A message to Sal Maneen | Syracusefan.com

A message to Sal Maneen

SWC75

Bored Historian
I've been listening to Orange Nation on FM 97.7 the last few weeks. It replaced Upon Further Review and is now right after Bud and the Manchild. It's hosted by Steve Infanti and Sal Maneen.

Earlier this week I called in to report that SU has a 45 year streak of winning seasons, that only Louisville (46) and UCLA (54) were ahead of them and that to insure the streak would continue we needed to finish the non-conference schedule at 10-3 and then go at least 7-11 in conference. Then they would 17-14 at the end fo the regular season and even with one and done in the ACC and NIT tournaments, we'd be 17-16 and the streak would continue.

Both of them went off on this the first time I called, alleging that I was predicting a losing season and saying that "the sky is falling", neither of which I was saying.

I called back today on another topic but took the occasion to try to explain that I was simply stating the minimum achievement I wanted to see from this team. I said that i felt the need to restate it because "this is the most questionable team we've had in a while". This set Maneen off again. he said that this wasn't a questionable team at all, citing the fact that "they are still getting votes for the top 25". He again went into a diatribe about people thinking the sky is falling. and cut me off before I could respond. Obviously intending to mock me he announced "We're going to lose to Cornell. We might as well stop the season right now!" Even Infanti was shocked as his response.

I couldn't find an E-mail address for his show at their website, (all they have is their national shows) but I did find a general E-mail address for the station and sent this to Maneen, asking them to forward it:

"Dear Sal,

I do not appreciate being cut off and I do not appreciate having words put in my mouth. I have not predicted a losing season. I have not said the sky is falling. I have not said that we are going to lose to Cornell. I have not said that the season might as well stop right now. Here is what I was trying to say.

We have a 45 year steak of winning seasons that this program should be very proud of. At a minimum, to guarantee the continuation of that streak we have to (1) finish out the non-conference schedule 10-3; and (2) Go at least 7-11 in the ACC. That would give us a 17-14 regular season record and even if we lost in the first round of both the ACC tournament and the NIT, we would still be 17-16 and the steak would continue. That is not our ceiling of accomplishment. It is our floor: the minimum we want to accomplish.

I’m hopeful that they could do better than that, maybe a lot better. This team has clear strengths: outside shooting, veteran leadership from Gbinije and Cooney, a couple of talented young stars in Lydon in Richardson, height around the perimeter, etc. We could see improvement in Coleman, Howard and Joseph as the season goes along. Our Hall of Fame coach will be returning to the bench. We looked good in the Bahamas and showed we could beat good teams. We’ve had years with worse stretches than this make it to the Final Four, as happened in 2013. I’m certainly not giving up on the season.

But they also have significant problems, or at least questions, and significant challenges. Jim Boeheim has noted that on his show. He’s said that this team is his weakest in the middle in a long time, that our defense against Georgetown and St. John’s was poor, that we are dependent on the outside shot and don’t’ really have any alternatives. He’s said the ACC this year is the deepest league he’s seen, that the bottom teams are way better than they were last year. Am I supposed to ignore this? Jim has also said that the team and coaches are working very hard and he expects them to get better as the season progresses. I hope they do. But we’ve had teams that did not improve and if this one doesn’t, there’s no guarantee that we will win 7 ACC games, although I very much expect that we will be 10-3 going into the conference schedule. Therefore the winning season streak would appear to be in some degree of jeopardy and I wanted to alert the fans to the minimum this team must accomplish to keep it going.

I don’t think that warranted your angry response. Please let me know if you want me to be calling into your show again or not. "

It will be interesting to see what kind of response, if any, I get.

You're dealing with a sports talk radio guy looking to stir the pot and drive listeners to his show. He likely has no idea who you are or how you might benefit his show as a regular caller and contributor. You probably should have low expectations regarding a response unless Infanti or some other sane person intervenes.

Axe can be a douche with his takes, but he is a very good dude in real life. Maneen is HORRIBLE on air and a complete douchenozzle in real life. Just a bad guy. Don't sweat it

Axe can be a douche with his takes, but he is a very good dude in real life. Maneen is HORRIBLE on air and a complete douchenozzle in real life. Just a bad guy. Don't sweat it

What have heard about him off the air? :eat popcorn:

I don’t think that warranted your angry response. Please let me know if you want me to be calling into your show again or not. "

Not worth worrying about for several reasons:

1. It's sports

2. It's radio

3. They're sports talk hosts

It's not much different from what goes on here on this board except it's on radio, they're getting paid, and they're trying to get an audience to sell to advertisers so that they can keep getting paid.
The guy is trying to do schtick. You - and all callers - are there to help that effort.

To paraphrase the great philosopher Mongo, we're all just pawns in the talk radio game.

I've been listening to Orange Nation on FM 97.7 the last few weeks. It replaced Upon Further Review and is now right after Bud and the Manchild. It's hosted by Steve Infanti and Sal Maneen.

Earlier this week I called in to report that SU has a 45 year streak of winning seasons, that only Louisville (46) and UCLA (54) were ahead of them and that to insure the streak would continue we needed to finish the non-conference schedule at 10-3 and then go at least 7-11 in conference. Then they would 17-14 at the end fo the regular season and even with one and done in the ACC and NIT tournaments, we'd be 17-16 and the streak would continue.

Both of them went off on this the first time I called, alleging that I was predicting a losing season and saying that "the sky is falling", neither of which I was saying.

I called back today on another topic but took the occasion to try to explain that I was simply stating the minimum achievement I wanted to see from this team. I said that i felt the need to restate it because "this is the most questionable team we've had in a while". This set Maneen off again. he said that this wasn't a questionable team at all, citing the fact that "they are still getting votes for the top 25". He again went into a diatribe about people thinking the sky is falling. and cut me off before I could respond. Obviously intending to mock me he announced "We're going to lose to Cornell. We might as well stop the season right now!" Even Infanti was shocked as his response.

I couldn't find an E-mail address for his show at their website, (all they have is their national shows) but I did find a general E-mail address for the station and sent this to Maneen, asking them to forward it:

"Dear Sal,

I do not appreciate being cut off and I do not appreciate having words put in my mouth. I have not predicted a losing season. I have not said the sky is falling. I have not said that we are going to lose to Cornell. I have not said that the season might as well stop right now. Here is what I was trying to say.

We have a 45 year steak of winning seasons that this program should be very proud of. At a minimum, to guarantee the continuation of that streak we have to (1) finish out the non-conference schedule 10-3; and (2) Go at least 7-11 in the ACC. That would give us a 17-14 regular season record and even if we lost in the first round of both the ACC tournament and the NIT, we would still be 17-16 and the steak would continue. That is not our ceiling of accomplishment. It is our floor: the minimum we want to accomplish.

I’m hopeful that they could do better than that, maybe a lot better. This team has clear strengths: outside shooting, veteran leadership from Gbinije and Cooney, a couple of talented young stars in Lydon in Richardson, height around the perimeter, etc. We could see improvement in Coleman, Howard and Joseph as the season goes along. Our Hall of Fame coach will be returning to the bench. We looked good in the Bahamas and showed we could beat good teams. We’ve had years with worse stretches than this make it to the Final Four, as happened in 2013. I’m certainly not giving up on the season.

But they also have significant problems, or at least questions, and significant challenges. Jim Boeheim has noted that on his show. He’s said that this team is his weakest in the middle in a long time, that our defense against Georgetown and St. John’s was poor, that we are dependent on the outside shot and don’t’ really have any alternatives. He’s said the ACC this year is the deepest league he’s seen, that the bottom teams are way better than they were last year. Am I supposed to ignore this? Jim has also said that the team and coaches are working very hard and he expects them to get better as the season progresses. I hope they do. But we’ve had teams that did not improve and if this one doesn’t, there’s no guarantee that we will win 7 ACC games, although I very much expect that we will be 10-3 going into the conference schedule. Therefore the winning season streak would appear to be in some degree of jeopardy and I wanted to alert the fans to the minimum this team must accomplish to keep it going.

His loss. Intelligent discussions with callers who exhibit your knowledge and insight could only enhance the quality of his show.

Last edited:

1. It's sports

2. It's radio

It's not much different from what goes on here on this board except it's on radio, they're getting paid, and they're trying to get an audience to sell to advertisers so that they can keep getting paid.
The guy is trying to do schtick. You - and all callers - are there to help that effort.

To paraphrase the great philosopher Mongo, we're all just pawns in the talk radio game.

I've had almost all positive experiences calling into local radio shows and have enjoyed listening to them, including Orange Nation. I hope to continue doing so.

I've had almost all positive experiences calling into local radio shows and have enjoyed listening to them, including Orange Nation. I hope to continue doing so.

Fair enough, but writing that letter wasn't worth your time.

i have a fantastic eggs benedict recipe from my good buddy sal manella.

You sir, have a most fertile imagination, compounded by way too much time on your hands. And I say that with awe. :)

Waynes-World-Were-not-Worthy.gif

But he does have something to say worth listening to.

"If you waste your time a-talkin' to the people who don't listen,
"To the things that you are sayin', who do you think's gonna hear?
"And if you should die explainin' how the things that they complain about,
"Are things they could be changin', who do you think's gonna care?"

There were other lonely singers in a world turned deaf and blind,
Who were crucified for what they tried to show.
And their voices have been scattered by the swirling winds of time.
'Cause the truth remains that no one wants to know."

~Kris Kristofferson, To Beat The Devil

No reason not to enjoy them...that's why they're on the air.
And hosts & shows aren't all the same...(although they often sound it).
But it's mostly a game.

For example, in doing talk radio it took a while for me to learn why it's actually useful to hang up on most callers while I was still responding to them.
It's not to be rude.
It's because otherwise the caller usually comes back with another point or a different topic and the call drags on beyond the point of interest.
Gotta keep the show moving...just part of the game.

Col. Bleep said:

1. It's sports

2. It's radio

I get the gist of what your saying, but Steve is probably the best local caller around and well respected on all other shows.

Sal just happens to be the worst local guy, and that's saying something with Mike L on the airwaves.

His attitude and reaction is just further proof of that. I mean coaches look forward to his questions and know who he is, the show would be better with more Steve and less Sal.

No reason not to enjoy them...that's why they're on the air.
And hosts & shows aren't all the same...(although they often sound it).
But it's mostly a game.

For example, in doing talk radio it took a while for me to learn why it's actually useful to hang up on most callers while I was still responding to them.
It's not to be rude.
It's because otherwise the caller usually comes back with another point or a different topic and the call drags on beyond the point of interest.
Gotta keep the show moving...just part of the game.

That wasn't to keep the show moving.

That wasn't to keep the show moving.
Even if it was meant to be rude...callers can't take it personally.
It's a game.
There were very few callers I ever recognized (likely so because I had very few callers in the first place...but that's another story).
The few I did remember was because they generally said such stupid things I could use them as foils to do funny stuff.

Maybe it'll be different in a small market like Syracuse, but you probably can expect your email to be ignored.
People doing these shows often either think they don't have time to respond or just don't care.
And the longer the email the less likelihood someone will even read it.

Even if it was meant to be rude...callers can't take it personally.
It's a game.
There were very few callers I ever recognized (likely so because I had very few callers in the first place...but that's another story).
The few I did remember was because they generally said such stupid things I could use them as foils to do funny stuff.

Maybe it'll be different in a small market like Syracuse, but you probably can expect your email to be ignored.
People doing these shows often either think they don't have time to respond or just don't care.
And the longer the email the less likelihood someone will even read it.

The shows here have been very straight forward and encourage fans to discuss sports issues with them. It may be a "game" in the big cities but not here. That's why I like local programming. And I've been cut off many times before when I it was clear they we trying to move the show along. It never bothered me. The difference here was that he totally misrepresented what i had said after he'd cut me off and I had no chance to respond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom