A simple stat that speaks volumes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A simple stat that speaks volumes

Benny is terrible this year; likely the most overhyped freshman we’ve ever had. Jimmy’s the best PF we have this year.

Yes, that's mostly true. But Jimmy was terrible the last 2 games and clearly should have played fewer minutes, while Benny is trending upward, even if he's not there yet.

Oh, please.

He’s playing Jimmy a lot because Benny just doesn’t contribute consistently enough to earn more PT.

In a perfect world, Benny comes in like OSB or Quincy or hell, Mali or Lydon or Battle -
And he’s good enough to earn 20+ minutes a game.

Which then reduces Jimmy & Coles minutes.

We’ve got 3 Forwards, and 80 minutes between them.
By default, if Benny can’t play well enough to get more of them, then they must go to Jimmy &/or Cole.
And that is part of the issue. Not sure what we can do. But I thought Benny was a bit better today. He definitely needs more strength. We lost tonight due to turnovers and that is another sticky problem for this squad.

Yes, that's mostly true. But Jimmy was terrible the last 2 games and clearly should have played fewer minutes, while Benny is trending upward, even if he's not there yet.
Benny is trending up? Sorry, but i don’t see it this year. He’s hit 1 3-point shot all year. He’s athletic but it doesn't translate on the court, except for a few blocks this year.

Oh, please.

He’s playing Jimmy a lot because Benny just doesn’t contribute consistently enough to earn more PT.

In a perfect world, Benny comes in like OSB or Quincy or hell, Mali or Lydon or Battle -

By default, if Benny can’t play well enough to get more of them, then they must go to Jimmy &/or Cole.

Buddy should play the 3 against small teams with Symir starting.

I think we'd see that lineup if it didn't result in Jimmy sitting.

Benny is terrible this year; likely the most overhyped freshman we’ve ever had. Jimmy’s the best PF we have this year.
Its pretty sad this is the best Syracuse can put forward, but as it’s been stated numerous times, it falls on the coaches horrible roster construction.

Oh, please.

Im a proponent of more 3 guard lineup. Buddy won’t rebound any worse than Jimmy.

Cut the F minutes that way, as well as Benny if he shows something. He’s looked a bit better the last couple games.

not sure why we even debate it anymore. he is playing jimmy so much because its his son. jb doesnt care. i just dont think anyones done it on this high of a level. usually this is middle school stuff.
I agree - its crazy but why is anyone surprised. JB is bigger than the program and he didn't bring his kids here to sit and be role players.

Benny is trending up? Sorry, but i don’t see it this year. He’s hit 1 3-point shot all year. He’s athletic but it doesn't translate on the court, except for a few blocks this year.
He played much better defense last night than either other forward. Scoring is NOT the only important aspect of basketball

Absolutely correct; JAB’s worse job constructing his team. With Rick Pitino‘s pressure Defense I’ll think Iona could beat Syracuse this year.

Anytime I've ever mentioned Rick Pitino taking over (not from everybody here), I always seem to see negative feedback. Rick would do a complete 180 with Syracuse.

James was brought in as a placeholder for Benny, to try to win some early games until Benny got up to speed. I fully expect to see Benny starting, maybe Saturday at Wake.

James was brought in as a placeholder for Benny, to try to win some early games until Benny got up to speed. I fully expect to see Benny starting, maybe Saturday at Wake.

accurate-id4.gif

Benny appeared to be up to speed in the first half, yet got almost no run in the second half.

Why didn’t Benny come in the second half last night? Before foul outs then?

Anyone and everyone saw we needed athleticism to bring that press but James never came out.
Expecting James minutes to go down is wishful thinking.

Why didn’t Benny come in the second half last night? Before foul outs then?

Anyone and everyone saw we needed athleticism to bring that press but James never came out.
Expecting James minutes to go down is wishful thinking.
I just feel like the reason he brought James on the team instead of another talented forward is because James would accept that as his role. I think Benny is getting more capable everyday and I think it might be time. JMO.

I just feel like the reason he brought James on the team instead of another talented forward is because James would accept that as his role. I think Benny is getting more capable everyday and I think it might be time. JMO.
Evidence presented to date seems to indicate that Jimmy is here because JB wanted to coach both his boys. Minutes to date backs that up.

Evidence presented to date seems to indicate that Jimmy is here because JB wanted to coach both his boys. Minutes to date backs that up.
You could draw that conclusion, it could be erroneous.

There was no post-game on ESPN Syracuse or CuseSportsTalk.com so I didn't watch the presser live. Haven't had time to watch it on here yet. Did read JB's post-game quote about "Internet people" in Waters' story in Syracuse. com. Guilty as charged. I am definitely "Internet people." At least he didn't call us Internet trolls.

Last edited:
James accept his role? To what play more than he did at Cornell per game?

My god the HC treats James like he is our best forward. Which should have never been his role.

James accept his role? To what play more than he did at Cornell per game?

My god the HC treats James like he is our best forward. Which should have never been his role.
His role is to be a quality starter and give Benny time to adjust and then come in as a 6th man when Benny is ready and not throw a tantrum fit about it, like some other talented portal guy might do.

There’s gonna be a tonnnnnn of rock kicking this year.

That’s all I know.

If coach had just giving me a chance I could’ve changed the trajectory of this team years and years ago.

Ooooooooooooooo what could’ve been.

All the suggestions about lineup changes are just deck chairs on the Titanic type stuff. Our 8 guys are our 8 guys. We are what we are. We'll win a few games for all the reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum here. But this team is mediocre at best, and there's no changing that unless the NCAA starts allowing trades.

It's time for Benny to start now. He is the crown jewel in SU recruiting for some time and they brought him along slowly and didn't put him in tough spots where he could fail and hurt his development, but he is ready now. Also the load on James is too much and it's showing in his play and affecting Buddy as well. Benny will respond to being made a starter and James will flourish off the bench. It's time to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom