A few thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

A few thoughts...

Rocco

Watching you.
First and foremost, had a great time with my crew before and after the game. It's so nice we're back in football mode! Beer me.

That offense is amazing. The whole time we were watching it, we'll kept saying to each other that Babers has to be pretty pissed that it wasn't much faster getting another play off. His "watching paint dry" comment in the post-game presser was hilarious. "You'll never see us play that slow again...". Can only imagine how crazy it will be once they're truly clicking and not overly gassed.

Dungey is a great fit for this offense. He adds another dynamic with his quick feet and running ability. Arm strength, at least to my eye, looked improved and he was very accurate. His chemistry with Philips was on display and it's quite clear that he and ET have clicked as well. I've read the concerns about Ishmael, but he also had 6 receptions and they really didn't call his number that much. 6 catches last year would've led the team and we'd be singing his praises. He is a talented possession receiver who has the ability to beat jam corners and the physicality and hands to go up and get the jump balls. Not worried about him one bit.

The running back situation is still far too early to judge IMO. There's obviously great talent at the position and the combination of broken tackles, quickness and straight-line speed on that Moe Neal TD run was promising. Strickland, Fredericks and Neal will all have their number called. Defenses will start running nickel and dime coverages, which will give the RBs hopefully less crowded lanes to pick up yards.

I'm confused about the offensive line. Babers has said in the past that it will take some time for them to pick up this completely different style of play, but I came away slightly concerned. Dungey had to run a little bit too much for my liking, especially against an inferior team like Colgate. Need to do a better job with the tandem blocks and the tackles need to do a better job creating a pocket for Dungey. TBD.

Defensively, I really liked how they responded after that 1st TD. They kept the pressure on and the receivers were suffocated. Some huge hits by Cordy. That kid hits like a dump truck. Was unsure of the stunts on the defensive line; you'd think they would just bull rush them the whole game. In any event, I remain excited about the DL. Got some beasts down there.

Thought the LBs did an OK job. Franklin was obviously flying all over the place, but I thought Bennett was a stud. Thomas seemed to get the most run on the other side.

Cole Murphy was perfect and showed a great leg. He could hit from 50 this year, maybe longer.

I loved Babers demeanor on the sideline. He was always by himself and at the line of scrimmage, focusing and studying his units. Calm, cool and collect for sure. When kids would come off the field, he was clearly encouraging them and never really got fired up like Shaf. That was slightly refreshing to see.

The attendance was abysmal. I mean, What. Hopefully we get another 10k in the seats for the OrangeOut this Friday against LVille. That was pathetic. I'm sure Babers is using that as motivation. That's a big task getting the fair weather fans back in the stands. Keep winning and playing exciting football and it will happen. Belief without evidence...

Cannot wait for Friday. It will be a great test. Really, really, really glad we got Babers to come here. The excitement is back again...

Section 250 was empty ... Glad I had room, but not glad at the same time

Great post, Rocco. Lots to be excited about with Babers and this staff.

I'm hoping that some of the OL issues are predicated upon continuity. They didn't decide upon Conway running with the first unit until last week, so hopefully that group will continue to gel / improve as the season goes on. Will be interesting to see what the redshirt frosh on the roster can do when they get the opportunity [Duering, Byrne, etc.].

Have to keep Dungey upright.

In terms of his chemistry with ET and Philips, the takeaway from Friday IMO was not so much that Philips is going to be a featured weapon, but that whatever opposing defenses give us, we're going to exploit. Next game, Louisville might scheme to limit Philips chances, in which case Estime or Ishmael might find themselves uncovered. Luckily, we have a QB who can make all of the necessary throws, and has "it" in terms of being a playmaker. Haven't a QB this talented or dynamic since McNabb. And he's got an impressive array of weapons at his disposal.

I was also encouraged by what we saw on defense, mostly. Still concerned about the pass rush, and it remains to be seen how the secondary holds up in coverage against good competition [which is obviously correlated with the aforementioned pass rush issue]. Two potential trouble spots that bear paying attention to as the season wears on, on that side of the ball.

Even so, it is hard not to be excited about what Babers and his staff are doing. And just think, that was only our first game, with new systems on both sides of the ball.

One last random thought: it is going to be very important for this team to avoid injuries to key personnel. If we can do that, we have a puncher's chance of getting to a bowl.

Last edited:
SU knew rough attendance before game time. they should have been working on a plan for this week that started as soon as that game ended. Promotion is an every week thing for this type of program. We got an email thanking us for coming but if they wait until tues to try and build off that game thats 3 days wasted. Hopefully the new AD gets that. build off the Opp and the excitement of game one. UL is not bring all that many people to help the crowd totals. looking at ticket master i dont see many more tickets sold than last week. will the kids come back?

Cole Murphy was perfect and showed a great leg. He could hit from 50 this year, maybe longer..
Provided we even attempt any more FG's.
big smile.gif

Good post. I really like Babers demeanor. His experience of being through this before as a HC showed and while he did try to force some runs imo he left a lot out as well to not show Louisville. Dungy looked like he was throwing darts with those quick throws, some nice long throws and left some points with a couple of misses long but his air on the ball gave the SU wr a shot at making a play. Loved the D bouncing back and being solid throughout. Tackling was very good and decent blocking on the edges by the wr's. Punting and FG's were very good and happy to see this along with excellent snaps. Was a little disappointed with the redzone package...still wanted 4 wr's to open things up and the blocking package struggled but I understand it needs to be worked on. The crowd...WTH, loud who was loyal and there but very disappointing.

Good post. I really like Babers demeanor. His experience of being through this before as a HC showed and while he did try to force some runs imo he left a lot out as well to not show Louisville. Dungy looked like he was throwing darts with those quick throws, some nice long throws and left some points with a couple of misses long but his air on the ball gave the SU wr a shot at making a play. Loved the D bouncing back and being solid throughout. Tackling was very good and decent blocking on the edges by the wr's. Punting and FG's were very good and happy to see this along with excellent snaps. Was a little disappointed with the redzone package...still wanted 4 wr's to open things up and the blocking package struggled but I understand it needs to be worked on. The crowd...WTH, loud who was loyal and there but very disappointing.

Piss poor tackling by the secondary and piss poor blocking by WRs were a HUGE part of what killed us last year. The Colgate game is evidence that part of their game has improved.

First and foremost, had a great time with my crew before and after the game. It's so nice we're back in football mode! Beer me.

That offense is amazing. The whole time we were watching it, we'll kept saying to each other that Babers has to be pretty pissed that it wasn't much faster getting another play off. His "watching paint dry" comment in the post-game presser was hilarious. "You'll never see us play that slow again...". Can only imagine how crazy it will be once they're truly clicking and not overly gassed.

Dungey is a great fit for this offense. He adds another dynamic with his quick feet and running ability. Arm strength, at least to my eye, looked improved and he was very accurate. His chemistry with Philips was on display and it's quite clear that he and ET have clicked as well. I've read the concerns about Ishmael, but he also had 6 receptions and they really didn't call his number that much. 6 catches last year would've led the team and we'd be singing his praises. He is a talented possession receiver who has the ability to beat jam corners and the physicality and hands to go up and get the jump balls. Not worried about him one bit.

The running back situation is still far too early to judge IMO. There's obviously great talent at the position and the combination of broken tackles, quickness and straight-line speed on that Moe Neal TD run was promising. Strickland, Fredericks and Neal will all have their number called. Defenses will start running nickel and dime coverages, which will give the RBs hopefully less crowded lanes to pick up yards.

I'm confused about the offensive line. Babers has said in the past that it will take some time for them to pick up this completely different style of play, but I came away slightly concerned. Dungey had to run a little bit too much for my liking, especially against an inferior team like Colgate. Need to do a better job with the tandem blocks and the tackles need to do a better job creating a pocket for Dungey. TBD.

Defensively, I really liked how they responded after that 1st TD. They kept the pressure on and the receivers were suffocated. Some huge hits by Cordy. That kid hits like a dump truck. Was unsure of the stunts on the defensive line; you'd think they would just bull rush them the whole game. In any event, I remain excited about the DL. Got some beasts down there.

Thought the LBs did an OK job. Franklin was obviously flying all over the place, but I thought Bennett was a stud. Thomas seemed to get the most run on the other side.

Cole Murphy was perfect and showed a great leg. He could hit from 50 this year, maybe longer.

I loved Babers demeanor on the sideline. He was always by himself and at the line of scrimmage, focusing and studying his units. Calm, cool and collect for sure. When kids would come off the field, he was clearly encouraging them and never really got fired up like Shaf. That was slightly refreshing to see.

The attendance was abysmal. I mean, What. Hopefully we get another 10k in the seats for the OrangeOut this Friday against LVille. That was pathetic. I'm sure Babers is using that as motivation. That's a big task getting the fair weather fans back in the stands. Keep winning and playing exciting football and it will happen. Belief without evidence...

Cannot wait for Friday. It will be a great test. Really, really, really glad we got Babers to come here. The excitement is back again...

I am in a group of 5 - with a possibility of 2 more for Friday. None were there for Colgate.

I agree...the wr's always seemed very inefficient on their blocks last year and what is being taught to these young men is going to give the whole group success.

orange-animation.gif

Very appealing post!

To me the Colgate game foreshadowed what Coach Babers is working toward.
Let's hope the O line improves significantly by next week; in both QB protection and run blocking.

Loads of positives as well as continued work needed which is what Coach Babers told us prior to the season.

Go Orange! Beat Louisville!!!

go orange.gif

How hard does a dump truck hit, anyway? Has anyone here ever been hit by one?

How hard does a dump truck hit, anyway? Has anyone here ever been hit by one?
My brother did when he was in his car. Needless to say, the dump truck won. Too bad because he would be part of our season ticket crew if he were still on this earth.

Great recap Rocco. I no longer worry about attendance, it is what it is. The fair weathers will come back on the bandwagon once they see this offense start blowing the doors off more teams.

Babers demeanor was one thing I really liked about him at Bowling Green. He is all business.
They say that the greatest improvement is from game 1 to game 2. It will be interesting to see how fast we can go against L'ville.
It looks to me that this staff is a good one and all working together to install Dino's system. We are in very good hands.

Cordy...Qadry Ismail was "the Missile". I like the way Cordy spots his target and boom! I dub thee "the guided missile".

Have to keep Dungey upright.

In terms of his chemistry with ET and Philips, the takeaway from Friday IMO was not so much that Philips is going to be a featured weapon, but that whatever opposing defenses give us, we're going to exploit. Next game, Louisville might scheme to limit Philips chances, in which case Estime or Ishmael might find themselves uncovered. Luckily, we have a QB who can make all of the necessary throws, and has "it" in terms of being a playmaker. Haven't a QB this talented or dynamic since McNabb. And he's got an impressive array of weapons at his disposal.

Agreed RF.

Keeping Dungey on his feet is the most important thing, for several reasons. You know damn well that LVille's defensive unit is licking their chops at crushing Dungey. Take him out and their game plan is substantially easier. I expect to see a massive amount of blitzing. Again, make him and his receivers beat you. Going to be a huge challenge. Their guys FLY on defense. An awesome defense for sure.

Adding on to the receivers, there is no doubt that one of the WRs will always have the key mismatch. Not sure if we'll see it against LVille or not, but Ishmael, ET, Philips, Bris, Riley, Butler or Enoicy will surely see a mismatch every game. It's up to Dungey to find it. Hard not to love the weapons he has to throw to.

I want to see the OL improve this week. I was truly not impressed with that unit last week. Hopefully it was purely attributed to a lack of cohesion and not a talent issue. Time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom