A lack of passers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A lack of passers

i suppose you can learn a lot about flying planes from reading manuals and watching tapes. me...i prefer a pilot with some actual seat time thank you.

i suppose you can learn a lot about flying planes from reading manuals and watching tapes. me...i prefer a pilot with some actual seat time thank you.
I assume if this board existed when he was coaching Bouie, Seikaly, Schayes, et. al., you would have been just as critical of Bernie Fine. Right?

jim boeheim, mike hopkins, adrian autry, gerry mac , allen griffin. hey let's also put DEVO behind the bench.
there are qualified people besides former SU guards who never played NBA who might be able to bring some frontline perspective, coaching and recruiting chops to the program . we are definitely one note in our coaching profile.
inside the paint occurs a violent and intricate dance that those who have not been there don't ever fully grasp .

(edit: no big time program ever tried to steal away bernie fine. he kept his seat cuz he was JB's pal. that's it.
he served at the pleasure of the king and when he became a liability was quickly jettisoned never to coach again)

Last edited:
jim boeheim, mike hopkins, adrian autry, gerry mac , allen griffin. hey let's also put DEVO behind the bench.
their are qualified people besides former SU guards who never played NBA who might be able to bring some frontline perspective, coaching and recruiting chops to the program . we are definitely one note in our coaching profile.
inside the paint occurs a violent and intricate dance that those who have not been there don't ever fully grasp .

(edit: no big time program ever tried to steal away bernie fine. he kept his seat cuz he was JB's pal. that's it.
he served at the pleasure of the king and when he became a liability was quickly jettisoned never to coach again)

Sounds like duke.

there are qualified people besides former SU guards who never played NBA who might be able to bring some frontline perspective, coaching and recruiting chops to the program . we are definitely one note in our coaching profile.

Yeah. The coaching sucks. Program sucks. Everything sucks. Yada yada yada. We get it.

You are moving the goalposts. No one said anything about trying to steal a coach away. Your point was you didn't like the fact that we didn't have a big man coaching our big men, right? You still haven't answered the question. Did you have a problem when Bernie was coaching our bigs? Do you have a problem with the results? Do you remember the incredible improvement Seikaly showed as the years went on? Schayes? All your post is saying is that you don't like the way JB runs his program. We get it. It's not the first time (or the thousandth time) you have said it. But IMO, it has nothing to do with the point you are trying to make.

i didn't move the goalposts at all . you asked me directly if i had a problem with bernie coaching the bigs and i said unequivocally yes .
now you tell me if you like the all syracuse all backcourt all the time coaching staff style we've assembled or if we need some diversity.

i didn't move the goalposts at all . you asked me directly if i had a problem with bernie coaching the bigs and i said unequivocally yes .
now you tell me if you like the all syracuse all backcourt all the time coaching staff style we've assembled or if we need some diversity.

What is the height requirement? There aren’t many 6’10 coaches.

nice dodge. and tick off the success of syracuse big men in the nba while you ponder. bernie coach dolph shayes ?

What is the height requirement? There aren’t many 6’10 coaches.
Well, there's Danny Manning. And Patrick Ewing.

Why didn't we hire either of those guys? We'd have 8 or 9 NC's. :rolleyes:

nice dodge. and tick off the success of syracuse big men in the nba while you ponder. bernie coach dolph shayes ?

Yeah, if only those Syracuse coaches could’ve made Onuaku, Hill, Jackson, and Christmas 7 footers, they would’ve thrived in the NBA. In college those guys were complete stiffs who never improved at all right?

There's obviously way more to it than just height -- not all players can "teach." And there are plenty of successful head coaches who were former guards or who never even played at all. So just being tall or having played before isn't the end all, be all.

But I agree with several of your points -- BF couldn't be more overrated by our fanbase, he was a slug [and for the record I've been making that observation since I started attending regular practices back in the early 90s, not influenced by the scandal] who got a lot more credit than he deserved, IMO.

Since JB seems to prefer keeping things in the "family," I would have liked to have seen him explore bringing in an alum with proven coaching aptitude in Herman Harried. Oh well.

Mark Price recently got fired at Charlotte. He is one of the best shooters of all time. If we hire him, our shooting woes are solved!
And Steve Nash as FT coach. Natty!

is that at shot at me or gerry ?

idris-gif-what-do-you-think.gif

well he had louis orr who went onto several HC gigs. (not sure where he is now). JB may be a bit of a control freak who only wants people he can control under him. his own former players fit that bill. but why only guards ??? who knows. a frontline guy to recruit and coach seems like a fit.

well he had louis orr who went onto several HC gigs. (not sure where he is now). JB may be a bit of a control freak who only wants people he can control under him. his own former players fit that bill. but why only guards ??? who knows.

...and Louis Orr was primarily responsible for the early development of Etan Thomas. Used to work with him extensively after practice, teaching him fundamentals. When he arrived at SU in 1996, he was as raw as he could possibly have been. He had no idea about positioning, using his back to feel the defender, foot work, etc. No exaggeration.

There was definitely benefit in having a 6-9 guy be able to show Etan some of the finer nuances of big man play, lean on him defensively as he practiced the moves Orr showed him, etc.

i remember etan (derrick ?) thomas showing up on campus physically gifted but could foul out in 3 minutes. rock lloyd class.

well he had louis orr who went onto several HC gigs. (not sure where he is now). JB may be a bit of a control freak who only wants people he can control under him. his own former players fit that bill. but why only guards ??? who knows. a frontline guy to recruit and coach seems like a fit.

Orr couldn’t recruit.

didn't he bring in andre barrett, eddie griffin, marcus toney el and kelly whitney at the hall ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom