A little life lesson... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A little life lesson...

HoustonCuse started the thoughtful campaign to give Orangeyes’ posts more “likes” the day after he had his final major surgery (from which he never regained full consciousness). Sadly, Dan died without seeing the love expressed in that effort. His family saw it… and appreciated it. But Dan himself never saw it.

Tell people in your life (not specifically on this forum) you love them… and appreciate them…. and value them…. when they can hear you say it. Eulogies are lovely…..but they are never heard by the person who is being thanked and honored in them.

In that vein, let me say that you people are important to me and have enriched my life. Dan was certainly one of those, but I honor and treasure the comradery shared by the folks that bring life to this board. I rarely make it to games and have been on the board very little in the last 9 months, but often think about the friendship I feel with you. Though this place exists primarily in cyberspace, it's a vital entity and celebrates life. Thank you all for making this place alive and dynamic, both in the thoughts represented but also in the way those thoughts play out in real life. The Fine tailgate is a living thing that comes at least partially from this board and participating in both has been important to me...certainly more important than I am to it. The sum is greater than the parts, but I've had the opportunity to be part and thank you for that. I honor Dan especially because it was through searching for Syracuse information that I came upon this board when one of Dan's posts came up in my search results. Please know that even though I'm not here regularly right now, I feel a bond with you that has meaning to me and appreciate that you carry on for those of us that aren't here. War Damn OE!!

I'm always in the minority but I think the like system is stupid. Especially the way many use them.
I think it's fun! Doesn't really mean anything serious to me at this point. I have flooded OE and others with likes from day 1. And I know he asked me a few times about it in pms. So what did I do? Liked more of his posts! If it makes someone happy, then by all means. Especially for Dan. Through the likes, it didn't seem he was appreciated enough, but all good.

I even wish there was database column "likes given". I am curious about that one. :)

I think it's fun! Doesn't really mean anything serious to me at this point. I have flooded OE and others with likes from day 1. And I know he asked me a few times about it in pms. So what did I do? Liked more of his posts! If it makes someone happy, then by all means. Especially for Dan. Through the likes, it didn't seem he was appreciated enough, but all good.

I even wish there was database column "likes given". I am curious about that one. :)
Interesting...I didn't know you enjoyed giving "likes". ;)

It is easy to assume someone knows how you feel about them so there can be the thought that there's no need to express that feeling, which is unfortunate to the one who is loved and greatly appreciated. And it's easy to become comfortable or complacent with what someone does for you without returning enough appreciation or there's appreciation but it slowly fades over time since we get used to the repeated good deeds. And also it's harder for some folks to reach out to others for various reasons. Like many have said here, never assume, and reach out and make that move, even if uncomfortable, to that other person. I need my own advice for sure.

In Dan's passing, Dan, with the help of messages conveyed by others on this board, is reminding us all what life is all about, the important things, not just about SU sports. Thanks Dan, thanks everyone.

It is easy to assume someone knows how you feel about them so there can be the thought that there's no need to express that feeling, which is unfortunate to the one who is loved and greatly appreciated. And it's easy to become comfortable or complacent with what someone does for you without returning enough appreciation or there's appreciation but it slowly fades over time since we get used to the repeated good deeds. And also it's harder for some folks to reach out to others for various reasons. Like many have said here, never assume, and reach out and make that move, even if uncomfortable, to that other person. I need my own advice for sure.

In Dan's passing, Dan, with the help of messages conveyed by others on this board, is reminding us all what life is all about, the important things, not just about SU sports. Thanks Dan, thanks everyone.
And thank you, my friend!

Just a piece of the lyrics from the Garth Brooks recording of If Tomorrow Never Comes.

'Cause I've lost loved ones in my life
Who never knew how much I loved them
Now I live with the regret
That my true feelings for them never were revealed
So I made a promise to myself
To say each day how much she means to me
And avoid that circumstance
Where there's no second chance to tell her how I feel

More lyrics http://www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/garth_brooks/if_tomorrow_never_comes-lyrics-9700.html#ixzz37es9tpgV

In that vein, let me say that you people are important to me and have enriched my life. Dan was certainly one of those, but I honor and treasure the comradery shared by the folks that bring life to this board. I rarely make it to games and have been on the board very little in the last 9 months, but often think about the friendship I feel with you. Though this place exists primarily in cyberspace, it's a vital entity and celebrates life. Thank you all for making this place alive and dynamic, both in the thoughts represented but also in the way those thoughts play out in real life. The Fine tailgate is a living thing that comes at least partially from this board and participating in both has been important to me...certainly more important than I am to it. The sum is greater than the parts, but I've had the opportunity to be part and thank you for that. I honor Dan especially because it was through searching for Syracuse information that I came upon this board when one of Dan's posts came up in my search results. Please know that even though I'm not here regularly right now, I feel a bond with you that has meaning to me and appreciate that you carry on for those of us that aren't here. War Damn OE!!

Great to see you back around here. You always bring a positive vibe. Stick around for a bit this time. ;)

If it were a reprimand, I included myself among the reprimandees.

Dan frequently asked me ... whether it was worth his time to compile those aggregated posts every day. He thought hardly anyone was reading them,,, because among the 200-300 or so views, there were generally no responses. And hardly ever a "like"

Reading the out-pouring of love since Dan died, I could not help but remember those conversations.

Many of the people mourning Dan now... never acknowledged his contributions... or thanked him for them... or said they loved him... while he was here. That was my point... in discussing a larger truth... the need to appreciate people when they can know you appreciate them. It had nothing to do with message boards. It had to do with life... and the people in your life.

Maybe sometimes the truth hurts.
all I'm saying is that everyone who has ever visited this board appreciates the work of Orangeyes. we don't all log in all the time, I only log in to post and I try to keep that as rare as possible because I tend to get banned a lot, and I never know my password anymore anyway. should I have logged in every day to like his posts, I guess so, but it doesn't mean I appreciated it any less and honestly i didn't regard it as something that important. i am going to stop myself now because i will only get into trouble from here.

all I'm saying is that everyone who has ever visited this board appreciates the work of Orangeyes. we don't all log in all the time, I only log in to post and I try to keep that as rare as possible because I tend to get banned a lot, and I never know my password anymore anyway. should I have logged in every day to like his posts, I guess so, but it doesn't mean I appreciated it any less and honestly i didn't regard it as something that important. i am going to stop myself now because i will only get into trouble from here.
Yikes. How many times do I have to say this? It had nothing to do with "liking" posts. Days would go by ... with no RESPONSES to his posts. That is what made him question whether he was doing anything of value here.

Last edited:
cto said:
Yikes. How many times do I have to say this? It had nothing to do with "liking" posts. Days would go by ... with no RESPONSES to his posts. That is what made him question whether he was doing anything of value.

I think the lack of responses had to do with a number of factors. One is that while people would click on the links Dan provided and read the stories, they would talk about them in separate threads. And two, Dan's posts were a daily occurrence. People got used to seeing them and as with many routines, you don't realize what you're missing until one day they're gone. Which led to your terrific post cto.

The great thing is that Dan knew at the end of his life, how many friends he had and how many here cared for him and appreciated all he did for us. Some folks never get that outpouring before it's too late. And as you pointed out, it's important to let the people you care about know that on a regular basis. The older you get, the more you realize the day may come when that person is no longer there.

I've always loved the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life" and its story of how one person's life can have a meaningful impact. Dan's impact was meaningful here and in many other areas of his life. Although we are all sad that it ended too soon, he truly had a wonderful life!

oh I get it;
thanks jake for exclusively posting on the elite board. tomcat u gave me an appreciation of tubas. thanks cto for making me realize how good craig was and how important a hug was to winning. could u do it in the tournament too please. thanks to all for the five alerts I get daily. cant wait for the next board function. I do want to thank those that took the time for the encouragement post stroke.

oh I get it;
thanks jake for exclusively posting on the elite board. tomcat u gave me an appreciation of tubas. thanks cto for making me realize how good craig was and how important a hug was to winning. could u do it in the tournament too please. thanks to all for the five alerts I get daily. cant wait for the next board function. I do want to thank those that took the time for the encouragement post stroke.
Igor, you should know by now that we always "encourage" you. :D

"Trust me, Dan occasionally reflected on the low level of response his posts received… and wondered whether it was worth his time to do it."

Reading this broke my heart.

I'm sure there were many like me who made reading OE's daily links our first internet stop in the morning.

"Trust me, Dan occasionally reflected on the low level of response his posts received… and wondered whether it was worth his time to do it."

Reading this broke my heart.

I'm sure there were many like me who made reading OE's daily links our first internet stop in the morning.
Me too. I even remember him mentioning this to me in a pm. At the time, I went into areas of the forum I never did just to like his posts, but I still feel bad. Sometimes, we take for granted some of the greatest things in life because they're always there for you. Knew you could get everything SU sports when you woke up to his stuff. And those links even though they usually open in a new tab, you go there and forget about the starting point. I also liked when we were talking recruiting and he had the relevant article in hand, added to the mix while we were talking about the recruit. Amazing energy he had and always will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom