A few thoughts | Syracusefan.com

A few thoughts

Cuse House

All American
Game 1 against UNC was our first game with Jimmy B back from his suspension. We were really in control of that game for a good stretch until they started to kill us down low. Our interior defense has improved immensely since then. Our freshman have also improved immensely since then. Howard was hardly getting any run at that time and he has now become a 10-20 minute guy. With UNC's depth, just being able to rest our guards here and there is a big deal. It was a very winnable game.

Game 2, we turned the ball over a lot in that game especially in the first half. We have really been taking care of the ball in the tournament thus far. Zero turnovers in the 2nd half against Virginia is amazing. Carolina also hit a much higher number of threes in this game than normal. The interior defense was much better than the first game but still not where it has been these last few weeks. In both games, the offense was not very good.

If we want to win, we have to play more like game 2. Make Carolina beat us with jump shooting. I think we need to pack the paint and converge quickly down low like we did against Sabonis. The difference is Gonzaga had the guys (or Wiltjer) who could shoot from deep consistently, which UNC really does not have. I think that Gonzaga game was the best prep we could have possibly had. We shut Anthony Gill down who torched us down at UVA. He was in foul trouble, but we still made it difficult for him when he got it. I think Sabonis is much more skilled than anyone UNC has although Johnson is more athletically gifted. We need to attack him on the catch.

We are a totally different team now than we were when we played Carolina a month ago. Our freshman now are a difference maker and our defense is much better. I haven't even touched on Roberson who was in a serious slump when we played them during the regular season. We honestly played very poorly in both games and in game number 2, Carolina was drilling three after three. Still, it was only a 5 point loss at Carolina. UVA in my opinion was a much tougher matchup for us than Carolina.

I love our chances, frankly I expect us to win. We played garbage ball and had them on the ropes both games. I am very optimistic because of our all around improvement, especially the defense and rebounding.

Roberson, is the key. He's been so intense on the glass, he's the difference maker this time around.
I agree. Besides Johnson, the other Carolina bigs are just big bodies. Roberson has the quickness to get around them and get the ball. I expect 10+ rebounds from him in this game. If that happens we have a great opportunity to move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom