive standpoint I think the previous game showed that Syracuse didn't really have a problem scoring or generating offensive opportunities. Syracuse scored 15 goals, Burke for UNC had 17 saves and Syracuse hit at least 7 or 8 pipes. With some improved shooting accuracy and less turnovers I see no reason Syracuse cant put up at least 15 goals again. With Staats healthy and Schoonmakers likely close we should be at full strength for this game. I know there has been some concern especially by some posters over at laxpower that Syracuse doesn't push transition as much as it usded to and is to eager to let the offense setup and make substitutions. Its clear Syracuse doesn't run and gun as much as it used to but thats a product more of the current makeup of the team rather then a change in philosophy. Syracuse does run at times but its clear they dont push the envelope as much as they did in the 90's and early 2000's. I would like to see them try and push transition more if the opportunity is there but at this point in the season with a senior laden team its difficult to try and change your offensive philosophy on the fly.

The main thing I would like to see today is Syracuse avoid yet another slow start and Ben Williams staying/looking fresh throughout the game. Getting Paduda a few looks during the game isn't the worst thing in the world because its clear that vs ND and UNC Williams wasn't himself by the fouth quarter. Williams has been impressive all year and I expect it to continue against UNC despite how good Kelly has been for UNC on the year.

Clearly this is a big game for Syracuse. I always give SU a slight edge when they play an opponent for the second time coming off a loss in the first game. A win tonight will tell me a lot about this team.

I was surprised to see Kelly's FO win pct is only ~50%. He has looked much better than that in the few games I have watched for UNC. However, he did lose many down the stretch vs ND.

I was surprised to see Kelly's FO win pct is only ~50%. He has looked much better than that in the few games I have watched for UNC. However, he did lose many down the stretch vs ND.

I don't think hes fully healthy from his hand/wrist injury last year, he was putting up big numbers prior to going down for the rest of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom