ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Hale is plugged into the ACC office.
i know who he is.

i like the fluff, but at the end of the day...these are football programs banding together in direct response to the action taken by the SEC and likely ESPN...for me to think theyre not going to find a way to match up marquis teams and the riff raff in some sort of scheduling agreement...is absurd.

its ignoring why theyre getting together in the 1st place.

the fluff is some strong stuff...they could use this as the reason to leave the NCAA.

Wonder what this means for the ESPN contract look-in?

• Deal Extends Availability of Disney’s Premier Sports, News and General Entertainment Programming Including ESPN’s ACC Network
  • Includes Direct Access to Disney+ and ESPN+ for NCTC Members’ Customers
Burbank, CA and Lenexa, KS – Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (NYSE: DIS) and the National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC) today announced a new, multi-year distribution agreement that will continue to make Disney’s robust lineup of sports, news, kids, family and general entertainment programming available to NCTC’s more than 700 small and mid-sized independent cable and broadband operators across the U.S.

As part of the deal, NCTC member operators will now offer the ACC Network to their customers, allowing fans and followers of the Atlantic Coast Conference to access the multiplatform network beginning September 1.

I don't know if this has been posted, it's from yesterday.

• Deal Extends Availability of Disney’s Premier Sports, News and General Entertainment Programming Including ESPN’s ACC Network
Burbank, CA and Lenexa, KS – Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (NYSE: DIS) and the National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC) today announced a new, multi-year distribution agreement that will continue to make Disney’s robust lineup of sports, news, kids, family and general entertainment programming available to NCTC’s more than 700 small and mid-sized independent cable and broadband operators across the U.S.

As part of the deal, NCTC member operators will now offer the ACC Network to their customers, allowing fans and followers of the Atlantic Coast Conference to access the multiplatform network beginning September 1.

does this mean that the poster here who lives in not only the only town in connecticut, but the only town East of the Mississippi, that doesnt get the ACCN...will now get it??

well this will save us a few hundred posts to sift through on game days.

Amen,

Lenexa is like 20 minutes from me and I have never heard of the National Cable Television Cooperative.

I meant more what does an impending alliance with two Fox Sports partners mean to the ACC contract with ESPN? Are we trying to turn the screws on ESPN or have we given up on a better package and hope the alliance allows the conference to survive until the next tv deal?

everything is negotiable.

what do those schools want?

if its midwest exposure, then boom...usc & stanford get to play M, W & OSU.

if they also want the East Coast?...get ready for Cuse/rutgers-USC at Giants Stadium as well as games with Clemson, Fla St etc.

i love nd-usc, but if it has to go to form the alliance...it goes.

and if nd joins it, by joining the ACC...then it can come back.

theres no guarantees in life, son.

the Alliance will be calling the shots...and they got the Rose Bowl and likely the Orange already.
I think that The Alliance should agree that we play no more 1AA/FCS games. We also need to agree to play at least 2 P4 OOC games per year. That second would guarantee all kinds of matchups among ACC, BT, and Pac.

I do not think that The Alliance should act to stop either annual in-state rivalries that would involve a school in the SEC or the ND-SC rivalry. However, ND vs. Stanford is a new thing, and it can just be on a rotation - assuming that ND as a football independent gets to be part of The Alliance or when Stanford wishes to play ND and 2 schools in The Alliance.

And al that brings up this question for debate: the value to the ACC of the deal with ND is two-fold: TV ratings from playing ND 5 times per season and a bump in league recruiting from playing ND 5 times per season. But if ACC football will be regularly seeing teams like PSU, Ohio St, Michigan, Mich St, Wisconsin, Nebraska, SC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, then how much do we need ND?

Interesting they brought up the number of sports sponsored in average in each conference.

FYI, Syracuse only sponsors 18. Not good.

Sounds like the alliance might proposes some changes to require student athletes to spend more time in the classroom. I wonder what they are thinking here? I thought I read the alliance was considering requiring all members to only play FBS opponents in football in the fall, with the possibility of playing a couple of exhibitions type games against FCS opponents in the spring. Possibly require a game against a school in each of the other two conferences in the alliance each year. I could see that driving some major increases in TV money (and really hurting G5 and FCS programs).

These concepts seem to be in conflict. Hmmmmm.
Woohoo, Syracuse to the SEC! :p

"... But if ACC football will be regularly seeing teams like PSU, Ohio St, Michigan, Mich St, Wisconsin, Nebraska, SC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, then how much do we need ND?"
100% valid question. I'd argue that we do, that we are better off with the Irish riding sidecar in football (5 annual games), but this upcoming alliance certainly (at least at face value) reduces that need.

If ND left the ACC, this alliance would (if it includes a two OOC game agreement) put a bit of a squeeze on ND's scheduling operation. It would not make it insurmountable the Golden Domers, just a bit more challenging. I suppose they can always get games with the Big 12 leftovers, plus their steadies at USC, Navy, Stanford, (BYU - less so), etc.

I hope the Pac-B1G-ACC realize that 12 playoff teams is looney and that the right number is eight. That, too, would make ND's path forward more challenging.

Seems the only goal the Alliance has for now is to block the playoff expansion. Long term the focus will be on TV revenue, scheduling, NIL, academics, etc.

This seems to be a key passage...

Perhaps the bigger question facing the alliance, however, is one of philosophy. According to multiple administrators directly involved in conversations, the advent of new name, image and likeness rules and the emphatic Supreme Court ruling in the Alston case have many schools concerned about the future of athlete compensation. As one AD noted, the SEC seems to have made its plans for the future known by adding Texas and Oklahoma in "a money grab," and the immediate conversations among alliance members will hinge on questions of whether there's another way forward that holds truer to the historic view of amateurism -- both in the short and long term.

Take this along with the talk about academic fit and it seems like the Alliance doesn't want to follow the semi-pro path of the SEC. I think we're heading into a zone of diminishing returns when it comes to college athletics. If the future is ADs with budgets as large as the medical or professional schools on campuses, the Alliance might decide ultimately that it's time to cut bait and settle for athletic competition at a lower level. I'd be fine with that because the alternative is the eventual gutting of the university's academic mission for the sake of athletics.

Can we sign him to a long term contract?

Wildhack has shown he’s happy to move a Syracuse coach to another job if it’s their “dream job”.

Perhaps JB now dreams of the simplicity of coaching golf again?

I can already hear him… “we just didn’t make enough shots”.
“It’s an easy game when the ball goes in the cup”. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom