A Syracuse vs. Villanova Final? | Syracusefan.com

A Syracuse vs. Villanova Final?

JDubbin

The ONLY Syracuse Sneakers Avatar Guy
I've been wondering about this question since watching the Championship game between Nova and UNC (great game to watch). How do you think a Syracuse vs. Villanova final would have played out, had the Orange defeated UNC? Maybe this thread is just coming at a weird time and it will not generate much response, but I'm genuinely interested in hearing how you think the game would have gone, how it would have been played and who would have won. Let's have it!

My response. I honestly think Villanova would have won by double digits. They just seemed to have the right mixture of chemistry and momentum, not matter who they were matched up again. I think players like Jenkins and Hart are a tough matchup for the Orange, Ochefu's ability to bang around and post up would have been tough as well. Even if 'cuse would played solid D, the lack of consistent offensive punch for the Orange I believe would have put us in a hole, scrambling in trunk monkey comeback mode to make up the deficit. Love the Orange, but I think it's an L in the 'ship vs. Nova.

P.S. I hate this LONG wait until next season, cannot wait to see Battle, Moyer, Chukwu & maybe some mystery others suited up for March Madness and those first exhibition games (which will inevitably cost me $10+ on crappy Orange Access;)).

But we could have used our secret weapon---Kaleb Joseph. Last year (when Nova was seeded even higher, as a 1-seed), we nearly knocked them off on the road with Joseph playing all 45 minutes -- had 10 points, 10 assists, and 3 steals.

0.jpg

Nova, 62-50.

Pace slows; we make them work for baskets but struggle to generate any for ourselves; Gbinije ends his slump but has no help as Coon-man, Richardson, and Lydon begin slumps of their own; we complain about the officiating longer and more bitterly than Carolina fans in the real-life version of this.

I've been wondering about this question since watching the Championship game between Nova and UNC (great game to watch). How do you think a Syracuse vs. Villanova final would have played out, had the Orange defeated UNC? Maybe this thread is just coming at a weird time and it will not generate much response, but I'm genuinely interested in hearing how you think the game would have gone, how it would have been played and who would have won. Let's have it!

My response. I honestly think Villanova would have won by double digits. They just seemed to have the right mixture of chemistry and momentum, not matter who they were matched up again. I think players like Jenkins and Hart are a tough matchup for the Orange, Ochefu's ability to bang around and post up would have been tough as well. Even if 'cuse would played solid D, the lack of consistent offensive punch for the Orange I believe would have put us in a hole, scrambling in trunk monkey comeback mode to make up the deficit. Love the Orange, but I think it's an L in the 'ship vs. Nova.

P.S. I hate this LONG wait until next season, cannot wait to see Battle, Moyer, Chukwu & maybe some mystery others suited up for March Madness and those first exhibition games (which will inevitably cost me $10+ on crappy Orange Access;)).

Providence beat Villanova at home and played 2-3 zone the whole second half (maybe the first but I did not watch it). I was hoping and praying we beat UNC. Playing Villanova would have been the game of the century!

Here's what I do. I play Fantasy Football. It makes September through November go quicker.

SU would have struggled to score, and SU would have struggled to stop Nova from scoring. Nova by 15.

JDubbin said:
I've been wondering about this question since watching the Championship game between Nova and UNC (great game to watch). How do you think a Syracuse vs. Villanova final would have played out, had the Orange defeated UNC? Maybe this thread is just coming at a weird time and it will not generate much response, but I'm genuinely interested in hearing how you think the game would have gone, how it would have been played and who would have won. Let's have it! My response. I honestly think Villanova would have won by double digits. They just seemed to have the right mixture of chemistry and momentum, not matter who they were matched up again. I think players like Jenkins and Hart are a tough matchup for the Orange, Ochefu's ability to bang around and post up would have been tough as well. Even if 'cuse would played solid D, the lack of consistent offensive punch for the Orange I believe would have put us in a hole, scrambling in trunk monkey comeback mode to make up the deficit. Love the Orange, but I think it's an L in the 'ship vs. Nova. P.S. I hate this LONG wait until next season, cannot wait to see Battle, Moyer, Chukwu & maybe some mystery others suited up for March Madness and those first exhibition games (which will inevitably cost me $10+ on crappy Orange Access;)).

Football will be exciting this year. I'd get a seat on the bandwagon early. It starts earlier and usually flows into hoops season nicely.

Plus a Baber's offense might put up basketball numbers ;)

Football will be exciting this year. I'd get a seat on the bandwagon early. It starts earlier and usually flows into hoops season nicely.

Plus a Baber's offense might put up basketball numbers ;)
These responses are puzzling to me, haha... OrangeYaGladi what am I letting go of, exactly? That I like to discuss basketball and was wondering how people thought a Nova and 'cuse matchup would play out? Sorry for holding that so tightly?

TheCusian, I'm on the Syracuse Football & FBall recruiting boards as well as the Basketball/BBall recruiting boards, I am very excited about what Baber's offense brings... so, I think it means I've had a seat on the bandwagon already? Thanks for the recruiting effort though. What does that have to do with my basketball question, exactly?

Cooney hits an off balance three with 4 seconds left to give SU a 1 point lead.

Archieandveronica answers with a 60 footer at the buzzer. Oh Lord
not again :bang:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom