ACC champion bowl game idea | Syracusefan.com

ACC champion bowl game idea

SUinNYC

2nd String
So...as of this moment, the ACC is looking a little left out in the post-season bowl game match-up department.

The B1G has the PAC 12. The SEC has the BIG 12. The ACC has the...Orange Bowl?

Ok, it seems like everyone has a dance partner except us. But it doesn't have to be that way. And it certainly doesn't mean we have to dance with ugliest girl at the prom (Big East).

What if the ACC made a deal with ALL the other leagues to play a game between our champ and their highest rated team left on the board?

Below are last year's final rankings. With the new playoff system (assuming champs only), LSU would have played Oklahoma State and Oregon would have played Wisconsin, correct? So that would have put Michigan in the Rose Bowl with Stanford and Alabama against Kansas State in the SEC/Big 12 game. So by my rough estimates, the highest team left on the board is Arkansas. So Virginia Tech would play Arkansas in this new game and the ACC and SEC would split the profits. If a B1G or a BIG 12 team was the highest team, we'd play them instead.

Not a bad matchup, and I don't think any league would hesitate at having one of their teams play our champ in a premium game like that.

BCS FINAL STANDINGS - DEC. 4, 2011

1. LSU 1.0000
2. Alabama .9419
3. Oklahoma State .9333
4. Stanford .8476
5. Oregon. 7901
6. Arkansas .7687
7. Boise State .7408
8. Kansas State .6827
9. South Carolina .6553
10. Wisconsin .6374
11. Virginia Tech .5190
12. Baylor .4977
13. Michigan .4794
14. Oklahoma .4603
15. Clemson .4218
16. Georgia .4119
17. Michigan State .3883
18. TCU .3869
19. Houston .3504
20. Nebraska .2606

Just throwing out one idea. Trying to start a dialogue and maybe it will reach the right ears. Seems like ACC needs to think out of the box.

Got a better one? Let me know.

Play best available big east team or nd if they finish in top 10

So that would have put Michigan in the Rose Bowl with Stanford and Alabama against Kansas State in the SEC/Big 12 game.

I just posted in another thread how silly the reaction to the SEC-Big XII bowl is, this post just makes it so much more clear.

Kansas St is treated like the plague when it comes to BCS bowls. One year they were ranked in the top 5 and ended up in the Alamo Bowl.

Is a bowl game that would regularly be forced to have KSU be a participant really something that the ACC can't compete with? This is absurd.

I just posted in another thread how silly the reaction to the SEC-Big XII bowl is, this post just makes it so much more clear.

Kansas St is treated like the plague when it comes to BCS bowls. One year they were ranked in the top 5 and ended up in the Alamo Bowl.

Is a bowl game that would regularly be forced to have KSU be a participant really something that the ACC can't compete with? This is absurd.
I don't disagree with you with regards to this all being absurd. But this more about generating additional revenue on top of the playoff money everyone will be sharing. The ACC is behind the other leagues with regards to income already. There will be no more BCS bowls, so we need to find more more money.

I think the OP has a good idea. This is all about perception of being a "big boy". Drafting up an agreement with ALL the major leagues/independents (Pac, Big 12, BiG, SEC, Big East, ND) where the ACC Champ plays the next highest rated team that doesn't goto the 4 team playoff or the rose bowl or the cotton bowl (or whatever the Big 12/ SEC bowl game is). That would be great for not only the ACC but any other league as well. If the ACC Champ is in the playoffs, then you use the 2nd team. MOST years, you're going to be getting two top 15ish teams playing in a bowl game. I don't see how that can hurt not only the ACC but all of the other leagues.

Just play the best available at-large team in the Orange Bowl. Does everyone forget the Big 12 did this for like 20 years?

So the ACC champion has one of two options: 1) Finish in the top-6 and play in the playoff for a national title or 2) finish outside the top-6 and play a team that finished somewhere in the top 7-10, basically close to where the ACC champ finished.

So you either play for a national title, or play against a team of similar calibre...

Just play the best available at-large team in the Orange Bowl. Does everyone forget the Big 12 did this for like 20 years?

So the ACC champion has one of two options: 1) Finish in the top-6 and play in the playoff for a national title or 2) finish outside the top-6 and play a team that finished somewhere in the top 7-10, basically close to where the ACC champ finished.

So you either play for a national title, or play against a team of similar calibre...

The problem with the Orange Bowl is that the ACC doesn't own that game like the SEC/Big 12 own their new game. So the Orange Bowl gets to pay the ACC whatever it feels like. If you own the game, you keep all the money.

The problem with the Orange Bowl is that the ACC doesn't own that game like the SEC/Big 12 own their new game. So the Orange Bowl gets to pay the ACC whatever it feels like. If you own the game, you keep all the money.

The bowls face the same realities as the ACC does. The more new games that start like the SEC/Big 12, the more they're pushed out of the spotlight. What's to stop the ACC from creating it's own new game in Atlanta, or wherever and play against a top at-large team without the nonsense of mandatory tickets that the teams must buy which sinks any profitability by the schools.

The egalitarian BCS payouts are over. The BCS is dead. There will be revenue sharing for the playoff, but not for the big bowls. Thus, you could see the Rose and the "Champion" bowls having double or triple the payout of the Orange Bowl. Each bowl will have to stand on it's own. This is why the Champion Bowl was such a game changer. Another way for the big boys to produce additional revenues that they don't have to share. The Orange Bowl with the ACC as the anchor has not been that successful over the past 10 years or so and it would not get top dollars this cycle. If FSU and Miami become relevant again, it would pay off next cycle.

So...as of this moment, the ACC is looking a little left out in the post-season bowl game match-up department.

Ok, it seems like everyone has a dance partner except us. But it doesn't have to be that way. And it certainly doesn't mean we have to dance with ugliest girl at the prom (Big East).

What if the ACC made a deal with ALL the other leagues to play a game between our champ and their highest rated team left on the board?

Below are last year's final rankings. With the new playoff system (assuming champs only), LSU would have played Oklahoma State and Oregon would have played Wisconsin, correct? So that would have put Michigan in the Rose Bowl with Stanford and Alabama against Kansas State in the SEC/Big 12 game. So by my rough estimates, the highest team left on the board is Arkansas. So Virginia Tech would play Arkansas in this new game and the ACC and SEC would split the profits. If a B1G or a BIG 12 team was the highest team, we'd play them instead.

Not a bad matchup, and I don't think any league would hesitate at having one of their teams play our champ in a premium game like that.

1. LSU 1.0000
2. Alabama .9419
3. Oklahoma State .9333
4. Stanford .8476
5. Oregon. 7901
6. Arkansas .7687
7. Boise State .7408
8. Kansas State .6827
9. South Carolina .6553
10. Wisconsin .6374
11. Virginia Tech .5190
12. Baylor .4977
13. Michigan .4794
14. Oklahoma .4603
15. Clemson .4218
16. Georgia .4119
17. Michigan State .3883
18. TCU .3869
19. Houston .3504
20. Nebraska .2606

Just throwing out one idea. Trying to start a dialogue and maybe it will reach the right ears. Seems like ACC needs to think out of the box.

well, thats basically what has happened, provided there is a poll decided final 4.

you will have the F4, the rose with the champ or runners up of the b1g and pac, the new champions bowl with the champ or runners up of the bevo and SEC, and the Orange with the champ or runner up of the ACC v ranked team x.

what needs to be settled is how the bowls will truely be used.

if i was the fiesta, id be sweating bullets. the ACC? not so much.

The egalitarian BCS payouts are over. The BCS is dead. There will be revenue sharing for the playoff, but not for the big bowls. Thus, you could see the Rose and the "Champion" bowls having double or triple the payout of the Orange Bowl. Each bowl will have to stand on it's own. This is why the Champion Bowl was such a game changer. Another way for the big boys to produce additional revenues that they don't have to share. The Orange Bowl with the ACC as the anchor has not been that successful over the past 10 years or so and it would not get top dollars this cycle. If FSU and Miami become relevant again, it would pay off next cycle.
Exactly. And as much as we'd all hate to admit it, re-alignment is a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's driven by fear. So the more we talk about it, the more likely it is to happen. People get scared and do dumb things. Create a new revenue stream (like this) and there's less fear. Less reason for people to switch leagues.

I think the idea of signing to play the next best team is the best possible option.

One problem could be how badly do the other teams want to hurt the ACC. Do they play hard ball and say our next best team will play on of the other 4 conferences next best team?

If the other conferences are open to this suggestion, the ACC champions bowl becomes attractive very quickly. If someone went back and did the same analysis that the OP did, but did it for the last 20 years, and showed what the ACC bowl matchups would have been, I bet that more often than not, that is a pretty attractive bowl game. I would imagien VPI vs Arkansas is at least as attractive as Bama-KSU.

Problem is, the Orange Bowl always had a large pool of Independent teams to choose from 20 years ago (Miami, FSU, Penn State, Pitt, etc...). Even the big conferences didn't have pre-arranged deals in place for their 2nd or 3rd place teams back then.

If the B1G, SEC, and Bevo12 all commit their 4-5 best teams to long term bowl contracts, just who would the best available at-large team be???

Notre Dame? BE Champ? CUSA runner-up?

I think it's simple, just take the best team available, period. What if the SEC has a 12-0 LSU vs a 12-0 Florida...the loser has to go somewhere. The ACC is on the outside looking in right now so personally I don't care who they invite as long as it's the best quality team available, this is why the Fiesta Bowl took off the way it did, everyone had a tie in and the others needed a place to go. So...the Orange can take a ND, BE, SEC, Big 10, Big 12 or PAC and offer enough cash to make it worth it...better than any second place bowl the "big 4" could offer. Make it a pseudo 3rd BCS bowl since they already have the Rose and Sugar. Here's where ESPN can work some of its magic.

You have to remember that the other conferences have tie ins for their top teams already. The Cotton Bowl is B12 number 2 vs SEC 3 or 4. The Capital One is Big 10 number 2 vs SEC 2. Outside of Notre Dame, Big East, or Navy/BYU/MWC, there is not a natural partner for the Orange Bowl.

One last point, say the ACC champ is a top 4 team and makes the playoff. The playoff system just sucked the best ACC team out of the Orange Bowl which could make the Orange Bowl even less attractive.

Problem is, the Orange Bowl always had a large pool of Independent teams to choose from 20 years ago (Miami, FSU, Penn State, Pitt, etc...). Even the big conferences didn't have pre-arranged deals in place for their 2nd or 3rd place teams back then.

If the B1G, SEC, and Bevo12 all commit their 4-5 best teams to long term bowl contracts, just who would the best available at-large team be???

That's a good point and I don't have the solution. I just know the solution isn't the world is ending.

1. LSU 1.0000
2. Alabama .9419
3. Oklahoma State .9333
4. Stanford .8476
5. Oregon. 7901
6. Arkansas .7687
7. Boise State .7408
8. Kansas State .6827
9. South Carolina .6553
10. Wisconsin .6374
11. Virginia Tech .5190
12. Baylor .4977
13. Michigan .4794
14. Oklahoma .4603
15. Clemson .4218
16. Georgia .4119
17. Michigan State .3883
18. TCU .3869
19. Houston .3504
20. Nebraska .2606

I like the idea of ACC v. the World in the Orange Bowl.

This is what i think is going to happen. They are going to back door this thing into their own party.

Pac #1 vs BIG#1
Pac #2 vs SEC #2
Pac #3 vs B12 #3
BIG#2 vs B12 #2
SEC#3 vs BIG #3
etc

If a group of people dont invite you to their party, what can you realistically do about it?

Its my opinion, that the Factories dont want to relinquish the money or power. If everyone had the same shot at a title, kids would choose to spread out and go elsewhere. Give ConfUSA a seat at the table and one or two teams would suddenly become BCS competitive in a matter of years.

I can't believe the govt doesnt get involved here.

This is what i think is going to happen. They are going to back door this thing into their own party.

Pac #1 vs BIG#1
Pac #2 vs SEC #2
Pac #3 vs B12 #3
BIG#2 vs B12 #2
SEC#3 vs BIG #3
etc

If a group of people dont invite you to their party, what can you realistically do about it?

Its my opinion, that the Factories dont want to relinquish the money or power. If everyone had the same shot at a title, kids would choose to spread out and go elsewhere. Give ConfUSA a seat at the table and one or two teams would suddenly become BCS competitive in a matter of years.

I can't believe the govt doesnt get involved here.

I agree.

The effort to consolidate the money should be investigated.

I agree.

The effort to consolidate the money should be investigated.
OPa, its a pro world.

i have no idea why the masses continue to take a snapshot of the here and now and project it to the future as the then and definitive??

the ACC is not getting left out. the 'big boys' will want a 'Wild Card', maybe 2...maybe 3.

this is how we get a playoff!!

the threat of the big 4 shutting off the rest of the US does this.

relax, this is all good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom