A look at next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A look at next year

Frank has struggled any time he has been pressured, especially bringing the ball up court. His handle is just not good enough to play a lot minutes, yet. And without much of a scoring game, he can only play so many minutes for a team. Maybe he'll have the Frosh to Soph big jump, but I'm not expecting him to handle more than 15-20 mins per next year. I expect Malachi to see 35+ and Battle to see around 25.

I think Frank has a pretty good handle for a PG his size and, while he doesn't break pressure easily (yet), he rarely has the ball stripped. I know this might not mean much based on what we're working with this season, but Frank has the best ballhandling on the team this year.

Yes, by a few games. But I wasn't proclaiming how loaded we were like many were. And we were loaded last year too, from what I remember numerous people saying.

Next year could be a very good rebounding and defensive team, if things break as many hope. We'll certainly have the size and hopefully the experience/understanding to be very effective. But, I think it'll be a weak offensive team, again, outside of Lydon/Mal.

I wouldn't say many were calling this team loaded. Maybe a few were, but expectations weren't sky high.

I don;t think that Roberson has to improve to make for a great season. IMHO, he is the most likely to lose playing time anyways. Lydon could start at the "4" and Moyer at the 3. Or have Howard start and Richardson at the 3. And even a further outside chance would be have Coleman at the 4 and Chukwu start at center.

I really like the idea of Mal at the 3 for stretches too. It will depend on match ups of course, but I would expect to see times when FH runs the point with Mamba on his wing, Mal hovering around the arc, and either TRob crashing the glass or Lydon playing a stretch 4. Those lineups will work with either DC or Chukwu in the middle, and Mal has shown he can play there in the zone. I could see a lineup of FH, Mamba, Mal, Lydon and either C really getting out and running, and getting about any shot they wanted.

Battle is the 3rd potential star. There's more than two.
Let's hope so. I just think it's a bit early to expect him to be a double digit scorer next year. We'll see. Hope so!

There could well be another piece to the puzzle. That would be if Thompson decides to commit.

For me the #1 think I'm excited about is two BIG wings that can rebound. If you look at any time we've done damage, it's with two legit forwards in the zone that can rebound (Hak/Melo, Wes/RickJ, Rak/Joseph, Fair/Southerland-Grant)

Last two years with G and Richardson has been rough.

Just having a rim protector (Chukwu) for some of the game will stop a lot of nonsense inside.

There could well be another piece to the puzzle. That would be if Thompson decides to commit.
Interesting point. How do you think he feels now that DC has decided to stay another year? Curious.

Coleman at the 4 would be disastrous. He's way too slow to play that spot. No way he could go from corner to foul line extended to the lane.

That's why its an outside chance.

Hey, how about this! PG- Battle SG- Lydon SF - Roberson PF - Coleman C - Chukwu!!

I know the ball-handling will be a little weak, but look at that length!!!!

* I'm not serious, I'm just getting this ridiculously dumb post that someone makes every year out of the way now.

The season is on the line this Saturday but thought I'd take a quick look at next year and get your feedback.

Point guard- Tyus Battle, Frank Howard, Caleb Joseph
Shooting guard- Malachi Richardson, Tyus Battle
Center- Dejuan Coleman, Pascal Chukwu
Power Forward- Tyler Roberson, Tyler Lydon
Small Foward- Tyler Lydon, Matthew Moyer

Next year's squad could be a special team. We will struggle early but get better as the season goes on. Hopefully Lydon puts on some weight and truly becomes our inside/outside threat. Also hoping Richardson takes on the leadership role.

Imagine facing a zone with Battle @ 6'6", Richardson 6'6", Chukwu 7'3", Lydon 6'9", Roberson 6'10"

I've stood next to Roberson and we're the same height or he may have a quarter inch on me. I'm 6'7".

I've stood next to Roberson and we're the same height or he may have a quarter inch on me. I'm 6'7".
Have you stood next to Lydon?

Just having a rim protector (Chukwu) for some of the game will stop a lot of nonsense inside.
Having a rim protector and solid depth at the position could allow us to press.
th

Interesting point. How do you think he feels now that DC has decided to stay another year? Curious.

He really is a PF. I see him being able to get enough mins, if warranted, at both positions. If the staff let's him know that is their intentions, it would be great catch. Imagine the possibilities/options on that back line. I found a story posted today on Scout that referenced Coleman's decision to stay and comment from Thompson's Mom.

Last edited:
The season is on the line this Saturday but thought I'd take a quick look at next year and get your feedback.

Point guard- Tyus Battle, Frank Howard, Caleb Joseph
Shooting guard- Malachi Richardson, Tyus Battle
Center- Dejuan Coleman, Pascal Chukwu
Power Forward- Tyler Roberson, Tyler Lydon
Small Foward- Tyler Lydon, Matthew Moyer

Next year's squad could be a special team. We will struggle early but get better as the season goes on. Hopefully Lydon puts on some weight and truly becomes our inside/outside threat. Also hoping Richardson takes on the leadership role.

Imagine facing a zone with Battle @ 6'6", Richardson 6'6", Chukwu 7'3", Lydon 6'9", Roberson 6'10"

That's probably the starting lineup next year but there's a couple of interesting combos that we could see.

Whoa whoa, haven't we outplayed your expectations this year?!?

This team has greatly exceeded my expectations. I doubt anyone realistically expected this team to be NCAA tournament worthy. The off-season lineup looked like Joseph at PG, Cooney at SG, Gbinije at SF, Roberson
at PF, and Coleman (hopefully) at C. With great hopes that Joseph would improve dramatically from his Freshman season and Coleman's knees would hold up. I read many comments that Richardson was over-rated and heard little
about Lydon being an impact player. So, every thing considered, the possibility of being in the tourney by winning our 2 known remaining games, or maybe even by going 1-1, is incredible.