A Syracuse house of horrors is no more | Syracusefan.com

A Syracuse house of horrors is no more

kirbivore

2019 Cali Award (Passing Yards)
Cole Field house is being torn down and rebuilt as an indoor football practice facility. That was the site of the 1991 Richmond first round loss, aka the first time a 2 lost to a 15. That game was on a Thursday night, and we had the next day off from school, one of those teacher development days. I was in junior high. One of my buddies had a camp out in an abandoned gravel pit next to his house, so I got hammered on smuggled booze and listened to that debacle on the radio. To this day I still have not watched that game.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/dmv/r...=desktop&utm_medium=related&utm_campaign=push

Last edited:
I was living in Lawrinson. We were yelling random obscenities out our windows all night long. Adding insult to injury, a guy I went to high school with was a cheerleader for Richmond. Billy Owens had a particularly poor game; he just seemed out of it.

Last edited:
kirbivore said:
Cole Field house is being torn down and rebuilt as an indoor football practice facility. That was the site of the 1991 Richmond first round loss, aka the first time a 2 lost to a 15. That game was on a Thursday night, and we had the next day off from school, one of those teacher development days. I was in junior high. One of my buddies had a camp out in an abandoned gravel pit next to his house, so I got hammered on smuggled booze and listened to that debacle on the radio. To this day I still have not watched that game. http://www.barstoolsports.com/dmv/r...=desktop&utm_medium=related&utm_campaign=push
That was the first NCAA game I attended in person not played in Syracuse.

Brutal game. The crowd started out neutral but when it became clear the Spiders had a chance, they became overwhelmingly pro-Richmond.

I think a couple of SU players had bad colds. That team didn't have great chemistry. Horrible ending for the career of Billy Owens, one of the best players in SU history, whose reputation was forever damaged by this game.

The drive home after the game was especially bad. Every radio station we tuned in was talking about the game, and most of the people talking were really gleeful about a team from the South beating a team from the North.

Cole Field House was a dump. I am glad it is finally gone.

Junior at SU. Was working in Subway in Marshall Street Mall. Convinced the owner to let me bring a portable TV in to watch the game while I worked. What a bad idea.
Never did see that game, caught most of it on the radio.

I was in school working delivering Chinese Food. Figured I didn't need to take off work to watch because it was going to be a walkover and I preferred to see the weekend game... So much for that plan.

Never did see that game, caught most of it on the radio.

I was in school working delivering Chinese Food. Figured I didn't need to take off work to watch because it was going to be a walkover and I preferred to see the weekend game... So much for that plan.
Same deal. I worked that night to keep the weekend free to watch the tourney all day. After we lost I couldn't bring myself to watch any other games all weekend long

Scheduled elective surgery around the tournament. Got home from the hospital on Friday. Game threw my recovery backwards. My mom, who had flown in from Wisconsin to take care of me, said, "It's okay, honey, you still have the entire tournament to watch."

The only time my Sainted mother grotesquely missed the boat.

Sophomore in college. Watched the game on TV at a party with another SU fan, in stunned silence as the rest of the people watching rooted on Richmond.

Tom's summary above sums it up. But what he didn't mention is that this first round NCAA loss came on the heels of a first round BET loss to Villanova, when we were the #1 seed and had an 18 point second half lead, but somehow blew it.

Those two games really sunk Owen's legacy, because he was one of the all-time program greats. Same way that Moten's TO taints an otherwise superlative career.

Senior at IC. We were on spring break in West Palm Beach and out on the town. Only SU NCAA tourney game ever I didn't watch. Some drunk in the bar told me they lost. Of course I told him "yeah right". Pre-internet, and ESPN scroll, I sat at the bar and waited for SportCenter to come on. Needless to say, I will never opt to miss a tourney game again. The poor choices of 21 year olds...:bang:

I literally turned one month old on the day of the game. I can only assume I was blissfully unaware.

Cole Field house is being torn down and rebuilt as an indoor football practice facility. That was the site of the 1991 Richmond first round loss, aka the first time a 2 lost to a 15. That game was on a Thursday night, and we had the next day off from school, one of those teacher development days. I was in junior high. One of my buddies had a camp out in an abandoned gravel pit next to his house, so I got hammered on smuggled booze and listened to that debacle on the radio. To this day I still have not watched that game.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/dmv/r...=desktop&utm_medium=related&utm_campaign=push
It's the last tournament game that watched,or will ever watch again, with a group of people that cared little about the result. They all looked at me with fear for their lives in their eyes. I'm not sure if I've ever seen any of those people after that night including my ex- wife.

I thought this was going to be a thread about the dome no longer being intimidating :noidea:

Seriously just nuke this thread...too depressing
Actually, I like it. It's a way for us to bond and to remind ourselves that Syracuse fans are made of stern stuff. Seriously STERN Stuff. I know all fans think they suffer but . . . . come on! And you know what they say about suffering.

I was on a trip to Raleigh NC and the TV coverage was not like it is today. The game NC got was I believe Coastal Carolina and Indiana. Ugh. So I got in my car and searched the AM dial and lo-and-behold I got I believe WHAM in Rochester that had the Doug Logan broadcast. How horrible it was listening to that game. About 5 min to go I went inside the room and since it was an upset brewing, the Raleigh station cut to the disgusting end. Double whammy was we knew that was Billy Owens last game.

CorduroyG said:
I was in 6th grade. I was so depressed i didnt want to go to school on friday so i pulled a ferris bueller.

Lol. I called in sick and the next day came in to see that some joker had left a tape of "Arachnaphobia" on my desk.

I was in the Marine Corps at the time and had just gotten back from a NATO mission where we spent the last 33 days 120 miles north of the arctic circle. The game did not give me warm fuzzies and help thaw me out.

This is nothing to brag about, but I actually called that loss. Just had a bad feeling. All my co-workers thought I was nuts. I feel dirty

I literally turned one month old on the day of the game. I can only assume I was blissfully unaware.

You probably subconsciously dropped an out-of-the-diaper BM out of disgust.

Everyone remembers the Richmond loss, but if we don't lose to Villanova in the BET quarters where we led 63-47 with 9 minutes left, SU probably gets a 1 seed and doesn't even have to play Richmond.

This is nothing to brag about, but I actually called that loss. Just had a bad feeling. All my co-workers thought I was nuts. I feel dirty

Bud Poliquin had his sun shines on a dog's ass some days moment with that game. I remember his column on the Monday before that game. It was an A-Z guide to the tournament, and under S he wrote something like be very afraid of those Spiders.

Everyone remembers the Richmond loss, but if we don't lose to Villanova in the BET quarters where we led 63-47 with 9 minutes left, SU probably gets a 1 seed and doesn't even have to play Richmond.

That loss to Nova was so bizarre. SU had gone 9-1 to finish that regular season. An out of nowhere 2 game losing streak at the end that tarnished a great season.

was enrolled at SU at the time living on Comstock, having just transferred from American, who at the time was in the CAA with the Spiders.

- I had to take a looooot of crap from my AU boys over that
- one of my new SU friends had a "feeling" so he took Richmond in a half dozen pools around campus. he won them all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom