ACC Football Schedule Model Release | 6 PM | Syracusefan.com

ACC Football Schedule Model Release | 6 PM

BVille44

All Conference
IMG_2743.jpeg

Pitt Louisville Clemson FSU annually and then play everyone else every 6-7 years is what I expect.

Pitt Louisville Clemson FSU annually and then play everyone else every 6-7 years is what I expect.
Don’t think we are getting more annual rivals. Probably getting less. Maybe just Pitt. Some say also BC.

Biggest hopes:

If we do play BC and Pitt annually, stagger them so we play one at home every year.

Retain the UM game for 2024. We have been waiting a long time for that one.

In 2025, we are currently scheduled to play at Clemson, at FSU and at ND. That needs to be changed. That year we are also scheduled to play UT in Atlanta, essentially another game on the road for us.

No one should he asked to do that.

Thought they were going to the 2-7-7 format

The consensus on our board is that they'll follow the B1G model and have a bunch of designated games that will be "sacrosanct" (like UNC-Duke and UNC-UVa) and not a designated number for each team.

The consensus on our board is that they'll follow the B1G model and have a bunch of designated games that will be "sacrosanct" (like UNC-Duke and UNC-UVa) and not a designated number for each team.
As long as we get annual Pitt & BCU games and rotate through the others evenly (with a home Miami game that the ACC has kept from us) then we should be fine.

Thought they were going to the 2-7-7 format
that would involve the 4 schools with sec rivals being okay with only 6 home games some years as that is the biggest deterrent with 9 conference games

im wondering with Army's move to aac starting next year if our non conference game is in jeopardy to be moved.

Don’t think we are getting more annual rivals. Probably getting less. Maybe just Pitt. Some say also BC.

Biggest hopes:

If we do play BC and Pitt annually, stagger them so we play one at home every year.

Retain the UM game for 2024. We have been waiting a long time for that one.

In 2025, we are currently scheduled to play at Clemson, at FSU and at ND. That needs to be changed. That year we are also scheduled to play UT in Atlanta, essentially another game on the road for us.

No one should he asked to do that.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Live shot of the ACC Headquarters Scheduling Committee reading your concerns.

They'll look at that gauntlet as the only thing they refuse to change.

I think a hybrid 4 perm is the best for everyone. So at a minimum you play everyone every 3 years.

For example
UNC- would have Duke, NC State, UVA, Wake
FSU- would have Miami, Clemson, Cuse/BC, GA Tech/Louisville

So UNC plays those 4 teams yearly and everyone else once every three years. FSU plays Miami and Clemson yearly, SU/BC/GT/Louisville 2x in three years, and everyone else once in three years. So they get their Northeastern game 2x in 3 years but more variety. They also get GA Tech more often. So they have 4 "perms" but the perms are regions and not individual schools.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Live shot of the ACC Headquarters Scheduling Committee reading your concerns.

They'll look at that gauntlet as the only thing they refuse to change.
When the schools had their meetings to work out the new model, I am sure every school was asked for a list of requests for things that were really important to them that they wanted as part of the new model.

Most of the requests were surely tied to rivalry assignments.

UVa might have said they wanted to play UNC and VT every year. Narduzzi is already on record expressing concern that the old school ACC programs would want and get annual games against the schools close to them, while the newbies get screwed with a lot more traveling. Guessing that Syracuse gets paired with BC and Pitt in part based on concerns the schools from the Northeast are making.. Was surprised this was not a given from day one.

That said, there are clearly a lot more schools located close to each other around North Carolina and Virginia that have been playing each other for a long time than in other parts of the conference.

I hope they limit the maximum number of rival assignments to two so all ACC schools get to play each other more often. If some schools don’’t really have a rival (Louisville has been mentioned), don’t give them any.

The 2025 away game gauntlet currently set up for Syracuse is almost surely going to be broken up given all the changes the new model will force. I am least worried about that.

Should be interesting to see what happens..

When a new schedule model comes out, it presents a good opportunity to fix issues like the one where SU plays at BC and Pitt one year and at home the following year. And the ACC should look at situations like Syracuse and Miami, where Miami has never played at Syracuse since SU joined the conference. It would be horrible if that game gets pushed out further. IMHO, it is ridiculous it has taken what 10 years to get this game played. There have to be similar situations like this and games like it need to be prioritized for preservation.

When the schools had their meetings to work out the new model, I am sure every school was asked for a list of requests for things that were really important to them that they wanted as part of the new model.

Most of the requests were surely tied to rivalry assignments.

UVa might have said they wanted to play UNC and VT every year. Narduzzi is already on record expressing concern that the old school ACC programs would want and get annual games against the schools close to them, while the newbies get screwed with a lot more traveling. Guessing that Syracuse gets paired with BC and Pitt in part based on concerns the schools from the Northeast are making.. Was surprised this was not a given from day one.

That said, there are clearly a lot more schools located close to each other around North Carolina and Virginia that have been playing each other for a long time than in other parts of the conference.

I hope they limit the maximum number of rival assignments to two so all ACC schools get to play each other more often. If some schools don’’t really have a rival (Louisville has been mentioned), don’t give them any.

The 2025 away game gauntlet currently set up for Syracuse is almost surely going to be broken up given all the changes the new model will force. I am least worried about that.

Should be interesting to see what happens..

When a new schedule model comes out, it presents a good opportunity to fix issues like the one where SU plays at BC and Pitt one year and at home the following year. And the ACC should look at situations like Syracuse and Miami, where Miami has never played at Syracuse since SU joined the conference. It would be horrible if that game gets pushed out further. IMHO, it is ridiculous it has taken what 10 years to get this game played. There have to be similar situations like this and games like it need to be prioritized for preservation.
Once Maryland left, we only had two "must-haves", UNC and VPI. Using the B1G's new system we'd play them every year (one at home and one on the road like now) and rotate through everyone else with no problem for the schedulers.

Once Maryland left, we only had two "must-haves", UNC and VPI. Using the B1G's new system we'd play them every year (one at home and one on the road like now) and rotate through everyone else with no problem for the schedulers.

The problem is several teams have 3 to 5 teams that they want to play yearly. Part of the acceptance of going to 3 perms was that you play the non perms every other year. So it wasn't a big shift going from yearly to once in 2 years for teams that you give up. Now if you give up that 3rd perm you are playing that team 3x in 7 years (instead of yearly), and the prior games you gave up are now 3x in 7 years vs every other year. In both cases that is a lot to give up.

That is why IMO a 4 perm hybrid is the way to go. Also with 2 perms or the B1G silly format, UNC is going to have to give up one of Duke, NC State, UVA.

The B1G approach makes sense. Just protect the relatively few series that are sacrosanct (e.g. Miami-FSU, UNC-UVA) and rotate everyone else.

Honestly, I’m at the point where I don’t even care if we play Pitt and BC annually. Those are series with history, but not tradition. There’s nothing resembling an intense rivalry there.

The B1G approach makes sense. Just protect the relatively few series that are sacrosanct (e.g. Miami-FSU, UNC-UVA) and rotate everyone else.

Honestly, I’m at the point where I don’t even care if we play Pitt and BC annually. Those are series with history, but not tradition. There’s nothing resembling an intense rivalry there.
Pitt and BC are nice for the fan travel aspect for those who like to go to road games. But agree as far as intense rivalries. I don't exactly clear my schedule for the big Pitt and BC games when the schedule comes out.

The hybrid 4 perm solution. I did this quickly so there might be room to make swaps. Under this model you play full perms yearly, you play half perms twice in three years, and you play everyone else once in three years.

BC- SU, FSU/Miami, Pitt/VT, Stanford/Cal
Clemson- Wake, NC State, GA Tech, FSU
Duke- UNC, Wake, GA Tech, NC State/UVA
FSU- Miami, Clemson, BC/SU, GT/SMU
GA Tech- Duke, Clemson, FSU/Louisville, Cal/Stanford
Louisville- Pitt, SMU, VA Tech, GA Tech/UVA
Miami- FSU, BC/SU, SMU/VT, Stanford/Cal
UNC- UVA, Wake, Duke, NC State
NC State- Wake, UNC, Clemson, Duke/UVA
Pitt- SU, BC/VT, Louisville, Cal/Stanford
SU- Pitt, BC, FSU/Miami, UVA/VA Tech
UVA- UNC, VA Tech, Duke/SU, NC State/Louisville
VA Tech- UVA, Miami/BC, Louisville, SU/Pitt
Wake- NC State, UNC, Duke, Clemson
Cal- Stanford, SMU, GA Tech/Miami, Pitt/BC
SMU- Cal, Stanford, Louisville, FSU/Miami
Stanford- Cal, SMU, Miami/GT, BC/Pitt

Pitt and BC are nice for the fan travel aspect for those who like to go to road games. But agree as far as intense rivalries. I don't exactly clear my schedule for the big Pitt and BC games when the schedule comes out.
Precisely. They’re nice to haves, but far from critical from a conference standpoint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom