A look at next year | Syracusefan.com

A look at next year

DirtDog44

Walk On
The season is on the line this Saturday but thought I'd take a quick look at next year and get your feedback.

Point guard- Tyus Battle, Frank Howard, Caleb Joseph
Shooting guard- Malachi Richardson, Tyus Battle
Center- Dejuan Coleman, Pascal Chukwu
Power Forward- Tyler Roberson, Tyler Lydon
Small Foward- Tyler Lydon, Matthew Moyer

Next year's squad could be a special team. We will struggle early but get better as the season goes on. Hopefully Lydon puts on some weight and truly becomes our inside/outside threat. Also hoping Richardson takes on the leadership role.

Imagine facing a zone with Battle @ 6'6", Richardson 6'6", Chukwu 7'3", Lydon 6'9", Roberson 6'10"

The season is on the line this Saturday but thought I'd take a quick look at next year and get your feedback.

Next year's squad could be a special team. We will struggle early but get better as the season goes on. Hopefully Lydon puts on some weight and truly becomes our inside/outside threat. Also hoping Richardson takes on the leadership role.

Imagine facing a zone with Battle @ 6'6", Richardson 6'6", Chukwu 7'3", Lydon 6'9", Roberson 6'10"

and Jerami Grant is about 9'7" by now

Caleb Joseph
large.gif

Seems like every year is going to be a "special" one. At least until the season starts and we see how limited the team is.

Next year could have two star players, which hopefully can carry us. The success of next year will boil down to whether Roberson improves and is a consistent threat, whether Chukwu adds anything on the defensive end and whether Battle/Frank can handle the point. ON paper, this could be a very good defensive team and should have the parts to rebound well, but we all know how skinny kids can get pushed around in the zone.

We are all assuming Malachi returns and Lydon bulks up and becomes a beast. While I think both are back and in line for big years, I don't want to get too ahead of myself. Lydon could be an 18/8 guy and Malachi could push for 20/game.

Running something other than the pick and roll, and isolation while 4 guys watch on offense would probably be a good idea too.

I'd bet that you gave everyone, outside of Battle (who I have seen little of), an extra inch of height (and perhaps 2 for Roberson). Not that it matters or negates your point, but I'd be surprised if they were that tall even in sneakers.

Seems like every year is going to be a "special" one. At least until the season starts and we see how limited the team is.

Next year could have two star players, which hopefully can carry us. The success of next year will boil down to whether Roberson improves and is a consistent threat, whether Chukwu adds anything on the defensive end and whether Battle/Frank can handle the point. ON paper, this could be a very good defensive team and should have the parts to rebound well, but we all know how skinny kids can get pushed around in the zone.

We are all assuming Malachi returns and Lydon bulks up and becomes a beast. While I think both are back and in line for big years, I don't want to get too ahead of myself. Lydon could be an 18/8 guy and Malachi could push for 20/game.

Running something other than the pick and roll, and isolation while 4 guys watch on offense would probably be a good idea too.
I don;t think that Roberson has to improve to make for a great season. IMHO, he is the most likely to lose playing time anyways. Lydon could start at the "4" and Moyer at the 3. Or have Howard start and Richardson at the 3. And even a further outside chance would be have Coleman at the 4 and Chukwu start at center.

I don;t think that Roberson has to improve to make for a great season. IMHO, he is the most likely to lose playing time anyways. Lydon could start at the "4" and Moyer at the 3. Or have Howard start and Richardson at the 3. And even a further outside chance would be have Coleman at the 4 and Chukwu start at center.

Coleman at the 4 would be disastrous. He's way too slow to play that spot. No way he could go from corner to foul line extended to the lane.

Might want to subtract Joseph and add a big.

Perhaps a replacement as well for Joseph.

Just the fact that some would question whether Malachi returns is mind-boggling. I understand "once-bitten twice shy" regarding early departures, but there are literally 25 freshman just as good in CBB. And 22 or so of those will be back. One other thing, if you think next year is going to be "special" with either Frank Howard or Tyus Battle at PG, prepare for a letdown. FH looked really shaky when UNC applied ball pressure last night. And if he has an outside shot, he's doing a fine job hiding it.

Orangeblue2 said:
Just the fact that some would question whether Malachi returns is mind-boggling. I understand "once-bitten twice shy" regarding early departures, but there are literally 25 freshman just as good in CBB. And 22 or so of those will be back. One other thing, if you think next year is going to be "special" with either Frank Howard or Tyus Battle at PG, prepare for a letdown. FH looked really shaky when UNC applied ball pressure last night. And if he has an outside shot, he's doing a fine job hiding it.

Lol of course he looked shaky last nite. Hes a freshman playing limited minutes with a short leash on the road against a top 5 team. Not a recipe for success. Players improve from year to year. He'll be better next year and much more prepared to face a challenge like last night.

I like just looking at the rotations. Guards (Richardson, Battle, Howard), Forwards (Roberson, Lydon, Moyer) and Centers (Coleman and Chukwu). Of course there will be other players, but those are the likely rotation guys. And each unit is solid. The only weakness is at point guard. I think Howard is a legit PG, but he will likely come off the bench. Battle will be the lead guard, and guys like Lydon and Richardson are playmakers and willing passers, so hopefully the offense runs smoothly. Roberson is also a good passer and in my optimistic view, he comes in next year as a senior and shows leadership and confidence and becomes the consistent force that we have seen glimpses of.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what our non-conference schedule looks like next year? I read that we have South Carolina at Barclays and Georgetown at home but wasn't sure of any others.

Thanks

TR will get good PT next year if he is more consistent with his monster game side, has less What moments, can hit that foul line J a bit more, and because he's an upperclassmen in JB's system.

Frank has struggled any time he has been pressured, especially bringing the ball up court. His handle is just not good enough to play a lot minutes, yet. And without much of a scoring game, he can only play so many minutes for a team. Maybe he'll have the Frosh to Soph big jump, but I'm not expecting him to handle more than 15-20 mins per next year. I expect Malachi to see 35+ and Battle to see around 25.

Whoa whoa, haven't we outplayed your expectations this year?!?

Roberson absolutely has to improve, mostly in his consistency. We don't need him to score 20, but being a double-double threat every night is needed. He started shooting the FT jumper again yesterday, and will need to really start knocking that down consistently next year. That would be big.

Whoa whoa, haven't we outplayed your expectations this year?!?
Yes, by a few games. But I wasn't proclaiming how loaded we were like many were. And we were loaded last year too, from what I remember numerous people saying.

Next year could be a very good rebounding and defensive team, if things break as many hope. We'll certainly have the size and hopefully the experience/understanding to be very effective. But, I think it'll be a weak offensive team, again, outside of Lydon/Mal.

Yes, by a few games. But I wasn't proclaiming how loaded we were like many were. And we were loaded last year too, from what I remember numerous people saying.

Next year could be a very good rebounding and defensive team, if things break as many hope. We'll certainly have the size and hopefully the experience/understanding to be very effective. But, I think it'll be a weak offensive team, again, outside of Lydon/Mal.
Lydon and Mal will both be trying to play their way into the Lottery and I could see each of them averaging +/- 20 points per game. I think we can expect Battle to be a double digit scorer. That's 50-60 points. We'll have to figure out how to get 20-30 out of Roberson/Chukwu/Howard/Coleman/Moyer.

On defense they could be elite.

Rebounding should be about as good as it can be for playing zone and we should be a force on the offensive glass.

Lydon and Mal will both be trying to play their way into the Lottery and I could see each of them averaging +/- 20 points per game. I think we can expect Battle to be a double digit scorer. That's 50-60 points. We'll have to figure out how to get 20-30 out of Roberson/Chukwu/Howard/Coleman/Moyer.

On defense they could be elite.

Rebounding should be about as good as it can be for playing zone and we should be a force on the offensive glass.
If only it were that simple...

Getting one guy to 20 ppg would be an accomplishment we haven't seen since Hak in 2005. Getting both around 20 would be something we haven't seen in a very, very long time. Heck, we haven't had 2 15ppg scorers in a single season since 2009. I'd have to guess both will be around 15-18. Expecting Battle to be a double digit scorer right away might be pushing it too. With the pace JB has been running, we should probably expect around 70-72 ppg. Hopefully, we'll have a much improved defensive unit and can really hit the glass. But Lydon and Richardson will have to carry the team offensively.

If only it were that simple...

Getting one guy to 20 ppg would be an accomplishment we haven't seen since Hak in 2005. Getting both around 20 would be something we haven't seen in a very, very long time. Heck, we haven't had 2 15ppg scorers in a single season since 2009. I'd have to guess both will be around 15-18. Expecting Battle to be a double digit scorer right away might be pushing it too. With the pace JB has been running, we should probably expect around 70-72 ppg. Hopefully, we'll have a much improved defensive unit and can really hit the glass. But Lydon and Richardson will have to carry the team offensively.
This is true and pace could limit the offensive outputs but I also don't think we've had 2 offensive talents like Lydon and Mal is a long time either.

Battle is the 3rd potential star. There's more than two.

This is true and pace could limit the offensive outputs but I also don't think we've had 2 offensive talents like Lydon and Mal is a long time either.
What does this have to do with Donald Trump?