academic scandal | Syracusefan.com

academic scandal

tbonezone

Living Legend
tonite will mark JB'S return from our ncaa suspension. i'm sure the announcers will play it up. any chance we hear anything about north carolina and their academic fraud charges ? i haven't heard anything all season.

Over a span of 18 years, 3,100 students (47 percent of which were athletes) at UNC took advantage of Afro-American Studies courses which allowed them to receive quality grades without having to show up for class, turn in papers or take tests. It's one of the most wide-ranging academic scandals of all-time, and a prestigious university and celebrated basketball program are at the heart of it. All this comes at a time when respect for the NCAA and faith in the principles it claims to uphold are at an all-time low. If ever there was a story that deserved full-circle treatment for at least a week after breaking, this would seem to be it.

star.png
NORTH CAROLINA SCANDAL
star.png

How the UNC scandal hurts the NCAA's future
Kevin Trahan

The 5 most important details from the UNC report
Mike Fiammetta

No...and I don't expect them to play up our violations either.

They punished UNC in an under the table settlement.

It was determined that state of North Carolina would only host the first weekend of the NCAA tournament in 19 of the next 20 tournaments, rather than 20 of the next 20.

It was determined that state of North Carolina would only host the first weekend of the NCAA tournament in 19 of the next 20 tournaments, rather than 20 of the next 20.

No way they would punish Duke like that for UNC's indiscretions. I fully expect it to be restored to 20 out of 20 upon appeal.

No way they would punish Duke like that for UNC's indiscretions. I fully expect it to be restored to 20 out of 20 upon appeal.

Duke figured they owed the NCAA one for their lack of investigation in the Lance Thomas case.

Not in ESPN's wheelhouse.

Unc Greensboro better watch out, the ncaa is pissed.

tonite will mark JB'S return from our ncaa suspension. i'm sure the announcers will play it up. any chance we hear anything about north carolina and their academic fraud charges ? i haven't heard anything all season.
NCAA won't do anything to UNC because they don't want to make Roy Williams cry.

Or Carlos Boozer. His mom moved down from Alaska and had a pretty sweet working gig for the time he was in Durham.
Chris Duhon's mom moved from La., where her house was in foreclosure, to Durham where she got a $45K job that previously did not exist, with a Duke grad and huge backer. Duhon had a Lexus on campus.
Team

Trajon Langdon's dad, a teacher at some college in Alaska, got a gig as a visiting professor at Duke.

Chris Duhon's mom moved from La., where her house was in foreclosure, to Durham where she got a $45K job that previously did not exist, with a Duke grad and huge backer. Duhon had a Lexus on campus.
Team

Trajon Langdon's dad, a teacher at some college in Alaska, got a gig as a visiting professor at Duke.

Seems legit to me...

That all sounds legit. When you enter a system like Duke who does everything by the book, you get fine upstanding citizens like Brian Davis and Christian Laettner. It's all about respect and honour.

Don't throw rocks,Derrick had a brand new Jeep his senior year and didn't have to pay for it until he signed his contract, and Pearl used to walk out of Mickey D's with bags full of food . It happens everywhere but for some reason they hate us so we get the hammer.

Would not surprise me if they got a death penalty. I give no credence to idle speculation that the ncaa is scared of certain schools. The problem with the NC investigation was that the ncaa does not evaluate the legitimacy of classes and we would not want them to do so. The deciding factor for NC is that their regional academic crediting organization ruled the classes as not credit worthy. The ruling sealed their fate, and deservedly so.

well and let's not confuse duke and carolina. they are two entirely separate but hated entities. all i was saying was that we got slapped pretty hard by the ncaa for a couple of minor self reported transgressions (lost schollies, tourney ban. suspension and vacated wins ). yet the paper trail evidence and player testimony seems to be overwhelming that the tar heels intentionally and institutionally perpetrated academic fraud for almost 2 decades to keep athletes eligible.
i'd agree with alaska. the justice meted out should be swift and potential lethal to their programs. and that's a big story.
disappointed it never came up on TV especially against syracuse.

Team

This happens, or at least happend everywhere.

Still does Alabama bought their kicker's parents of a few years back a condo so they would have some where to stay for home games. I know these people and they made no bones about telling everyone they knew about it

Don't throw rocks,Derrick had a brand new Jeep his senior year and didn't have to pay for it until he signed his contract, and Pearl used to walk out of Mickey D's with bags full of food . It happens everywhere but for some reason they hate us so we get the hammer.

Mickey D's bags full of food, he must have been getting a fortune, you could walk out with a Mickey D's bag of food for like Ten bucks, esp back then.

well and let's not confuse duke and carolina. they are two entirely separate but hated entities. all i was saying was that we got slapped pretty hard by the ncaa for a couple of minor self reported transgressions (lost schollies, tourney ban. suspension and vacated wins ). yet the paper trail evidence and player testimony seems to be overwhelming that the tar heels intentionally and institutionally perpetrated academic fraud for almost 2 decades to keep athletes eligible.
i'd agree with alaska. the justice meted out should be swift and potential lethal to their programs. and that's a big story.
disappointed it never came up on TV especially against syracuse.

The word slapped doesn't cover what we got. We got the most severe penalty ever handed down to a basketball program. JB's personal sanctions were in accordance with a rule that didn't even exist until 4 or 5 years after the investigation started.

So by that standard, North Carolina should be vacating possibly 1000 wins. This would vacate a huge proportion of both Roy Williams and possibly even some of Dean Smith's wins. They will be losing at least two championships. As far as scholarship losses? It boggles the mind, it would have to be 4 per year for 8 years at minimum to compare.

None of that will happen of course because Dean Smith and Roy Williams are nice guys and Boeheim is not. Also, Michael Jordan basically owns Nike which along with elected officials from the state will bring tremendous pressure to bear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom